Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mini Tour Switzerland, little bit of Austria, little bit of Italy and back.
  • growinglad
    Free Member

I’ve been having an urge to go for a mini tour and managed to pull something together by taking a four day weekend, finally took my Tripster for a Trip.

The Stelvio pass was closed to traffic on Saturday so incorporating the pass into a route, I went for a ride.

Friday and Saturday was spent in the company of two others, Sunday and Monday I went it alone.

About 460 km’s and 7000m of climbing. Good fun, but experience now tells me to cut down on the daily distance if carrying gear and only attempt passes up until 14:00, after that, stop and tackle it the next day.

There were a few other people

Top of the Stelvio Pass….a few people tackled this on hand bikes..RESPECT!!

Plenty of Lovely scenery

One night camping.

Plenty of Paths like this, but a few others who were stretching the limits of being called a cycle route

On my way over the pass to Andermatt I had to take the train, I know that if I had attempted it, it would have taken the shine off a nice ride and I’d pay for it later….but thankfully there was a station at the top so I still got to enjoy the descent

Finally one more cracking view on my way back home

All in all, great four days riding…problem is I now fancy going a bit further a field….

philholmes
    Free Member

I did the pass on Saturday too, I spotted a guy coming down on a Uni cycle, he was about 10 km from the bottom.

I have no idea if he went to the top, but was very strange to see 🙂 Also surprised by the amount of people who decided to ride up on mtb’s, there are more fun places to bike than up a road.

growinglad
    Free Member

What bike were you riding…I might have spotted you 😉

I saw a uni cyclist too…..I thought that was a bit strange

Spotted a FAT e-bike….niche!!!

There was one Italian guy on a shopper with opera playing wearing flip flops…..fair play, every time I saw him, he was chatting away, quite a character.

Enjoyed the ride up, but couldn’t wait to leave the top….that was a bit too full on for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philholmes
    Free Member

I was on pretty boring grey canyon endurace with boring black and white top, very indistinct, but if you heard someone swearing at a mounting a lot, then that might have been me.

we didnt set off until 11am ish and was on top just before 2pm, was far too busy, we just stayed for a coke and then headed down the Umbrail pass to the car.

Was really nice having no cars on the descent.

Wow, just looked at your days in more detail, impressive distances! I live in Davos, love the Fluela pass, it is a much nicer road than the stelvio. Also the Albulapass is a cracker, great choice of routes!

growinglad
    Free Member

I think we started around 09:30.

My biggest mistake was riding the Fuornpass after the Stelvio…not sure what I was thinking when I planned that one….it was hot/dry and hard…Really suffered.

Then I had a head wind all the way to Samedan…as I was short of time I rode the road a lot which was mind numbing with the head wind. I think the stone path was much more enjoyable (thankfully I did a bit of that the next day). By the time I got to the campsite I was shot, didn’t even fancy a beer at the campsite bar (very unusual for me!!)

Yep, enjoyed Albulapass, did that one early so traffic was low and not too hot. Descent was cracking too.

Not sure I’d do the same daily distance again with kit. I was definitely on my limit….but nice to push yourself now and again.

Enjoyed the ride back from Andermatt to Zurich, seems quite funny to ride from the proper mountains to home.

Davos must be a cool place to be based, some lovely biking there. Next time I head down there I’ll give you a shout.

fatboyjon

Nice work. That looks and sounds like a fantastic few days pedalling.

donald
    Free Member

We did the descent from Andermatt to Chur last year as part of our Rhine Tour. What scenery. Absolutely beautiful day it was and topped off by sitting in a beer garden watching The Netherlands thump Spain in the World Cup.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mini Tour Switzerland, little bit of Austria, little bit of Italy and back.’ is closed to new replies.