Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)
  • Mini review – Transition Smuggler
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Hmmmm buy the last one or wait and see what new colours they bring out…..

pigyn
    Free Member

Bungalistic – call us for a chat. Some things just can’t be said in public 😀

deejayen
    Free Member

Bigjim, why isn’t the Following an option for Scotland?

bigjim

Bigjim, why isn’t the Following an option for Scotland?

Just my opinion, based on most rides being muddy for maybe 3/4 of the year, some horrifically so, to me there just looks to be too many areas that would hold and fill with mud, and general faff around the swingarm and shock linkage, and an awful lot of bushes or pivot bearings to replace.

In the pic below, those gaps between the seat tube and large flat panels of the swingarm are just going to fill up, and forward of the seat tube just seems a bit of a bucket for mud in which the shock and linkages sit. Also I’m not sure you could design in more pivot points if you tried.

Anyway I don’t want this thread to diverge into another Following thread, there are enough of those already, so lets stop there. Also I am not a bike journalist, nor a rad top level endooro rider, so my comments are moot 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

We don’t know

Hmmmm. Perhaps optimistically, Hong Kong distributor is saying end August. That may simply be a lie.

🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

Has anybody used a 2.3 Maxxis in the back of one of these? No rubbing?

pigyn
    Free Member

End of August + 5-6 weeks on a boat lands in the UK sometime between September-November?

2.3 Maxxis will be fine I think. It’s only really tall tyres that have an issue, so the 2.3 Vigilante scuffs (only just, I ran a worn one off my old Phantom for a month) now using a 2.4 Trailboss with plenty of room.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks, Bigjim. That makes sense now you’ve explained it!

GavinB

I don’t want this thread to diverge into another Following thread

Quite right! This is a Transition love-in 😀

I’ve not found mud to be a big issue up here though, although if I was still living in the Peak I might be a little bit nervous running a The Following (that sounds silly, doesn’t it) through the gloop.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

an awful lot of bushes or pivot bearings to replace.

4 pairs of bearings, same as in the Smuggler, the other 3 bolts you can see are the bolts for the flip chips, no bearings or bushings in there. Your other comments are potentially valid, the mud side of things was one of the plus points for the Smuggler over the Following for me, though ultimately landed on the side of the Evil. Both seem great bikes, I loved the Smuggler when I rode it.

bigjim

Ah I see, that’s not so bad then. I would worry about small stones and mud grinding away between the carbon faces on the swingarm and seat tube though.

mboy
    Free Member

Also I am not a bike journalist, nor a rad top level endooro rider, so my comments are moot

Hear hear! 😉

Looks rather nice I must say. Considered the Smuggler for a while, it looks like it should be a great bike to ride. Had a chat at Hopton on Monday with a guy riding a Scout, he was very complimentary about it.

FWIW my Following has already had an outing in some pretty horrific mud with 2.3″ tyres still fitted, and the outcome wasn’t as bad as I/you/the Internet may have feared! That said, I ride a HT on my local trails for 4-6 months of the year anyway, as there’s no benefit to a full Sus round here when it’s muddy.

Enjoy your new bike! It seems slightly less “Marmite” than mine at least…

GavinB

Enjoy yours too! Sounds amazing.

mccett
    Free Member

Good review Gav and from experience of mine I agree. Had mine about 2 months and I have been surprised at how it climbs and how well it descends for such small travel.
    Its my first fs 29er, and bought it after riding my Longitude for a few months and realising that 29er was for me. Never rode my full sus (Mega/Fritzz/Hustler) round our local woods as they always felt like overkill but the Smuggler is all I have ridden since I got it and I think the short travel helps with that.
    Built up my Large frame with Pikes, WTB Frequency rims on Hopes, Middleburn cranks, Carbon Renthal bars, SLX Brakes and a non-dropper Thomson post and it is 30lb 7oz according to the Park scales in the LBS, probably lightest FS Ive had.
    Best thing about it, its doesn’t look like a 29er… mate on a ride says “Cant believe you’ve gone to 650b, thought you’d be 26 forever”
    “Its a 29er”
    “Is it??”

johnny

Good review this- I was looking for something similar last year, ended up buying a Devinci Atlas Carbon, which gave me a very similar experience as a first full-sus 29er, as a ride which is very capable downhill and in the tight stuff, but really light and efficient for longer rides.

The Devinci has a similar BB height and short rear stays. It has 110mm of rear travel, which has also felt enough in rough terrain. The head angle of the Smuggler is considerably slacker though. I’m running 120mm SIDs on mine, as it is my ‘XC’ bike, but I could build it with 130-140mm Pikes if i wanted burlier.

As I have a Yeti SB66 as well, I prefer the Devinci as a lighter trail bike, but if I was to have only one bike, the Smuggler would be ideal. Cable routing is much better too, as is the threaded BB…!

Edit- and I’ve also had the same comments- people thinking it was 650b until I told them!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good Rockshox piece on suspension setup over on Vital. They used the Smuggler as the test sled for all the journos to test out different settings, then chucked it down various runs at Whistler. Who said 29ers were for XC mincers 😆

GavinB

Well, I guess the person who was asking if it was ok on 3-4 ft drops should be happy now, seeing as it was used to smash out run after run on Whistler Bike Park. Some good notes there – I’ve added one extra token already, as I was finding it running through the travel on the fork too easily, even at correct pressure and quite a lot of LSC added. The extra token seems to have worked nicely, so I’m now running just a few clicks of LSC, but it holds up enough under heavy braking and still uses all the travel on the biggest hits.

Not played around with the shock yet though, so may try to get myself a nice evening to work on that.

bigjim

I don’t think there is an answer to questions about riding 3-4 foot drops, BMXers happily land bigger drops than that to concrete all day. I’ve ridden 2-3 foot max on my Smuggler and it was fine, but I’ve also ridden them on my hardtail which was also fine, just with more swearing.

floki
    Free Member

Tenacious D

The large sold?

Yes, sorry that was me (funnily enough after CharlieM’s comments its replacing a Pyga OneTen).

Hopefully another Smuggler out on Deeside / Ballater / Cairngorm trails this weekend.

pigyn
    Free Member

HOLY SMUGGLER BATMAN! STOP PRESS!

The medium Smuggler is now reserved BUT –

We have just managed to secure another large Teal. The holy grail, the ever wanted frame, the unobtainium.

Just don’t ask who we had to kill to get it.

So then if anyone wants a Large Teal Smuggler we will have one as of tomorrow. And this really is the last one, we mean it this time. Honest. No Really.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

roverpig

Just wondering how you guys are getting on with your Smugglers. Has the honeymoon effect worn off yet?

I think the new models were released over the weekend, but there don’t seem to be many firm details out there yet. It looks as though they raised the BB by 4mm and increased the rear tyre clearance (by moving the bridge up a bit and dropping the rear travel to 110mm). Most importantly it now comes in safety orange. Not sure if there were any other changes and I doubt that anybody has ridden the new version yet.

bigjim

Still digging mine!

bungalistic
    Free Member

Liking mine, looks and rides lovely

roverpig

Thanks. Anything you don’t like though? For example, would you prefer to have the option to run a 2x setup for longer days out? Are pedal strikes driving you mad? etc.

pigyn
    Free Member

Still loving it, ace bike.

Not too sure where this drop to 110 rear travel is coming from, all of the information we have states staying at 115.

BB 5mm higher (should be good, I am running 140mm forks to do the same thing)
    Improved tyre clearance
    More progressive shock tune.

Orange.

2016 Transition Preview

roverpig

Not too sure where this drop to 110 rear travel is coming from, all of the information we have states staying at 115.

Sorry, that was my mistake. There was a thread over on MTBR yesterday saying that it had dropped to 110mm and speculating that this was to accommodate a raising of the bridge (for improved tyre clearance). But I see that there has now been a post from Transition Bikes on that thread confirming that it is staying at 115mm. Not many other details though, which is strange as I thought they were launching the new models at Crankworx last weekend.

pigyn
    Free Member

Their new website will go live over the next few days with everything except the ‘new’ bike, which is being shown at Eurobike I think.

deviant
    Free Member

Do you do much jumping on it? i’d like it to handle 3-4 feet drops but i’m not sure the 77mm of travel (after the sag point) would handle this well.

It will be fine, how do you think people jump hardtails with zero rear travel?!…..

Lovely bike by the way, I really like the mismatched travel thing that lots of the manufacturers are doing now.
    It’s like they’ve finally realised that not everyone wants to wallow around in 160mm of rear travel, it’s like pedalling through treacle on most of the ones I’ve tried recently….if I was buying a trail full-suss at the moment this would be on the shortlist with the Mega-TR, Orange Segment, On-One Codeine etc….fun, burly and aggro up front but taut and efficient out back….like a reverse mullet if you like?!

bigjim

Smuggler is party up front, business out back.

I do get a lot of pedal strikes but I run big flat pedals on 175 cranks. When funds allow I might get some 170 crunks. The bike I had before also had a low bb so I’m used to it.

jairaj

i’d like it to handle 3-4 feet drops but i’m not sure the 77mm of travel (after the sag point) would handle this well.

Have a look at the videos on the Transition website. They are riding quite aggressively over some technical terrain and the bikes seem to cope fine. Short of using it regularly for DH I think the bike will be fine with what you throw at it.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What fork travel up front are people running??
    I’ve preordered a 16 frame, thinking of a Pike up front with either 130 or 140 travel. I think the bike comes specced with 130, but I’m tempted to try the Megavalanche next year, so leaning more towards 140. I know the Scout etc might be a better bike for the mega, bla bla, but I think the smuggler would be a better all round weapon for the kind of riding that I do. And that fact that I already have two 29ers 😆 .

Cheers!

roverpig

Reading around, a lot of people seem to be running a 140mm fork on the Mk1 bike, but the BB has been raised by 5mm on the Mk2, so I think I’d be tempted to stick with the recommended 130mm if it were me.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Right. Didn’t think that would make a huge amount of difference? 10mm extra travel is about 3-4 mm extra BB height maybe? Mainly concerned with steering characteristics.

roverpig

You could be right. I wasn’t basing my comment on anything more than the fact that the BB was a bit higher now so I’m not sure I’d want to make it higher still. But it may be just fine.

Steering would be a bit slower (slacker HA), but whether you’d notice probably depends more on how sensitive you are to such things. Are you going for a 51mm offset fork?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Probably no right or wrong.

Are you going for a 51mm offset fork?

Not sure tbh. Ive spent most my time on XC race type bikes (apart from 6 weeks on a DH bike in Whistler), so I imagine non offset might be best for me, apart from 6 weeks on a DH bike in Whistler. Any suggestions there?

bigjim

I have a 140mm MRP Stage, but it is closer to the length of a 130mm Pike, or I’d have it at 130

roverpig

Not sure tbh. Ive spent most my time on XC race type bikes (apart from 6 weeks on a DH bike in Whistler), so I imagine non offset might be best for me, apart from 6 weeks on a DH bike in Whistler. Any suggestions there?

Again, I’m not sure there is really a right answer, but the bike was designed around a fork with 51mm offset. If you use a fork with less offset (46mm used to be the standard for 29ers, but 51mm is getting more common) that will slow the steering down too. Using a fork that’s 10mm longer than the designers intended may not make much difference. Using a fork with 7mm less offset may not make much difference. Doing both may make a difference, but as I say, it depends how sensitive you are to such things.

GavinB

I’m running 140mm Pikes, although had forecast that I would fettle them down to 130 as that is what is spec’d on the full builds. 2 months in, and I’m keeping them at 140, as nothing feels compromised and it climbs and descends exactly as I want it to.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Good to hear Gav.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Mini review – Transition Smuggler’ is closed to new replies.