Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mini Maglite LED upgrade…?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Quite attached to my old AA mini maglite, but the light output and battery life are very last century…

I’ve googled LED upgrades, and see a few £10-20 upgrades – just wondered if anyone had dabbled and what the results are like

Cheers !

CountZero

I got an LED upgrade to a three-cell Maglite, and was not impressed. For ten-twenty quid, you can get much smaller lights, that put out a lot more light. I’ve got three of these: http://dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912
    Amazing little light, works really well on a Twofish lock-block mounted on bars or helmet as a commute light, or evening ride light. I’ve been using mine for several years now, and they’ve never let me down.

chudsy
    Free Member

For a bit more than the price of the upgrade kit you can get a much better torch. I went for an Olight S15 baton from Amazon, lots brighter than same size Maglite.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The upgrades are pants. Maglite allowed themselves to be left behind in the LED revolution. Even an upcoming Lidl £7.99 special torch will spank a maglite.

rkk01
    Free Member

Hmmm. I’ve got a more modern, cheap, bright LED torch….

(It’s buried and unused in a car door pocket IIRC)

… But the maglite is a nice chunky bit of metal and I’ve had it for ages. Like an old bike, it’s a little bit of niceness, in need of something to freshen it up 😉

hot_fiat

Got three terralux upgrades from the torch site in my AA and AAA Maglites. They absolutely transform the torches. Beam remains focusable, you get a much better light output and the increased battery life. Definite worth the cash ime.

failedengineer

Like you, I didn’t want to throw my Maglite AA torch away, so I got the 1W LED conversion. Plenty of light for tinkering with my bikes and motorbike, which is what it gets used for. Batteries appear to last forever.

Stoner
    Free Member

a few years ago I got a single LED unit with a ballast/resistor integrated for a AA mini maglite. It’s better than the bulb that came stock, but it’s not earth shattering.

I cant find the same thing online and Im not surprised.

It isnt even 5% of the brightness of a £5 deal extreme AA CREE unit.

Maglites might be aesthetic, but they’re crap. Bin it and get something from DX.

butcher

I bought a mini maglite and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Build quality is very good, but that’s about it. It would maybe be useful for reading a book in the dark…

posiwev
    Free Member

I’ve got the teralux conversion including 3 level switch, makes a big difference, OK not as bright as the chinese stuff, but the Maglite is a high quality item, you won’t be disappointed IIRC around 20 quid inc shipping from the US

hardupdad
    Free Member

Why not just buy a maglite as led for £25? Proper good and saves upgrading

onandon
    Free Member

Not really as you can buy a far better flashlight for £25.

The upgrades are ok but you can buy a £5 deal extreme aa light that will blow it away.
    I collect flashlights and I started with an led mag lite drop in module 9 years ago 🙂 technology has moved on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mini Maglite LED upgrade…?’ is closed to new replies.