Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mini HiFi Advice
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Going to be getting a new hifi in the next few weeks hopefully and was looking for some opinions/reviews based on the following:
    – budget about £300
    – must have iPod connectivity, DAB and CD
    – must be smallish as it needs to fit on a shelf with limited vertical space

The few I’ve been looking at mainly are all Sony (our current mini system is a Sony and can’t really fault it). Theres one for about £230 with an iPod dock and DAB etc. Looks quite nice. But another £100 gets you wifi connectivity so I can stream music stored in iTunes (so I’m told as I’m running Windows 7 which allows this) from our PC wirelessly. A nice touch. Another option is the now discontinued Sony Gigajuke which I’ve see knocking about eBay etc new/boxed for sub £200 with an 80GB hard drive, iPod, DAB etc.

But, I’m thinking should I be looking at something other than Sony. A quick look on Richer Sounds’ website gives me some more options like Onyko, Marantz etc but I’d need to buy speakers, cable etc.

Anyone have any reccommendations?

Cheers
    Dave

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I recently bought an Onkyo, there’s a thread about it of you search. It’s a brilliant bit of kit, but budget more for speaker if you want to get the best out of it.

I went form some really nice Wharfdales – cheapo shelf speakers really didn’t do it justice.

Really can’t recommend the Onk highly enough though, it’s the CR-545 I think… Sound quality is easily comparable to a separates system costing much more. Good iPod interface too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Here’s the link…

JPcapel
    Free Member

A massive shout here for the Denon M38.
    Has all you want, regularly wins WhatHiFi’s mini solo hifi shoot outs.
    I’ve had the original M37 and now the M38 – which works with all Ipod variations.
    I have used Denons own speakers which I believe I am right in saying are made by Mission, they are pretty good, but the system really benefits from something better. I use Monitor Audio speakers and it sounds class.
    The Onkyo is a copy of the Denon IMHO, Marantz offering is meant to be good, but costs more. Arcam do a solo unit, but again loads more dosh.
    The denon is hard to bet, I have one, My dad has one, really are brilliant. My LBS (Nirvana) is run by a hifi nut, he has one in his workshop !

RustyMac

I have an Onkyo CR515 it is about 5 years old now, i had to get an external dock for it for my iPod but the sound is briliant for what it is. My mum bought one shortly after i got mine and she really likes it and recently my girlfriend decided she wanted a stereo for her flat so i picked up one for her cheap second hand from ebay. All three are still going strong and have had no problems.

I think the CR545 is the updated vesion of mine and it now comes with an intigraded iPod dock. i don’t know if the speaker quality has suffered over the years but the standard onkyo ones that came with my mum’s and girlfriends CR515’s are pretty damn good, i have a pair of tannoy mercuray F1 custom spakaers on my hi-fi and it does sound a bit better but not massively in my oppinion.

TheGingerOne

I also have the Denon with some bookshelf size Monitor Audio speakers and am very pleased with it for the price.
    I also think that it is really good that you can buy the Denon with or without speakers and the price reduction for without speakers is not a pee take (as the reviews I saw all recommend getting other speakers)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Only thing about getting a system with a iPod dock is that it will be pretty redundant in a few years when iPods have moved on an it won’t fit any more.

Better to get an external dock with a connection to Aux, if you ask me. Then you get use whatever dock is appropriate to future devices.

TheGingerOne

Thats the good thing about the Denon as its not an iPod doc but uses the iPod cable via the USB slot with iPod/ iPhone support (I don’t have an iPod).
    Pretty sure any storage device can be attached to it via the USB as well. Works with my Sony MP3 player at any rate.

DezB
    Free Member

Only thing about getting a system with a iPod dock is that it will be pretty redundant in a few years when iPods have moved on an it won’t fit any more

Yeah, my turntable is pretty useless these days too 🙄

stumpy01

I keep thinking of ditching my NAD 3020i amp & CD player to get a NAD C 715 DAB CD Receiver.

One of these:

Think it costs about £350.

DezB
    Free Member

Just looked up the Denon on AV-Land – thought the “Make us an offer” link might be useful to potential buyers. http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/denon/1020/dm38/dm38.asp

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mini HiFi Advice’ is closed to new replies.