Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Mini eBay whinge
  • kimbers

Sold a wheelset with tyres

Buyer has got all upset, because there is tubeless residue inside the tyres, had 3 ranty messages, apparently they are scrap to him because of this!
    Gonna raise a case against me.

Im assuming eBay will back him

Not too bothered about the cash, just the hassle of it all!

Must be that #bluemonday thing

tjagain

Easy – offfer refund and he pays the postage

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Fairly typical of eBay unfortunately. I stopped using it a couple of years ago. Just too much hassle. Too expensive to buy stuff from, too much of a faff when selling. Too many plonkers out there.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Did you say there was tubeless residue?

For me its not a problem at all and it has no deleterious effect on anything, but some people just can’t control their OCD about stuff like this.

Can’t you just give them a refund and mark them on the ‘over reacting bell-end’ list, never to be dealt with again?

kimbers

Yeah I can, but in just getting lazy wanted the wheels gone.

I did mention they go up tubeless fine,but no didn’t explicitly say there was residue still inside, in quite lazy so would never occur to me you’d worry about tubeless residue !

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Shame, you’ll have paid for the outward postage costs which you cannot reclaim.

kerley
    Free Member

Fairly typical of eBay unfortunately.

Not really, just describe things properly in the listing. I put in very detailed listings if there are any flaws to point out along with very good photos and I sell everything buy it now (with immediate payment received).

Don’t seem to get the problems that way.

cookeaa

I think any reasonable person would expect a used tubeless tyre, which the seller stated has been inflated tubelessly, might have a bit of latex residue in it. Is he demanding anything by way of reparations yet?

Try a bit of Brinkmanship perhaps, If he’s not happy, he can return the whole item (wheels and tyres) if not then he is clearly happy enough with his used wheelset and is just chancing it to try and get some money knocked off and can therefore eff right off (or words to that effect)…

reformedfatty
    Free Member

As a tube running Luddite I can confirm that using tyres with tubeless residue in has almost no difference.. marginally less easy to pull the tube out to change it if that counts, because it glues itself to the tyre.. but thats it

kimbers

Sigh I’ve offered the guy a refund but he doesn’t want to pay postage, apparently the tyres will go in the bin, and it’s hours of work to remove sealant from rims (maybe 10 mins work) and one of the tyres is black chilli trail king that’s done 5 rides, wish I’d sold it to someone more deserving.

I dunno if im being trolled at this point.

Warning: avoid selling to anyone who’s ebay profile pic is his bulldog in front of his Audi, (bit Emily thornberry I know)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Item not as described or faulty then yeah seller pays return postage through the returns process. Ebay will almost certainly back him.

Sounds like he is being a bit OTT mind.

Seem to be getting more and more run ins with idiots on ebay nowdays.

Daffy

Let him raise a case. When/if eBay find in his favour, appeal and point out that EVERY used tubeless tyre listing on eBay has either mention of, or evidence of sealant residue. Any used tubeless tyre will have this, especially if it has been exposed to the air.

EDIT: Alternatively – Offer a full refund for the whole set, cancel the sale and pay the return postage.

Whereabout are the wheels now? Perhaps someone from STW could collect them and you can simply relist and dispatch from there. I’m in Bristol if it helps.

munrobiker
    Free Member

his bulldog in front of his Audi

Probably should have put them to second chance offer as soon as you saw this.

kimbers

Whereabout are the wheels now? Perhaps someone from STW could collect them and you can simply relist and dispatch from there. I’m in Bristol if it helps.

cheers for the offer

hopefully he cant be arsed with the hassle of reposting himself, would rather not be out of pocket over it all, but interested how far the guy is willing to go over a few grammes of dried up latex (if that is the real reason? maybe its the wrong axle size or something)

nigew
    Free Member

If you use the Ebay seller returns process the cost might not be as expensive as you think, they use a Track and Trace system with RM.
    (I only know because of two bulky returns I had late last year!)

DezB
    Free Member

Do you sell regularly? If not, let the twonk raise a case and lose. You just get your paypal and ebay frozen for 8 days. Withdraw the funds from your paypal before it happens!
    If people want clean, new stuff why do they buy 2nd hand ebay stuff? Twonks.
    Rare though, not “fairly typical”, IME.

tjagain

He is attempting to scam you to get money off. Offer refund thru ebay and then he will lose any case. He won’t accept the refund ‘cos he wants the bits – just wants money off.

kayla1
    Free Member

Buyer’s a cock. Offer either a full refund on return of the goods, or they can GTFO.

kerley
    Free Member

If people want clean, new stuff why do they buy 2nd hand ebay stuff?

Because not all 2nd hand stuff is dirty? I sell loads of things that are second hand but would be hard to tell from new. That is clearly stated in the listing so if an item that I sold was covered in latex I could understand the issue.

Would need to see the listing and the photos to really know if I would be claiming a refund.

retro83
    Free Member

Was this a tubeless ready wheelset and tyres?

angeldust
    Free Member

It’s a good idea to lower expectations when using ebay. Very good chance that any interaction will be with a complete doofus, PP included, or someone dishonest.

Andy

Good lord, what did the buyer expect?? So yeah, buyer either a dick, or trying to scam a partial refund. I have had this, and never offer partial refunds and say that on my listing. I always am very apologetic and very politley offer a full refund as the only option.

No point twking it to ebay imo as they always side with the buyer.

kimbers

heres the puppies

I was quite lazy and didnt clean them up before I sold them, theyve been sitting in the garage for ages and just wanted them out the door tbh.
    It never ocurred to me to look inside the tyres !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122893170754

its all part of lifes rich tapestry I suppose

kerley
    Free Member

{quote] also throwing in 2.4 Trail King (hardly used) [/quote]

That is the problem. Hardly used would suggest an almost new tyre and there is no mention of it being used tubeless or being covered in latex.

Saying that, for the amount of stuff obtained for £50 I would not have raised any issue with it.

sok

People are idiots. I once sold a porcelain figure (mother in law’s) with some slight damage that I fully described and took close up pictures of. Had buy it now price appropriate to the condition. Buyer was ‘disgusted’ by the condition and kicked up a fuss even though she admitted she hadn’t looked at the description. She didn’t get as far as asking for a refund but just left stinking feedback which I could do nothing about.

Have also had the tyre sealant thing. I just told the guy it was fine and gave him a few quid back to avoid any hassle.

DezB
    Free Member

Because not all 2nd hand stuff is dirty?

No, not all of it is. But some is. And to be expected.
    I bought a rear mech off the classifieds once and it was absolutely full of sand. I didn’t get upset, or rant at the buyer. I just cleaned it. It was second hand and cheaper than a new one.

the-muffin-man

I was quite lazy and didnt clean them up before I sold them, theyve been sitting in the garage for ages and just wanted them out the door tbh.
    It never ocurred to me to look inside the tyres !

After looking at your description they are clearly a tubeless set-up and therefore tubeless residue in the tyres is to be expected. You’ve made no attempt to hide their condition either! 😀

For £56 I’d tell him to do one – and let him raise a case.

retro83
    Free Member

That is the problem. Hardly used would suggest an almost new tyre and there is no mention of it being used tubeless or being covered in latex.

it also says

Wheels hold up tubeless fine and go up easy.
    Tubeless valves

What kind of numbnut would see these items advertised together and not make the connection that they’d been used together. Any sane person would think “hardly used” means “lots of treat left” not “used with tubes on a UST wheelset which includes tubeless valves”

DanW
    Free Member

As others have said, the guy has either been busted by his significant other for spending money and is regretting buying it all or is a chancer looking for money off.

Either way, I’d let it go through the ebay process as you don’t have much to lose, stating that you’ve said in the listing that they go up tubeless (ie sealant will have been in them as it is required for tubeless setups) and are described as having cosmetic wear but are fully functional- residue is cosmetic and they are fully functional.

There are many other things in the listing such as scratches and minor play (not to mention the tyres being muddy , shock horror) clearly indicate they are used but fully functional as described and the sealant is exactly the same. I wouldn’t lead with saying that though 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

Wheels hold up tubeless fine and go up easy.
    Tubeless valves

But the Trail King tyre is in the sale as an additional item with no mention of it being used tubeless or whether is has latex on it or not.

If I was listing I would have specifically stated that the tyre had been used tubeless and had latex on it. Having sold over 1,000 items with no problems I think that approach is a good one.

kerley
    Free Member

No, not all of it is. But some is. And to be expected.

It is only to be expected if the listing states it and the photos clearly show it. I don’t sell things without a very good description and very good photos and I don’t buy things without good photos and a good description.

I don’t have any issues buying or selling, maybe that is a coincidence….

Bez

bulldog in front of his Audi

Would certainly set off the “walk away” alarm bells here. Bonus dingalingaling if the bulldog was wearing a football shirt.

jamj1974

Buyer is taking the piss. £56 for wheels, cassette and tyres. He’s an idiot.

chakaping
    Free Member

What courier sends a set of wheels for a fiver Kimbers?

I’d make the buyer jump through as many hoops as possible purely for being a bellend.

bigyinn
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member

Buyer is taking the piss. £56 for wheels, cassette and tyres. He’s an idiot p**s taking chancer.
    FTFY

kimbers

myhermes! (yeah im a bad person)

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t sell things without a very good description and very good photos

Jeeeezuz! Ok YOU DON’T..! But SOME DO! Preachy! 😆

(I meant the other way around, didn’t I?)

Andyhilton
    Free Member

For 56 quid. I’d tell him to go and **** himself. Offer full refund and nothing else… What a ****.

taxi25
    Free Member

Buyer is taking the piss. £56 for wheels, cassette and tyres. He’s an idiot.

100%
    I wouldn’t refund anything in this case. Let him go through the ebay process and see where it goes.

Andy

Ebay process will side with the buyer virtually every time.

For £56 i’d politley insist he return the item, and if he does, just re-advertise and move on. Life is too short 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Mini eBay whinge’ is closed to new replies.