Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MINI Clubman – anyone got one?
  • rogg
    Free Member

Fed up with 27mpg from my SEAT, and thinking about chopping it in for something far more economical, but still vaguely interesting. I noticed the diesel Clubman will do 60mpg. The kids are only ever in the car for shortish trips, and my fiancee has a 7- seater mpv for when the whole gang’s together. I don’t think I’d manage with the boot space in the regular MINI though.
    Does anyone have any experience, of them, good points, bad points, pointers to decent forums etc?
    Thanks,

sputnik
    Free Member

Landcruiser on here owns the latest Clubman Cooper S diesel. He loves it, very nippy and economical. Will let him know about this post.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Selling a perfectly good car in order to buy a more economical is likely to cost you more money in the long run than you will ever save in fuel. The only real exception to this is if you trade down from a luxury car to a budget model, which isn’t really the case here.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rogg
    Free Member

I think in most instances you’re right, but I’d be spending not much more than the trade-in value of the SEAT, and as well as halving fuel costs, would also save on road tax (the MINI is either free or £30 a year, the SEAT is £280 a year). A fag packet calculation shows around £1500 a year saving. I’ll have to work it out exactly, but it certainly seems to be worthwhile.

ourmaninthenorth

Standard criticism: van doors are pointless; side door is on the wrong side.

Apart from that, they look OK.

Just contemplating one for Mrs North.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Yes, as Sputnik says, I have one and really like it. I had an E Class Mercedes before, which was lovely but was starting to cost (2004 car) and I spent most of the time in it on my own.

I find the MINI big enough for the three of us, and the dog on occasion. The hatchback MINI is just too small ! Oh, and I’m over 6ft, it’s quirky which I like and fun to drive… My last two cars were a Mercedes E320CDi Estate and then an E500 saloon, many good things but not ‘fun’and the MINI TLC servicing package takes some beating.

I do agree with gonefishin though, not worth changing JUST to get a bit more MPG. However if you are changing anyway, definitely worth looking at.

EDIT- And I find the rear door is on the correct side for ease of me letting people in the back and slinging jackets and stuff in.

rogg
    Free Member

Cheers LC, there’s a MINI dealership not far from me so I’ll stop by and take a look. I know I should be sensible and get a Micra or something, but I spend so much time in the car (or it seems that way,anyway) I want something fun.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MINI Clubman – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.