Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mini camper idea – inner tent – good idea?
  • thenorthwind

Recently bought a cheap Citroen Berlingo Multispace as a bike hauler/day van and I’m keen to see how it works out using it as a camper. I’m knocking together a rudimentary sleeping platform.

Been thinking about how to make it more comfortable to sleep in, as I’m aware of the issues with sleeping in a metal and glass box (which have also been well documented on a recent thread).

Rather than spend ages fitting stuff to the windows and then still having a load of metal cold bridges, my idea is this: make a big square fabric box, much like a tent inner, to hang from the four corners. Dead simple to make, dead easy to put up.

If this isn’t a stupid idea, question is what fabric? Normal tent inner fabric might be ok (I assume the idea is to largely trap the air underneath, whilst being a bit breathable) but something a bit thicker might work. Thicker cotton (or not breathable enough?). Synthetic micro fleece? Weight isn’t really an issue. Thoughts?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I would think you would still have the same condensation problems. You’ll still be kicking out moist, warm air into a cold van.

I slept in my old Discovery at many a race weekend without any prep – just slung a sleeping bag in the back and left the back door ajar for ventilation. Worked fine. Needed a decent sleeping bag though, I used a higher-rated bag than I would have used in a tent for a given outside temperature.

Worth giving it a bash as-is to see what the issues are before messing about making anything.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’d need to leave the windows open to get rid of the condensation.

It’s surprising how much water vapour a human body can kick out over 10hrs.

thenorthwind

Yeah, I’d be doing that either way. As a periodic inhabitant of a bivvy bag, I’m well aware how much vapour I can kick out 😀

towzer

as a wild idea – could you carry a driveaway awning or popup gazebo(etc type thingiembob) that sits over the back of the car ?

also see: small motorhpmes website

thenorthwind

Could do, but if I was going to do that I’d just put a tent up next to the car. Looking for a quick easy solution for events and stopovers on long journeys.

trail_rat
    Free Member

slept in the back of my berlingo many times

if i were to improve it id just make some insulated heavy curtains and an insulated screen cover for it to keep heat in and then fit wind deflectors so i could crack the front windows a little without a force 9 coming in.

certainly wouldnt bother trying to make a tent Condensation was never really too much of an issue for me bar having to give the windows a wipe in the morning …. and i still get that in my camper van even though it has propper and suffcient ventage ( but it also has a habitation heater and such like that makes for a big differential across the glass in winter)

thenorthwind

The idea is that the “tent” would replace the curtains/screen cover but just be a one piece thing that would be easier to make/put up than separate curtains for each window.

Wind deflectors so we can open the windows without letting wind/rain in are on the shopping list. Problem is, the rear ones are those crappy ones that hinge open a crack rather than winding down (though they have their advantages).

brassneck

Pop up Quechua ‘normal’ tent is probably quicker by the time you’ve re arranged your stuff?

trail_rat
    Free Member

just open the front windows instead of the wings.

as for tent vs curtains…. when i say curtains i mean the ones with the suction cups that you just push.

if your going to be setting up somekind of tent inside the car might as well set some kind of tent up outside the car . will be quicker.

i havea quecha 4 man tent with social area that goes up in less than 5 minutes

zanelad
    Free Member

I used to sleep in my Saab 900 at open meetings, saved the hassle of a tent.

It had hinged opening rear windows. With one open and the leeward front window open a little to get some through flow it was fine.

DickBarton

My previous Berlingo never had the rear windows closed, they were left open 24/7 in all weathers. Unsure how, but I never got rain in the rear of the vehicle…suspect it would be easy enough to rig up a wee ‘roof for the open window to ensure any rainfall doesn’t end up in the car though.
    Got a newer version now but it isn’t mine so the windows get closed whenever the car is left.

thenorthwind

Pop up Quechua ‘normal’ tent is probably quicker by the time you’ve re arranged your stuff?

Advantage of the van is a bit more space, and there being nothing wet to pack away in the morning/dry out when you get home.

if your going to be setting up somekind of tent inside the car might as well set some kind of tent up outside the car . will be quicker.

For what I have in mind to work it would have to be quick to put up. I’m thinking 4 or perhaps 6 hooks on the ceiling, one piece “tent” hooks onto each, job done. Like putting the inner into an “outer pitch first” tent. Should be quicker than putting individual suction-cup curtains on all 6 windows, the windscreen and the tailgate. In theory 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mini camper idea – inner tent – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.