Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mineral oil brakes and cold weather
  • RicB

Looking at buying some Magura Louise BATs but I’ve read several reports of both XT 775 and Magura brakes not liking cold weather. Both use mineral oil.

Quite a few reports on mtbr about it and a letter in one of the mags this month. Seems either the oil expands or the seals stiffen up and the brakes don’t work too well when temps drop to freezing.

Has anyone on here experienced this?

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Never suffered this on XT M760 and Saint M800 brakes that I’ve used in the past.

r6ymy
    Free Member

I have Magura Martas’ been out in freezing conditions many times, no problems. I can’t see how the oil would expand, although it might thicken at really extreme temperatures.

oxym0r0n

How timely!

My Marta’s have stopped working well, since I took them out in the snow last week and today 🙁

They have been newly bled after last week and were working perfectly (no leaks etc) yesterday but now I am pulling the levers to the bars…

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My deores on the commuter have not been affected whatsoever. I will concede my commute sn’t the most gruelling test of brakes.

Cold things generally shrink.

r6ymy
    Free Member

oxym0r0n – Are you sure you bled them thoroughly? They can be a bit of a pain to bleed, unless you have the new style master cylinder with the bleed port. Did you push and pull the fluid through the system, with the caliper oriented so the hose is vertical?

oxym0r0n

Are you sure you bled them thoroughly? They can be a bit of a pain to bleed, unless you have the new style master cylinder with the bleed port. Did you push and pull the fluid through the system, with the caliper oriented so the hose is vertical?

Yes. Followed the Magura workshop instructions to the letter and they were working like new yesterday on the Quantocks. Took the bike out at Cwm Carn today and slowly lost the front brake then the rear. I am not a happy bunny 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve found that in cold/damp conditions, there can be a bit of a “lag” when first using the brakes. This is resolved once they’ve been used a couple of time. You’ll notice this on any disk-braked vehicle (well – I’ve noticed it on cars. motorbikes and bicycles). I don’t think this is anything to do with the type of brake fluid though – my BB7-braked tourer exhibits the same phenomenon.

niloC
    Free Member

Not had a problem with my Marta BAT but my freehub froze when we stoped for a wee nip!

RicB

ok – sounds like it’s not been too much of a problem then 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

All winter I’ve had problems with my shimano (Lx and SLX) pistons seizing up. Not sure if it’s the cold or the mud to be honest, but either way it’s a PITA. The brakes still work, but usually one piston won’t retract meaning it grinds on the disc.

mushrooms
    Free Member

My Louise have been trouble free through long rides in freezing conditions, so cold Ice formed on the frame etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mineral oil brakes and cold weather’ is closed to new replies.