Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Minehead – Road bike or MTB
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So I’m going to the lovely Butlins this weekend with my boyfriend and his step son for a football tournament. I dont intend to watch football all day though so am planning to take a bike for either one or both days. Had originally planned to take the full suss and use my geocaching gps to follow an off road route but after a mooch about on the road bike at the weekend I’m wondering if I should swap to that instead. Might be a bit simpler perhaps to follow a set route when the road is right in front of you? What do any locals reckon as to which I should take or is anybody free to kindly let me follow them?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Quantocks are a stones throw away for the MTB or Exmoor for the road.

Exmoor is stunning if you want a nice chilled out day taking in the scenery. Minehead, Wheddon cross, Exford, Simonsbath, Lynmouth and back along the coast road to Minehead. The reverse of this is a tough one.

thepurist

Umm Exmoor for the MTB too. Some good riding from Minehead, head for Selworthy beacon, Porlock weir, horner woods etc

GolfChick
    Free Member

Should of said I want to be able to do it without having to drive! so straight from Butlins just to reduce annoyance on the football tournament.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Exmoor is stunning if you want a nice chilled out day taking in the scenery. Minehead, Wheddon cross, Exford, Simonsbath, Lynmouth and back along the coast road to Minehead. The reverse of this is a tough one.

Took the road bike and did something similar last year. Very nice it was too.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nice-road-ride-routes-from-dunster-minehead

GolfChick
    Free Member

Dont suppose you have a gpx of it? Is this all quiet roads or A roads and the like. I’d much rather a country lane type ride than main roads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Minehead to Simonsbath was all quiet roads when I did it (other than the bit between Minehead and Dunster). Was short on time so couldn’t do the full loop.

JAG

Either!

Head towards Dunkery Beacon, Wheddon Cross and Webbers Post and there are some brilliant trails and amazing roads (and steep hills!).

chrismac

There is a great route out of Minehead along the coast to the west for the MTB. Did it last autumn.

Rickos
    Free Member

Heh!
    GolfChick – I’m doing the rugby version at Butlins the weekend after you with my Under 7s team. No time for biking for me though.

Marko

MTB every time*
    Out of Minehead and along the coast bridleway, up to the Beacon and then head towards Wootton Courtenay, on to Dunster and back to Butlins.

* Not a roadie.

Hth
    Marko

Dibbs
    Free Member

If I was taking the MTB I’d head for the Quantocks (more trails in a smaller area), I’d choose the road bike for Exmoor and do something like Minehead, Dunster, Wheddon Cross, Dunkery Beacon, Porlock Minehead. (or Minehead, Dunster, Wheddon Cross, Exford, Simonsbath, Lynton, Lynmouth, Porlock Minehead if I was feeling fit).
    But bear in mind there’s some pretty nasty climbs.

GolfChick
    Free Member

If anyone can provide gpx routes my email is in profile seeing as no offers of a guide.

mrblobby
    Free Member

GolfChick, easy enough to knock something up using BikeHike based on what Dibbs suggested above.

ceepers

Or use this
    http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

And extract a gpx from any strava route you like the look of.

40mpg

Plenty of really good off-roading from Minehead. We’ve often stayed at the YHA just up the road from Butlins and ridden loads of routes from the door.

One of my favourites heads South out of Minehead, West through Wotton Courtenay, long drag up Dunkery, North into Porlock, then back across Selworthy with teh zig-zags back down into Minehead. Just link up via bridleways on the map.

The Dunkery bit is best done up via Dunkery Bridge, up to the top, then take the Macmillan Way descent East across the road. Turn left at the top of the tree line and across to Webbers Post, through the car park and follow the trails along the valley to Horner.

We’re in the Quantocks this weekend which will involve a lot of biking and a lot of a lot of cider drinking 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

How long do you want to go out for?

Minehead to Porlock via the beacon (from memory you can make it a loop along the coast path so you don’t repeat much/any) is a good day out but if you’ve only got a couple of hours you might be better on the road bike.

(sounds like what 40mpg is proposing)

S

pete68
    Free Member

I live in Minehead and either is really good straight from town. I prefer exmoor for mtb than the quantic as it’s quieter. The road options mentioned are also really good. Another option is down to Dulverton then across either Anstey common or Winsford hill to Exford /Simonsbath then back via Porlock. Tough climbing but very scenic.

phil56

There’s a group MTB ride in the area on Saturday – North Devon MTB on FB.
    Normally kicks off at 11, starting from different locations.
    If that interests you email me – as soon as the starting point is confirmed for this Saturday I could let you know.
    Phil

badnewz
    Free Member

Last time I went to Minehead (well Blue Anchor bay which is nearby) I took the mtb and went out with a couple of guides. We did Minehead to Porlock (great views) then went inland, did Horners Woods / The Granny Run, then up and down Dunkery Beacon…reminds me how much fitter I used to be.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

Minehead’s a great location for either. It is at the steep end of exmoor and everywhere is up from there. Dunkery Beacon being the highest point on exmoor so a good target if you like climbing. I’d stay away from the A39 as much as possible as it is relatively busy with dawdling tourists who aren’t sure where to go past, especially on the Bridgewater to Minehead section. Once you cross it from Minehead most of the roads are going to be pretty quiet.
    Have fun, it’s sure to make you want to go back and try whichever bike you didn’t use.

oldfart

If you can the descent from Stoke Pero to Horner tea gardens 🙂 and finish from Selworthy Beacon down North Hill back to Minehead it’s really rather good ! 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Minehead – Road bike or MTB’ is closed to new replies.