Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Military DPM jackets/ trousers..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Are they any good gor cycling in? Are they waterproof?

mikertroid
    Free Member

They’re goretex, the older ones (DPM) are thicker and heavier than the new MTP ones.
    I’ve used my old DPM when it’s been torrential.

tymbian
    Free Member

Thats a yes then. Seems like a cheap alternative if you dont mind camo…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DPM = camouflage pattern, not the fabric. DPM can be in many different materials.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

best waterproof/breathable stuff out there, and cheap to buy too 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Disruptive
    Pattern
    Material
    🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Get the navy ones. And you won’t look like action man.

maccruiskeen

maccruiskeen

Although the RAF goretex stuff tends to be cheapest I think

maccruiskeen

tymbian
    Free Member

Thunderbirds are go..

theboyneeds
    Free Member

They’re fairly indestructible but you’ll struggle to get them in a small rucksack as they’re bulky and they’re just not breathable enough to wear all the time.

I’ve heard of people taking the trousers and converting to shorts. That sounds like a good plan that I might try.

Basically, in my experience they are great for standing about in but not good for sweating in.

BTW – the hoodless mtp pattern jacket with the arm pockets has ridiculously short arms! And if you’re going for a hooded one with chest pockets then bear in mind they’re designed to go over army kit, so order smaller but longer than you’d think if you want a tightish fit that will still cover your wrists.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

DPM = camouflage pattern, not the fabric. DPM can be in many different materials.

For British stuff you want to look for MVP (Moisture Vapour Permeable), that’s the Goretex type material. The 95 pattern over trousers come in two,maybe more, types. One has an elastic waist and hems,the others are fitted but have popper straps on the waist for adjustment,they’re great but you still have to be accurate with sizing.

For jackets I actually prefer the 80’s German flecktarn version,they have pockets.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve found that as it’s designed for over kit, it’s big. I’m 6ft3 and slim. To get the arms to fit I need xl but the xl chest is mahoosive

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve a 47 inch chest so I’m probably going to end up with a super long armed jacket for my 5′ 10 height.

Rich_s

I just popped out to buy some – couldn’t find any 🙁

zippykona

Stan Ridgway has some.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I use some cut off below the knee on the bike. This gives some good ventilation and stops needing to tie the lower leg up to avoid the chainring. Works well but obviously my shins / ankles get wet but I find that easy to deal with using long army vortex socks!

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve been using RAF goretex trousers for a few years as my ‘ oh crap it’s tipping it down’ commuter trousers.

They ARE waterfproof, and seem to remain so, but they’re also very very warm and I get sweaty in them unless I take it easy. I’ve actually just ordered a new pair in the right size after this thread reminded me, the ones I’ve been using are about an inch too long so pay attention to sizing and buy from somewhere where they either list the actual sizes or you can handle them in person first, a lot of the cheapest online places simply list S/M/L and you get pot-luck draw, or only list the waist and then S/ML for leg length etc.

maccruiskeen

I just popped out to buy some – couldn’t find any

🙂

nickc

who said that?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Army goretex trousers, cut down to knee length, have been my standard wet weather kit for years.
    No pockets, no patches or zips, so they stay waterproof until you wear through the membrane.

RustySpanner

Rich, I’d send you mine, but I put them down somewhere…….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Military DPM jackets/ trousers..’ is closed to new replies.