Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • mile high?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

1609m above sea level or above ground level to count?

mikey74
    Free Member

Depends on what criteria you are trying to satisfy. If it’s something like skydiving then it would have to be above ground level.

If you are talking about topographic elevation, then it’s always measured above sea-level.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m talking about membership to the club.

mikey74
    Free Member

From Wikipedia:

“A Flight Level (FL) is a standard nominal altitude of an aircraft, in hundreds of feet. This altitude is calculated from the International standard pressure datum of 1013.25 hPa (29.92 inHg), the average sea-level pressure, and therefore is not necessarily the same as the aircraft’s true altitude either above mean sea level or above ground level.”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are on the ground it does not count. To join the mile high club you have to be in an aircraft of some sort.

After all there are cities higher than 1609 m – la Paz is double that

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s what I was wondering? Does a ground location at altitude count? However, while TJ might be right, who sets the rules? I’d hate to think it was actually TJ! 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I always make the rules – after all you only exist as a figment of my imagination

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought we only had “TJ’s always right” on weekdays. Still, if TJ makes all the rules…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m a member of the Yard High club… It happened between Bolton and Blackrod on the west coast mainline. It was very romantic.

loddrik
    Free Member

In the sea, I guess that’s the metre under club…

gcaster
    Free Member

Definately doesn’t count if you’re not in a plane(/helicopter/etc). 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

how about a cable car?

gcaster
    Free Member

how about a cable car?

Is there a direct link to the ground?
    Definately can’t have a cable car I’m afraid. I thought the whole idea was to be flying whilst in the act?!

RealMan
    Free Member

Mile High Club Instructional Video

Hmmm…

Home

Some of the links on it may be NSFW..

Now, most veteran pilots will tell you that you need to be at the controls of an airplane in order to claim membership in this exclusive club. But over the years, the term Mile High Club has included those who make their mark in the lavatories aboard jetliners across the globe.

To spare the embarrassment for those who aren’t quite daring enough to make their way back to the lav on a red-eye or transatlantic flight, mile high operations have been cropping up all over the country, offering couples the chance to climb aboard a custom-outfitted aircraft for their aerial pleasures.

????

geoffj

It happened between Bolton and Blackrod on the west coast mainline.

The west coast main line doesn’t go through Bolton and Blackrod. That’d be the Manchester to Preston branch line – even less romantic and not likely to be a Virgin either. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘mile high?’ is closed to new replies.