Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mild mannered cyclist by day, Tron by night
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Welcome any recommendations for adhesive reflective stickers for helmet and bike that are Tron-like by night but are aesthetically unobtrusive during the day. It’s for tarmac sections joining off-road rides. I have decent front and rear lights and some reflective piping and decals built into my jacket. The stickers would be an enhancement to that.

Want to avoid the yellow/orange flouro look of possible. Also not keen on that Volvo reflective paint featured recently.

40mpg
    scaredypants

switchable is what you want

perchypanther
    Free Member

^ Least favourite episode of Breaking Bad ever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

These;

You’ll hardly know you’re wearing them, but the combination of seriously bright reflective and, most importantly IMO, the movement of pedalling, you’ll be seen.

(Sexy model in picture as well!)

superleggero
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. That black stealth tape looks just the ticket for my helmet which is mostly black. What make are those ankle bands CFH?

As for home made Tron man, too much going on for me to fully take it in…

MrGreedy

Not quite what you asked for, but I can’t recommend my Monkeylectric enough.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Tron man is using EL (electro luminescent) wire/tape. Not that I’ve thought about buying any, no, not me, really!

It’s only a matter of time before someone creates a light suit 😯

Mister-P
    Free Member

Those bands look to be these Respro ones judging by the R logo on them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a couple of red rear lights; one flashing, one steady.

those very same Respro ankle straps suggested by captainflashheart.

done.

(the up/down motion of pedals/ankle straps is extremely eye-catching, more so than any amount of hi-viz this, or reflective the other)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, they’re Respro ones.

(the up/down motion of pedals/ankle straps is extremely eye-catching, more so than any amount of hi-viz this, or reflective the other)

See also Altura NightVision tights. If you’ve ever driven behind someone with those on, you know they’re there! Also, good for side visibility as well.

nixie

You can buy spoke reflectors that don’t look too bad in the day. Turns the outer edge of the wheel into a huge reflector. I’ve got these front and rear. Also got tyres with reflective side walls.

To complement those I’ve got fibre flares front and rear, these are mounted on forks and chainstays (both on the right) and reflect off the reflectors (as well as having great all round visibility).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salzmann-Reflector-Scotchlite-Reflective-Material/dp/B00DNG8DSY

Respro ankle straps are good, as are slap bands for your wrists.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRETKnyaiw[/video]

Kahurangi

For off-road-linking-sections (rather than commuting) I’ll leave off suggesting tyres with reflective sidewalls and spoke reflectors as they’ll likely be covered with mud after a brief foray off-road.

The ankle things are very effective if they’re clean enough but I’d suggest a reflective rucksack cover. I know it’s not exactly stealth but visible and effective at keeping your bag clean, too.

However I think 40mpg nailed it in the first reply and the rest of us are bleating on because this is STW and we can’t help it. #keyboardwarriors

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I thought camel toe was wimmin pacific?

Not that I was looking.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I thought camel toe was wimmin pacific?

Moose knuckle.

Kryton57
    worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Volvo LifeSpray – bought a couple of tins at the weekend, after getting a trial spray on my black commute rucksack. Normal light you see nothing, even in the daylight with a camera flash it shows up highly visible, including all the overspray. It was a weekend promotion at the local Volvo dealership here in Glasgow (Taggarts Volvo in Maryhill Road – if anyone is interested in going to see if any left)

All I need to do now is mask off some designs and spray the rest of it. Reflective camo (is there such a thing?)

Forgot to add -still using a Night Vision jacket with 2 Cateye Volt 300 fronts and 2 Cateye Rapid 3’s on rear on bike. A cheapo rear on rucksack and a small single LED in back of Helmet.

shifter
    Free Member

The up/down motion of pedals is what makes pedal reflectors so effective and you’re average ned doesn’t remove them like “us”. The effect can be replicated with Scotchlite on the back of your cranks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That reminds me, I had a sheet of that black reflective stuff somewhere. I put it on my mudguards on the road bike last year, I could do the crank arms too. That’s a mission for this evening, digging through the cupboard where everything gets dumped.

abductee
    Free Member

Reflectors need to be low down otherwise won’t get caught by dipped beam. This is why pedal reflectors are so effective. Reflective tape on fork seatstays and rear mudguard if you have one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mild mannered cyclist by day, Tron by night’ is closed to new replies.