Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Mild ‘cycling on the road’ rant!!
  • stumpy01

OK, so this won’t be up to some of the rants on here, but yesterday I went for a bit of a training ride on the road. It was bright & sunny and I had a bright red rucksack on with reflectivey bits…..

Still managed to have several iffy moments with other vehicles though:

1st one after about 10 miles – I’m on a main road approaching a side road on the other side of the road and there’s a bloke in a car waiting to turn out of it, onto the same side of the carriageway as me. He’s not been waiting there long, but obviously decides he can’t wait for me to pass, so at the first small gap in the traffic he pulls out….I have pre-empted this and am preparing to brake if necessary. He then sees me approaching and decides to stop in middle of turn manouevre. He then decides that he will in fact carry on regardless and does so. I give him the ‘shaking coffee beans’ symbol as he drives off and get one back in return.

Approaching 2 mini roundabouts with perhaps 50m between them. As I get to the first one, a large ‘HGV breakdown’ lorry decides he’s gonna have a go and squeeze through. Overtakes me (only just missing me) and as he has gone onto the middle chevroned part of the road he showers me in dried mud, grit and bits of general road crap. He then has to cut back in sharply to avoid the island in the middle of the road (just prior to the roundabout) and almost forces me off the road.
    As I get to the 2nd mini-roundabout a bus tries to do the same thing, but with a bit less finesse. He decides that he needs to pull back in while he is still halfway alongside me. He does so and actually forces me off the road. Luckily there was no curb so I was able to move over to the grass, but if there had been a high curb I would have been in some bother.

I then get to a roundabout in Stamford, clearly indicating right and an old duffer pulls out on me. I was watching him as I came round the roundabout and had already started to slow as I was pretty sure he hadn’t seen me. All of a sudden, as his driver side window gets level with my path around the roundabout, he sees me and rather than keep going (and getting out of my way) he stops with a look of horror on his face. I shake my head at him and carry on my way.

About 5 miles from home…..I hear a car overtaking and feel some ‘stuff’ hit me…..as the car goes past I realise that a load of kids in a car have just launched various bits of food at me from the car. One of them in particular looking out of the rear window finds this highly amusing…….

Is it always like this on the road??

If I see that green R reg Pug 306 round here, either it will be getting some key treatment, or if the driver is around he/she will be asked for an explanation.
    I have just spoken to the bus company about the bloke who pushed me off the road and he was apologetic and said he will have words…..but we will see….

Stranger
    Free Member

welcome to the world of road riding.
    You’re in one piece – what’s the problem?

druidh
    Free Member

I rarely (if ever) have any issues on the roads – either out of town or in town. However, it sounds like your two mini-roundabout issues might have been prevented by adopting a different position on the road. Too many cyclists are prepared to ride almost in the gutter. This invites overtaking when inappropriate. Ride further out. Make those vehicles really commit to overtaking on the other side of the road. This is especially important when approaching junctions, traffic islands etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i ride to work every day and it’s a good day if there’s only one near miss in each direction 😆

Stranger
    Free Member

Do you not find that you notice the same number of idiots when you’re behind the wheel of a car, rather than on a bike?

flatback
    Free Member

yes that is slightly more incedents than normal, but you get one every ride normally, but to get a few more like you had is not to unusual

you have to either own the road and ride fast and with authority and purpose

or be prepared to be some one else’s play thing

it really sucks on british roads.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There is no point getting wound up about it. I count every day I get to work in one piece as a good ride.

Haze

I’m on a main road approaching a side road on the other side of the road and there’s a bloke in a car waiting to turn out of it, onto the same side of the carriageway as me. He’s not been waiting there long, but obviously decides he can’t wait for me to pass, so at the first small gap in the traffic he pulls out…

I had one similar to this except he was pulling out from my side to head in the direction I was coming from. He was obviously in a hurry and forgot to look the other way as he raced out across me – straight into the side of a another car.

This morning I got left hooked 🙁

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

rode 85 miles yesterday and developed a severe hatred of all pensioners and women during the morning and then all trucks, vans and reps during the late afternoon.

Pensioners – pass too close as their perception of ‘safety’ is to make sure they are safe themselves without respect for other road users. Also have a habit of pulling out whilst they are half way past you and staying pulled out until a good 100m clear of the bike.

Women – same as pensioners except they seem to have little concept of the actual physical bounds of their vehicle and it’s relationship to moving/static objects.

Trucks – just bigger than everything else and therefore invincible (I know, I’ve driven them).

Reps/business types in late plate shiny executive cars – Consider themselves to have more of a right to the road than any other vehicle on it. THEY have important meetings to get to and must therefore drive in a manner befitting someone of such importance so they can overtake when inappropriate and generally behave like idiots

and breath……

2hottie
    Free Member

Had the same things happen to me. Went for a training ride down the canal towpath, did 17miles then came back via the A6, what a mistake!! I saw 2 crashes an some shocking overtaking! Got to a major motorway junction where a nice Twunt pulled out in front of me, whilst I was going 23mph then he pulled into the kerb to block me off, His windows were down so I reminded him that he was a twunt an then got in front were he rather sheepishly stayed a good distance behind. Next junction the same thing happened!!!!!! with a different car! I’m staying off the roads form now on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What Druidh says
    If the road is too narrow for vehicles to overtake safely get out into the road so they can’t. Make obvious eye contact with the driver – stare right at them. Shout at them to alert tehm to your prescence. Sit up and stick your elbows out to look wider and if a vehicle pulls in while still alongside slap the side of it with the flat of your hand – it does no damage but makes one heck of a noise. Often makes them move away from you again. If the vehicle is close enough you can touch it it is too close.

When I am being overtaken I move out slightly before they overtake so if they come too close I have room to move in again.

Make sure you have an escape route at all times.

Defensive riding – ride as if everyone is out to kill you and are going to do the most stupid thing possible – that way you are never disappointed.

Above all else don’t get wound up – don’t let it spoil your day and if possible make sure it spoils their day more than yours. A nice cheery wave as you overtake them in the next jam, a interesting line in insults (thrombus) being my favorite

el_creedo
    Free Member

I agree on the ride defensively option – give yourself room, as you can guarantee drivers won’t unless you force them to. Especially when approaching traffic islands – get bang central in the carriageway so that even a motorbike would struggle to get by.

Also – do like you have done, report offenders, especially ones stupid enough to have the company name on their vehicle!

Do we think this recently speculated penalty for drivers who pass too close to cyclists will make any difference?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i agree with the defensive riding techniques on minor roads but on roads where vehicle speeds are 60mph+ then it is too dangerous in my view, if a car decides to barge past at 30mph then it’s not too bad but at 60 or 56 for a big truck then the risks are too high.

Machine guns

that’s the answer

coffeeking
    Free Member

While I do remember a few incidents from my old giant commute into Liverpool, they were odd-ones-out. A large percentage of that was on the cycle path though. I’ve not commuted enough in Glasgow to be sure but here seems a lot scarier on the bike – far more argybargy on the roads and impatience, though lower driving speed on average for a given road. Back in liverpool the roads I rode were mainly 30 and 40s and were generally taken at about 40 by most traffic, here they’re still 30s but people seem to rarely get above 30.

While I probably shouldnt and no doubt will learn the hard way at some point, I quite enjoy the on-road argy bargy and spotting people doing stupid things. I find it relieves stress more than builds it.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

own the road. Or get owned by other road users.

stumpy01

Yep, I try to ride defensively for the most part and there were some sharp, blind corners in on area where I moved right out and did the whole sticky-out elbows thing, as people were passing on wrong side of road, but had no way of seeing what was approaching.

The most annoying bit was the kids chucking food at me. They only did it as they knew they could get away. There is a level crossing not that far ahead so I sped up, praying it would be down – but sods law, it wasn’t.

The bloke at the bus company sounded sincerely apologetic and I had the reg # of the bus. He recognised it straight away.

I used to cycle from Wembley to Hayes in London so used to be well versed in the daily numpties – perhaps I just need some practice.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Whereabouts near Peterborough are you from Stumpy? I used to cycle into Stamford along the A15 (or is it A16.) I gave it up in the end after having far too many close shaves including a broken collar bone. Always used to get bombarded with crap thrown by some of the college buses.

BigDummy
    Free Member

As with TJ and druidh, I ride about 20 miles a day, in and put of central London and do road rides at the weekends. I simply do not get near misses or feel threatened very often. I reckon I have one slightly alarming incident every couple of months.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s odd, really. I ride rpedominantly on the roads these days, and have either come to expect idiocy much more, or am desensitised to it.

I would echo others that – where sensible – you ride defensively. Most people don’t actually want to hit anyone (cyclists included) and so their driving isn’t willfully dangerous, *just* negligent. Therefore, I like to help them, but doing the thinking for them – when approaching “pinch” points, make sure you’re in their way early enough that they can’t “just squeeze through”.

It’s much harder on fast roads, which is why I tend to avoid riding on roads where drivers can easily hit 60+. Living in Manchester, my urban riding is often at a higher average speed than the vehicles, and riding in teh Peaks or north of Manchester is usually on roads where they have to take some care anyway.

The book that’s usually recommended is Cyclecraft. Not read it myself, though I ought to. I gather it’s the bible for defensive cycling.

For me, though, it’s a case of assuming the worst possible scenario in each given situation, and adapting my behaviour accordingly. I used to get wound uop – essentially as a point of principle – but then actively took a decision to be more relaxed about it. Consequently, my rides are much less stressful.

Good on you, though, for reporting the sh*tty driving. More of us need to do that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big dummy – I get incidents more or less every ride – but I do ride thru traffic in full on courier mode so a good part of it is my fault. I appear in car drivers view in places where they are not expecting a bike and I do it very quickly. I must make a vid of lothian rd/ queen street / leith street / leith walk in rush hour

stumpy01

Silverpigeon – I live in Market Deeping.

Yesterday I went from there to Bourne (A15), then through Rhyall to Stamford (A6121 or something) and then from Stamford back to Deeping on the back road that goes through Barnack-Bainton-Helpston.
    I do sometimes though do a shorter route to Stamford on the A16.

I used to find that I had less aggro riding in London to be honest. I think people are probably more alert and speeds are lower.
    Most of the roads I was on are fairly standard A roads where 60mph is no problem.
    I think as well it’s getting used to it again. In the last few months I have probably only ridden on the road 10 times and it’s always been at night when the roads are quieter.

EDIT – another thing that I found amazing was some people would overtake me on the approach to busy roundabouts (in Stamford) and then pull right over to block the nearside of the road so I couldn’t get past them in the queue (of perhaps 20 cars) waiting at the roundabout. So I just went down their outside.

ourmaninthenorth

TJ in “riding like a Somali pirate” shocker..!

Do you wear a SimonRalli style bandana when doing so?

2tyred

Too many cyclists are prepared to ride almost in the gutter. This invites overtaking when inappropriate. Ride further out. Make those vehicles really commit to overtaking on the other side of the road. This is especially important when approaching junctions, traffic islands etc.

Spot on. I see this all the time.

At the end of the day, most drivers are fine but there’s a sizeable enough minority who simply dislike sharing the road with cyclists (or anyone else) and refuse to grant a safe passing distance. By taking up more of the road you frustrate these people, which has its own dangers but reduces the risk of an idiotic overtaking move.

Yobbishness (the kids throwing stuff) is not worth getting worked up about. You are a better person for not rising to it. In the last fortnight, I’ve been spat at by a pedestrian and had another moron run out at me as if to launch some kind of flying kick, only to be restrained by his companion. It puzzles me why people would do this sort of thing to me when I’m cycling but wouldn’t if I was walking towards them on the pavement.

druidh
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

EDIT – another thing that I found amazing was some people would overtake me on the approach to busy roundabouts (in Stamford) and then pull right over to block the nearside of the road so I couldn’t get past them in the queue (of perhaps 20 cars) waiting at the roundabout. So I just went down their outside.

You’re not supposed to overtake on the inside anyway.

ourmaninthenorth

Er, this sort of overtaking – filtering – is permitted. Just need to do it safely 9thinking about opening doors).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Overtaking on the inside is permissible in stationary or slow moving traffic – or on one way streets. Check the highway code

juan
    Free Member

This invites overtaking when inappropriate

Yes but here failure to do so invites agresive comment shooting and being called a “bad cyclist”

juan
    Free Member

Shout at them to alert tehm to your prescence.

Last time I did that with a clap of my hand on the back of the car, the driver willing tried to run me over. So might not be the smartest idea.
    I owe my life to a guy in the flat audi that pulled out of the parking space without looking forcing the guy in the german SUV to stop.

You guy don’t know how lucky you are in UK.

druidh
    Free Member

juan – Member

> This invites overtaking when inappropriate

Yes but here failure to do so invites agresive comment shooting and being called a “bad cyclist”

Which means they’ve actually seen you. I call that a win.

miketually
    Free Member

They’re probably just not driving fast enough, so they’re bored. If they were speeding, they be much more likely to overtake sensibly.

😉

aP
    Free Member

I reckon I have one slightly alarming incident every couple of months.

Big Dummy – but you’re a corporate lawyer – I’m sure that nothing would ruffle you 😛

Just been on the phone for an hour and a half with our lawyers reviewing a contract I’ve been asked to sign [sigh]

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Overtaking on the inside is permissible in stationary or slow moving traffic – or on one way streets. Check the highway code

TandemJeremy – Member

Big dummy – I get incidents more or less every ride – I appear in car drivers view in places where they are not expecting a bike and I do it very quickly.

I’ll let you draw your own conclusion…

coffeeking
    Free Member

They’re probably just not driving fast enough, so they’re bored. If they were speeding, they be much more likely to overtake sensibly.

😆 Well they would clear you faster, but im not sure it applies to low-speed zones like residential areas.

TandemJeremy – Member

I could do with printing a copy of this out as it’s an argument that gets people going all the time!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I never over take on the inside if i can help it unless a car is turning right as people never look down their inside ( i know i don’t check as much as i should). I find i have the least amount of close calls when i have the trailer on the back as it is wider than me by some margen. I also use my helmet cam on all my commutes and would happily send any fotage to a company of it is one of theirs and i am building up a set of clips of usless driving.
    The one thing that does the most to scare me is when people decied half way through overtacking that thye can’t make it and are just going to pull in. There is no way that they would do that to a car/lorry/tractor etc..

coffeeking
    Free Member

There is no way that they would do that to a car/lorry/tractor etc..

Oh trust me they do, ive had it a few times now. They usually swear at you too for not braking so they can get in.

TooTall
    Free Member

Stumpy – you highlight why I stay off the roads as much as possible around here. If you are going to live in the wilds of Deeping you’ll get scared by the yokels and retired far more often. Stamford is also full of bikeproof pedestrians who will always step out.

Stay off the roads!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – I just went to check – the wording is changed from how it used to be. I am sure it used to say “you may only overtake on the left in slow moving or stationary traffic” or similar

It now says
    “# only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
    # stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

If I am riding like a nutter in traffic and a car cuts me up because I have appeared quickly in a spot where they could not reasonably have expected them to do I fully accept its my fault. I always assume no one has seen me anyway

coffeeking
    Free Member

TJ – so that re-wording looks like you technically cant as theres no lane up the left, yet at ASL lines there is clearly a marking to allow cyclists up the inside and to the front. Very unclear.

druidh
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

TJ – so that re-wording looks like you technically cant as theres no lane up the left, yet at ASL lines there is clearly a marking to allow cyclists up the inside and to the front. Very unclear.

This anomaly has been frequently raised.

llama

10+ years of commuting here.

I think that around year 7 you reach a state of detachment where nothing any driver can do will surprise you. Only the worthy can expect to achieve this state.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Mild ‘cycling on the road’ rant!!’ is closed to new replies.