Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Mike Hall.
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Horrible news and very sad, this happened 20 mins down the road from me.

Not blaming anyone as there are a number of possibilities to this tragedy, especially as Mike commented of being all over the road due to I guess fatigue and the reported vision issues, but drivers around here aren’t cyclists friendly and that road is fast and dangerous. I mean they only just brought in as a trial 1m matters campaign for cars passing bikes. Mike complained in a video how little room drivers give when passing.

Very sad and thoughts with the family and the other event riders at this time.

sundaywobbler

He and still will be my cycling hero, always seemed such a humble fella and just enjoyed pedalling his bike. A truly sad day and a real loss to the cycling world. The things he achieved were phenomenal.

RIP Mike

convert

Gutted. I met him a few times years ago. Always came across humble and unassuming. Will raise a pint to him tonight.

snownrock

May the wind forever be on your back

jekkyl

He was a cycling machine! an inspiration, a great loss.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sad news. RIP Mike.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Really sad to hear this. Someone at work asked me this morning if I’d heard of him, and I was like ‘yeah, friends on FB, Linkedin etc why do you ask?..’ and their mouth dropped, before showing me the BBC website 🙁

Great memories of doing a 24hr solo race, camped next to his support team (just his mum actually). She ended up supporting me too over those 24hrs. Mike was just amazing that day, and has always been amazing. He’s one of those people you reference when cyclists and non-cyclists ask you why you like riding, or how far can someone ride in a day etc. or even just to give an example of someone who inspires us all on a massive scale. A true legend that I was very privileged to have met.

rocket
    Free Member

Oh jeez, this is devastating news. So so sad for him and those he has left behind. Shocked. He was a true legend and will leave a gapping hole in the sport.

brassneck

RIP Mike. He had a different version of ‘possible’ to the majority of us.

plumber
    Free Member

Saw his night of adventure talk and followed him via STW

I saw the lady crying on my facebook feed and turned up the sound – absolutely couldn’t take in the news

RIP Mike

I now feel I should have been paying more attention to his monumental efforts whilst he was with us

Fantombiker

So sad, heard him talk at derby mercury club. An unassuming modest man who could tip up to a club ’10’ and then bang out mile after mile on ultra distance races. A special talent, will be remembered…..

instanthit
    Free Member

RIP Mike. A true inspiration. Really sad news.

flipiddy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-l1cETOmlQ[/video]

Chopping onions after watching this 😥

atlaz
    Free Member

Kristof almost finished and posted the following picture with the hastags #tribute and #unfinishedfinish

A classy move by possibly the only person on Mike’s level in the world…

freeagent
    Free Member

Probably not the right time to ask this, but I’ve wondered for a while – what did Mike Hall do to earn money?
    I can’t imagine his racing/riding schedule being compatible with a ‘normal’ job – but travelling the world doing this stuff can’t be cheap..

ads678

RIP Mike Hall, I didn’t know you but i’ll be telling my kids about you tonight.

bazhall
    Free Member

Ride in Peace Mike Hall

alexpalacefan

You’re right about that Freeagent.
    Show some sensitivity man.

A 🙁

jonnyboi

Please consider making a donation on the just giving page if not already, there’s very few positives that can come out of this but hopefully the cycling community can do their bit.

Alpha1653

Seeing this earlier today was like a sucker punch to the stomach. I never knew him personally but having grown up in Monmouthshire, I’ve several friends who did and I’ve known of his exploits for years.

To anyone who knew him, and to those who didn’t but like me are affected anyway, my sympathies.

RIP Mike. You have been and will continue to be inspiring.

qwerty
    Free Member

freeagent
    Free Member

You’re right about that Freeagent.
    Show some sensitivity man.

Yep, on reflection you are right.
    I just realised that I’d been following Mike Halls achievements for the last 4-5 years and didn’t actually know anything about the real man behind the endurance superman.

Genuinely gutted at his tragic loss.

maxlite
    Free Member

So sad….seemed such a nice guy 🙁

ormondroyd
    Free Member

That quote from that video: “Every time you take a map out again, it gets bigger”. Going to teach my kids that.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Probably not the right time to ask this, but I’ve wondered for a while – what did Mike Hall do to earn money?
    I can’t imagine his racing/riding schedule being compatible with a ‘normal’ job – but travelling the world doing this stuff can’t be cheap..

Given the situation, I’d hate to get this wrong (and apologies to people who knew him better if this is incorrect), but I believe he worked at Rolls Royce for a few years as an engineer. He certainly was an engineer and loved his technology 🙂
    Running ‘Transcontinental Race Limited’ also took up time.
    I guess his true job title was ‘Endurance Adventure Superhero’ but he would have been too modest to tell people that…

faustus

A bit of an obituary over on bikepacking.com:

Remembering Mike Hall

pedalhead
    Free Member

God damn what awful news. Mike was a huge inspiration to me and undoubtedly masses of other people. Ride in peace, dude 😥 .

Wookster

Janey mac that’s terrible news, my thoughts go to his family. It’s so terrible how things like this happen.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Dragged a mate along to Wirksworth Cinema the other year to watch Dions Inspired To Ride as his earlier films have been ace. Mike was one of the main riders in the film. Shocking news and such a great great athlete. He will be missed!

bearnecessities

Only passing knowledge of his endeavours, but all I can think when I read the articles is that’s one hell of a kind face the world has lost, if that makes sense.

jonnyboi

I’ve been annoyed about this all day, and I think I understand why now. Whilst I love watching professional cycling it’s really hard to relate to those involved, perfectly tanned and groomed with a huge support network they seem as different from us normal cyclists as an F1 driver is my Dad in his Micra.

Mike seemed like an ordinary bloke doing extraordinary things, having done endurance events myself he was someone I could relate to, I could understand what he meant when he talked about the physical and mental toil. But I could still be a dot watcher and marvel at someone at the peak of their powers doing unbelievable shifts on the bike, and a bike not much different from the one a lot of us keep in the shed.

It’s probably bollocks but I’m gonna get up early tomorrow and head off to ride somewhere I’ve never ridden before, it just seems like the right thing to do, just to expand the map

cookeaa

Truly sad news.

mark d
    Free Member

Thinking about this all day.
    All I can say is RIP Mike.

singletrackmind

Never met him but knew of his expoits on a bike,
    Just another anonomous guy who had an incredible talent for just keeping going.
    RIP Mike . May your trails be dusty, the warm sun on your face , and the wind on your back.

senorj

A very sad crack indeed .
    Condolences to family and friends .

Hells

Tragic! Condolences to his family and friends!

corroded
    Free Member

if that makes sense

Yes, that makes sense. I’ve followed Mike’s exploits over the last few years but I’ve never met him – but you could tell from his interviews, videos and photos that he was one of the good guys.

Superficial
    Free Member

I knew Mike from university. Not very well, and I don’t think I’ve seen him for a few years. I remember riding with him back then, and he was just one of the guys. He used to come on group rides and he’d be very normal. Not slow, but not the fastest rider. Just one of us. I think at one point he even had a bit of a belly if I remember correctly. Just a sort of average guy.

Then he started being very… un-average. He moved away and we kept hearing about monster training rides he’d been doing. And then he started podiuming at national endurance events. The belly had gone but he was still the same guy, just faster – a lot faster. Then he did the round the world thing, and the Tour Divide. People started to learn his name and the rest is legendary. For me that was proof that anyone can achieve greatness with the right attitude and serious amounts of grit.

I’ve spent the day quietly trying to work out how I feel about his accident, and why I’m so sad. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s because he was one of us, a normal guy who did completely extraordinary things. And by doing that in his own humble way, he was what we all want be.

So RIP Mike. Perhaps the most inspirational person I ever knew.

Clover

So sad and in shock. I’ve only met Mike once or twice, but he was one of those people who was I was truly in awe of but somehow didn’t make my tiny achievements seem insignificant.

What awful awful news. Ride on, Mike Hall. Legend.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve commented on another post here that I had known Mike for nearly twenty years. First time I rode with him he had just about finished his GCSE’s, I watched him turn left and ride a line that I never even knew existed. I’m not ashamed to say that I have been in bits all day today.

Last time I spoke to Mike, was to ask him to support our Trails for Wales campaign – he duly pitched up with a load of others at the Senydd on our behalf, giving up his precious training time to campaign for better access for mountain bikers.

(Thanks to ADH for the photo)

“BIkes are brilliant and the countryside is for everyone”

That’s a statement that is going to stay with me for ever…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Mike Hall.’ is closed to new replies.