Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Migraine Suffers
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Why do they alway happen on a Saturday morning? They really screw up your weekend don’t they. Eleven hours of skull cracking pain and being sick. Just had first cup of tea and feeling better…

bumley
    Free Member

Yep mine always seem to start friday night or saturday morning, use to knock me out for upto 36hrs.

Went to the doctors and he prescribed me sumatriptan and what a blessing, as soon as i feel a migraine coming on i take 1 and within an hour the pain has gone 🙂

Might be worth having a chat woth you G.P.

Glad you are through the worst of it!

skiboy
    Free Member

Blimey daisy , you need to find your trigger, mine is dehydration just everyday lack of fluid not just after riding etc, that is my primary, secondary triggers for me include hunger, tiredness, stress and some other stuff like some foods etc,

If you have them every Saturday you should be able to find the cause, it took me 30 odd years to realise why I was getting them but then again Dr’s were crap and there was no real awareness , communication and nobody had invented the Internet,

I very rarely get one these days, but for the first 30 yrs of my life I used to get one at least twice a week.

Good luck

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JulianA
    Free Member

Stressed all week + Friday night / Saturday morning relaxation = migraine, sadly.

Sumatriptan has made a great difference to quite a few people, it seems!

Chocolate, caffeine, too much sun, red wine – all potential triggers.

Too many people say they have a migraine when they mean that they have a headache – there’s a massive difference between headache and migraine.

mogrim

Ibuprofen seems to make mine more frequent, though it’s not a direct trigger. Stress+ibuprofen seems to be the killer.

tuffty
    Free Member

Yep dehydration triggers mine. Was out with a mate once and I felt a migraine coming on. Bugger I said, not got my tablets, to which he said “the water you take the pills with will do you more good!”
    And he was right, never used the pills since, as soon as I start to get the impaired vision and the slightest head ache I drink a pint of water, sorted! Not saying it will work for everyone, but it does for me 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

This is gonna sound weird but I find sitting in the shower really helps relive my annualish migraine.

mogrim

This is gonna sound weird but I find sitting in the shower really helps relive my annualish migraine.

Merciless my arse, that’s wet as ****!

🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I had the same problem years ago. Girlfriend at the time had depression and things were pretty rough. I got a migraine regularly on my day off. I think not eating and drinking properly on my day off and having a different routine to the work days also had an effect. Would also agree with skiboy. I find a combination of a couple of my triggers will bring one on. So tiredness coupled with stress or alcohol etc will do it. Keeping an eye on these and trying to avoid the combinations does it for me. I also find when I feel one coming on that the best thing I can do is take some paracetamol and try and work through it. If I go and do the classic lie down in a dark room it just gets worse, I’ll only do that now if I’m really struggling. I have a friend that’s a GP who does migraine clinics. He recommended keeping a diary to work out what your triggers are.

DrP

Having them weekly should prompt treatment from your GP (well, the first line would be to check they are migraine, not other types of headache).
    It may be stress if it’s occurring so frequently on the same day?
    Regardless, it’s a reasonable course to treat either prohpylactically or offer triptans for the acute headaches….

DrP (migraine sufferer)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The M25 on a Friday night would often cause me to have one. And a helpful Doc once said stress can cause them, but so can the absence of stress.

DrP

This is something the NHS isn’t involved in currently, but personally I feel has strong associations with my symptoms.
    My visual aura ( and therefore my migraines) are frequently triggered simply by staring at a bright light – the British headache association have some involvement in this type of thing too (coloured filters), but investigation etc has to be done privately.

It would be cool if it helps me, but I’d be the weirdo in tinted specs…….

DrP

corroded
    Free Member

Cannabis helps, apparently.

druidh
    Free Member

+1

I used to get Bank Holiday Migraines. Constant stress for 5 days and then the 2nd/3rd day off would bring it on. Ruined the start of quite a few holidays. Obvious resolution: stop the stress.

Other triggers for me include beer (even one small bottle can often do it), so if you have a Friday after-work drink, consider that too.

Bright lights and so on have no effect, but if I have one coming on I get very sensitive to noise.

When I have a migraine (which normally lasts 60 hours) I get total relief during hard exercise – but it returns once my heart rate etc re-settles.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I used to suffer a lot with them until I made changes to my work space. Main change was raising my monitor height 6 inches, making sure that wasn’t leaning forward and sitting up straight. It’s reduced the migraines down and the length of them when I do get one.
    I always get the floating blobs colours in my vision first which in then switch the lights off sit back and relax. If that doesn’t work Migraleve normally does the trick.

samuri
    Free Member

Mine are pretty much totally light triggered. I can feel fine, well hydrated, not had a drink for a few days, well fed. It’s definately bright light of a flashing nature. Like walking out into sunlight or looking directly at an interior light…. BANG! My eyes immediately go into that flicker thing that we all know is the preclude to a migraine. I’ve got about 60 minutes at that point to hole up.

Panic sets in now. I need to be in a bed in that 60 minute window. If I’m in work (and the most common place for this to happen is in work), I need to make my excuses and get home. Driving is about 30 minutes so that’s usually OK, cycling is about an hour, I’ve been riding home while throwing up before now, not pleasant.

Get home, normally as my eyes are shutting down, make preparations, bucket by the bed, curtains shut, bottles of water. I take some ibuprofen if I’ve not already which seem to take the edge off. OK baby, give it your worst. 6-10 hours of hell. I pretty much go blind, all I can see is flickering light. My spine locks down, I have a steel rod from my head to my arse, I sweat buckets, I throw up. Eventually and thankfully I pass out.

Waking up is like being born. The pain and light has gone, my body feels like it’s been beaten up by someone who really hated me, I am wet with sweat. I stink of fear and pain and wishful death.

It will take me 24 hours minimum to not feel like I’ve done ten rounds with Mike Tyson. About 60 days to the next one.

I used to get one a fortnight. Thank god those days are gone but that flickering in my eyes is genuinally the worst feeling I know.

kiwijohn

Jeebers, mine are pretty mild compared to that.
    Used to get them around exam time at uni.
    Don’t now why I got one yesterday afternoon. Managed to drink it away with ibuprofen, coffee & beer.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve had hundreds, maybe thousands of sore heids, that can be easily cured with paracetamol. But I’ve only had 4 or 5 proper brain crushing, can’t function migranes in my life, I tend to go near blind when i get them. I really do feel for people who get them regularly.

Could be some merit in the cannabis theory mind you. Most of my migranes came as a teenager before I discovered the herb. Only had one when I was in my 20s since then. Then again they could me entirely unrelated!

euans2
    Free Member

Mines just come and go as they please, could be any day of the week! However I always know at least 20mins before I get one. I also suffer from Aura, I always loose the vision from one of my eyes just prior to the migraine…. It’s not the best when at work or driving but when at home it generally lets’s me know that I need to get to bed SHARP with some strong medication!!!

busydog
    Free Member

I have had classic migraines for 40 years (start with the visual aura and progresses from there). Have been on about every prescription migraine medication there is. The side effects of all the meds just suck.
    Just recently tried something new, an over-the-counter medication called Lipigesic. Works just as effectively as the prescription meds and without all the side effects. Don’t know if it is available there in the UK, but you can get it online.
    Much less expensive than the prescription meds as well. I was absolutely astounded when I tried it after all the years of the prescription drugs/side effect.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Ten years ago I had a six month period of sometimes twice daily migraines then nothing for year. Now i get perhaps one or two a year but six months ago I had maybe five or six over a period of seven days. I can’t find any obvious trigger for them either although having said that a good bang on the head will start them (like crashing the bike). Pink Migraleve works for me as soon as i see the spots in my eyes so I carry them with me at all times.

restless
    Free Member

I used to suffer with the aura first, then tunnel vision , then sick, then the headache.

Mine would quite often start when I woke up in the morning, but most definately after a period of stress. I tried medication but because I was always sick it didn’t work.

The migraines disppeared a few years ago and were replaced with palpatations instead 😥

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Migraine Suffers’ is closed to new replies.