Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Might like a new bike. Still in 26 world. Curious. Budget conscious. What to do?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

OK STW, riddle me this.

Note: No uses of the terms steed or quiver will feature in the creation of this post. Oh… wait. Oh well.

OK, here’s where I am. After several years I am lucky enough to have amassed a couple of bikes and collection of spares.

At the moment I have..

Bike 1
    A Kinesis XC130 which is built up medium spec – crests on superstar, XT brakes, cheap dropper, wide bars/short stem, dual air reba 120s up front. 3*9. (I know!). It’s light, it’s quick, it’s a bit steep on the front, it’s a tonne of fun to ride. It does feel a bit stiff at times.

Bike 2
    2011 Ghost Amr 7500. 120mm fs 26 trail bike. It’s had a few treats added, crests on proii, carbon bars, fox 32 120mm. New swing arm and bearing service done. Great on a trail centre day out with the boyos when it’s about chatting on the way up and mucking about on the way down. I did the Dyfi and such like on it and it felt ok / great. I like the way it rides but it is no lightweight. Swapping back from the HT it feels cumbersome at first.

(Bike 3)
    Pro carbon for the road. Enough for me, no tinkering here required.

Spares – a set of AM 26 wheels on pro’iis, some spare brakes, a set of 26 100mm rebas, tyres n bits n pieces. You get the idea.

None of bikes 1 or 2 are worth all that much now, probably get more breaking them for spares than selling whole.

What kind of riding – live in Brissle, HT gets used 75% of the time, like razzing about. Not massively gnarr, am 36 this year. Also like getting out away from it all. For big days out probably 2/3 of the time go ride black mountains or the gap, quantocks etc and then 1/3 CwmCarn, Afan etc.

I also use the HT for occasional Bike fest, the odd Gorrick, red kite events. Mid table obscurity at best. I know a carbon 29er HT would be quicker but I do feel on the HT that the rider is the weak link and getting fitter would be a better way to get faster. I value the fact the HT is fun to ride as well as not a slug. Not a serious racer.

So folks. Stuck in 26 world with some depreciated assets. Got some bits. Can do some basic spannering to keep things cheap running. I hate feeling over biked on a day out.

What would you say I do from here?

Sell both and buy one new short travel FS 650?

Swap the Ghost frame for a lighter 26 frame and move the bits across?

Swap the Kinesis for a soul? (Always wanted a soul) And stuff the ‘racing’ just enjoy it?

Some other option not even thought of?

Usually I know what the move should be, this time a bit lost. Marketing spin of how much betterer a 650 is vs kit I know and like?

I would be happy selling both and rolling up a deposit on something new as a single do it all. Equally like being able to choose between HT and bounce.

Yes massive first world problem but this is STW. What do you think hive?

jam-bo

Can’t be arsed to read all that. Buy a new bike if you can afford it, keep running what you got if you can’t.

26″ didn’t suddenly become rubbish just because everyone got a new toy.

moonboy
    Free Member

Look, I am on a looooooong train journey today. ok 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

Anthem or trigger from Pauls hth

jekkyl

TL:DR ?

singlespeedstu

Do your bikes stop you from doing what you want to do?

If not carry on as normal until they do then think about a new one.

moonboy
    Free Member

Fair one on the TL:DR.

I did mention the train right?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ignore those that are short of attention span 😉 Though you describe the race bike as a “tonne of fun” I’d say get a Soul – you’ve always wanted one, and all the times I’ve raced Bikefest I’ve seen plenty of Souls and similar British steel (in fact I raced a 456 and a Dialled Alpine).

TBF it sounds like you’re already in a good place with bikes; you want both a HT and an FS and seem to like and use them both, but if you’ve always coveted the Soul then scratch that itch?

moonboy
    Free Member

Thanks folks, think it’s soul time.

(still on that train)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the Soul Train?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbP4JBf8To[/video]

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a Yeti ASR5c – currently worth approximately the same as three peanuts

jkomo

oops, got wrong end of stick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Might like a new bike. Still in 26 world. Curious. Budget conscious. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.