Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • "might I suggest a bell gentleman" says the angry rambler…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

A few things I noticed today on the particularly busy bridleways linking the trails.

Only the minority of ramblers I must add, but definitely worse when they were in a group….

Ramblers purposely ignoring the Hope Pro 2’s silence shattering buzz, until pretty much running them over. Its like the only frequency they part the trail to, is the open sesame password of a bell ring!

Approaching rambler head-on at narrow canal section, he stands to the side, I thank him to which he scans my handlebars and then comments “might I suggest a bell gentlemen” to which I ignore and thank again as I pass.

What is it with passing ramblers on a wide berthed trail? Instead of continuing their straight path while I pass by out of harms way, they decide to panic then step into the path of the bike 😯

Do you rise to this sort of rambler trolling? Have you added a bell to the bars? Do you react courteously and polite to not rise to it?

Discuss all things rambler…

toonfan
    Free Member

I’m going to put the bell back on my bars. It seems to be a better option than yelling at folk and frightening the life out of them.

nickc

The rambler “leap of certain death” always raises a smile.

The way the old biddy at the back of a line of Rambling old biddies (it’s always old biddies, have they escaped from somewhere?) will grab her friend (lets call her Biddy#2) yelling “bikes” at the top of her voice, grab hold of biddy#2 and throw her into the brambles, then throw her self to the side in the style of a WW2 Tommy throwing himself on a grenade.

While you totter past at 2, maybe even the dizzy heights of 3 mph….

mrmo
    Free Member

bells don’t work in my opinion, too much other noise and you always get the runners using ipods who cant hear a thing.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You cant win either way.I have a bell of my work commuter for the cyclepath and have use it in the past to be told i heard you coming you dont need the bloody bell.

What i answer to ramblers in the countryside when they say that to me i thought you didnt want noise in the countryside.You seem to try and ban anything that makes noises.Funny they never reply 😀

endurogangster
    Free Member

Yeah a foot in the ass works much better, one day they’ll learn to move before my foot connects with their sphincter, bit like negative reinforcement!

nickc

Bells…
    You can’t win, it’s either

“why don’t you have a bell”

or

[Tinkle tinkle]

“why don’t you just say hello, it’s much friendlier…”

See? Can’t win. May as well just run them down…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

They are worse on really narrow lanes, instead of staying on one side they split onto groups on either side making it almost impossible to pass, if they have dogs they usually leave them in the middle of the road, maybe they don;t like their dogs.

I had a bell and got some real ear bendings for ringing it, I now have a nice loud comedy horn,

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@nickc

“While you totter past at 2, maybe even the dizzy heights of 3 mph….”

This is the most hilarious thing, your stuck behind them at track stand speed, they look round and give you the look of death, like your out of control and about to mow there kid/pet down in a 70mph motorway collision. Some even crying out “slow down!!”

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@rogerthecat I had a comedy horn on the manc to blackpool and left it on for normal trail riding for a few weeks, I have to admit the reaction was quite positive 😳 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Tommorrow I get to be lead bike on a local running race that makes use of a variety of footpaths and bridleways. My job being to alert ramblers to the impending stampede of runners.
    I’ve a whistle and an old school honk honk horn on the handlebars.
    Should be fun. 😈

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve never had anyone be negative when I ring my bell. While I feel it’s friendly to say hi, it appears people prefer the bell. I don’t mind having it on the bike so I use it regularly.

Strictly speaking, you are supposed to give way to walkers and you do get some bloody minded rambler who makes sure that you do. They are usually in a minority of one though.

The random abuse that sometimes gets shouted at can be annoying, such as “it’s a bridleway, it’s for horses”. It’s taken many years to learn to not get angry and ignore it.

brooess
    Free Member

This country needs to chill out. Hugely. Way too much aggro about what are basically first world problems…

cruzcampo
    Free Member

“The ramblers need to chill out. Hugely. Way too much aggro about what are basically first world problems…”

Fixed 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

I came up behind a couple riding along a canal path today, so slowed right down and said ‘excuse me guys’ or something similar to let them know I was there. The girl turns round and sees me, then instead of moving to the side she slams on the brakes meaning I have to swerve to avoid her. Luckily I was going about 3 mph.

Then the cheeky git says ‘maybe you should get a bell’. I resisted the temptation to tell her she should perhaps get some semblance of control over her bike. Besides, I have as bell, but as above given i’m not using the canal as a race track surely slowing down and a cheery ‘excuse me’ is far more sociable.

matt_outandabout

I wanted to find a way of strapping this onto the bars in the Peak at times: proper WW2 air raid siren…It would get most diving for cover before the Me109 29er arrived.

nuke

Ive never had anyone be negative when I ring my bell. While I feel it’s friendly to say hi, it appears people prefer the bell. I don’t mind having it on the bike so I use it regularly.

This for me. Most of the walkers around my way are very complimentary about my bell 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had a bell on the bike once, years ago, & was on a BW near Rosedale coming up behind some walkers, I wasn’t going quick as it was it a bit soggy underneath. Dings my bell & the nearest old biddy (can’t always be biddy’s shirley?) jumped about 3ft off the ground & says ‘ooh, you gave me such a fright’
    Took the sodding bell off when I got home & haven’t had one since.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I’m a bell convert after our recent C2C ride, worked a treat and certainly speeded up progress. Yes you still get the odd knob – especially those with stupid long leads!!!! But on the whole give and take is the way to go. I also hate aggro and feel more chilled out with my new bell attachment 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I’m going to concur with nuke above.. I’ve also found that simply not being a **** is by far the best way to deal with other folk that are out enjoying the countryside, then even if you encounter a ****, you can cheerfully rise above it and continue your day happy..

argee

As others have said, you can’t win, i fitted a bell and had the same response of old ramblers jumping when i rang it to warn them i was approaching, then having them whinge about it, take the bell off and slow down, then politely give a warning of me approaching and it’s the same response.

The sad fact is that it’s more down to a lot of cyclists who fly past people without much warning, as well as most walkers just not wanting cyclists to use ‘their’ routes.

cinnamon_girl

Bells on trolleys in Waitrose?

Why? Oldie, on a Saturday, in middle of not very wide aisle texting, two-handed. I opened mouth before engaging brain and told him to ‘wake up’. 😆

Gawd, I’m a grumpy bugger sometimes.

yunki
    Free Member

Ooh, you mean old bag!

Losidan
    Free Member

Ramblers. ….
    As agreed the ones who you know heard you ding but purposely refuse to move. Just don’t get it.

What’s the deal with these ramblers who walk with ski poles? I never realised the leeds Liverpool canal is partof the ascent of mt everest

I tend to give them three separate dings as I approach. Usually can tell from far off at the first ding what sort they are by what there reaction is.

The ones who really annoy me (as happened today is giving them three separate dings and they ignore it and as you pass grumble about not giving them any notice I was coming. Yeah right. ….

Mackem

I hate the families who, when you approach, head-on, and even though you slow down to a crawl, because you are considerate, grab their children and hold them close, with panic stricken faces as if you were a rampaging bull. Bizarre.

cinnamon_girl

Ooh, you mean old bag!

yunki – if that’s aimed at me then yes, that as well! 😀

drlex
    Free Member

Another vote for the comedy clown horn- makes me feel like Harpo Marx and amuses the kids.

devash
    Free Member

I get this all the time. One particular chap told me to “Get a f**ing bell” to which I stopped and politely explained to him that I’d lose all street cred from my riding mates if I had one. It turns out that his dog was hit by a cyclist a few months ago and had to be taken to the vet with a broken rib. Nice chap in the end and I hope that my amicability changed his perception of mtbers.

zilog6128

One particular chap told me to “Get a f**ing bell” to which I stopped and politely explained to him that I’d lose all street cred from my riding mates if I had one. It turns out that his dog was hit by a cyclist a few months ago and had to be taken to the vet with a broken rib. Nice chap

So because he can’t keep his animal under control in a public place he feels he can be abusive to strangers? Yes, what a nice chap.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I just tend to shout ‘ding ding’ And as I’m going past ….say “share the trail please there’s enough for everyone ”

deadkenny
    Free Member

One of our group rides nearly ended with a hospital visit due to manic dog bounding in front of our bikes on an official bike trail. A bell would not have made a difference. The owner was watching well before we got there and we’d past her before anyway. Stupid woman was just laughing at her manic untrained dog, joking that it would teach the dog if we ran into it!. Later bumped into her again and had a polite word and she suddenly took offence and went off on one ranting about how mountain bikers are destroying the area.

Anyway… on the subject of bells, if I have a bell it’s usually on a tow path or places I’m likely to find a lot of walkers and I’m always prepared to slow down and stop & wait for them. If they’re coming towards me I’ll make room and when following I’m prepared to wait, but ringing a bell and even stopping some will jump out of their skin and stand well back as if I’m about to charge through with a bus, often giving me a dirty look. Others look at me and continue walking ignoring me.

Not all though. The majority tend to be friendly.

Out in the Surrey Hills it’s far friendlier also, and rarely find anyone moaning. Most are happy and have a joke or two with riders especially seeing them exhausted on a climb. Except for crazy woman with manic dog, as found in the Surrey Hills 😉

If it’s a trail ride though, I don’t have a bell. They fall off, get broken off, and are an extra thing to dig into you when you fall off. Generally the trails are separate from walking paths too.

poonprice
    Free Member

“Dumb ass walkers”

Generally rude and unhelpful even when you try and be as polite as possible. I ride horse riders much more biker friendly.

user-removed
    Free Member

Not getting this really – I have a little ting bell on any bikes which are likely to be on towpaths, bridleways, old railway paths etc. If you start ringing from a good way back, then put in some more as you get closer IME, no bother (aside from the odd wazzock).

bigyinn
    Free Member

poonprice – Member

I ride horse riders much more biker friendly.
    Lucky old you!

midlifecrashes

I shout “ting a ling!”. It usually raises a smile.

badllama
    Free Member

horse riders much more biker friendly fitter .

😀

I always say hello to horse riders as I was told until the horse hears a human voice some do not know what a bike is and get worried.

And going back to my orginal point are usually nice looking young ladies 8)

gears_suck
    Free Member

singlecrack – Member
    I just tend to shout ‘ding ding’ And as I’m going past ….say “share the trail please there’s enough for everyone

I’m not remotely interested in being a rambler, but if I was, this would truly piss me off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Old people don’t hear so well. Old people cannot leap out of the way quickly. Old people have brittle bones and are afraid of getting injured as they know the recovery time is long. Old people are used to the paths and bridleways being free of mountain bikes.

The rambler was polite enough, you can just say “excellent idea” and ride on.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Gears_suck …its ment to …..its for ignorant rambler’s who refuse to move even when they know you’re there and continue to walk 5 abreast across the trail

gears_suck
    Free Member

I had a walker deliberately block the tow path on one ride. I had slowed to walking pace and followed up past a lock because we had about 10-12 riders in the group. I was a little ahead and when the path widened where he could not stop me from passing I pulled up along side and said as politely as I could muster. “There are a lot more riders following behind me.” His response was. “This is a footpath. Note the word footpath!” I replied calmly. “No, it’s a towpath, you retard.” Seemed to do the trick.
    Sometimes it’s just easier to get down to their level.
    99% of the time there are no problems, but when there are, I’ve found that politeness will have no positive effect on the situation. You might as we’ll be an ass because no matter what you say, they will think you’re one anyway and I always aim to please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘"might I suggest a bell gentleman" says the angry rambler…’ is closed to new replies.