Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Midweek MTB Madness
  • chakaping
    Free Member

So I’ve just entered next week’s event at Clayton Vale, there are only about a dozen names down on the enthusiast list though.

Anyone else up for an hour or so of XC pain?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll take that as a no then.

Garry_Lager

Hope to do at least 1 or 2 this year, but away for the first couple so can’t make CV.

Clayton Vale was good last year – tight all along that top half so need some friendly but forthright riding to pass folk.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Im hoping to do them all again like I did last year.

Clayton vale is a great little course! There always seems to be a pretty good turnout, quite a few enter on the day I think.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i might do the leverhulme park one in july, seeing as my gf lives right opposite the running track and i could do with exploring the park a little…

sefton
    Free Member

Yep will do them all.what else to do midweek?for all nonracers go get involved in the enthusiast category. Its a friendly affair. Nothing too serious.

Duggan

I’m really keen on doing a few this summer but away on holiday for the first one, will try go make the others though

terrahawk
    Free Member

for the first time ever I can do all of them this year. chuffed!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m really looking forward to them. Im also doing the Nutcracker series this year too.

I hope Chorlton is a little less muddy this year….

chakaping
    Free Member

So I now have a job interview an hour and 45mins before kick off.

I’ll be the one on a red Trek, in a suit and tie and SPD shoes.

Should also be doing Sutton Manor and Leverhulme rounds.

dazh

Should be doing all of them. Did them all last year apart from Chorlton. They’re really good fun, very friendly and non-serious. Great way to get into racing. Was in the enthusiast category last year so doubt I’ll get away with that again.

sefton
    Free Member

round 1 clayton vale tonight http://www.midweekmtbmadness.co.uk/

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I really enjoyed that – so thanks to the organisers.

Nice trails and good atmosphere, thought passing might be awkward but everyone was cool about it.

Think I did OK, went off near the front and didn’t get passed by too many riders.

Anyone know when to expect results? On the BC site I guess?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Results normally on Facebook within a day or two and sometimes make their way onto BC.

I had a woeful start but made up a ton of places. Overtaking was tough at times so had to give it full beans up the climb after the long straight. My lap times were over a minute quicker than last year and that includes the additional jaunt around the field at the end of each lap! Very happy about that!

chakaping
    Free Member

Were you the ritchey rider who came steaming past?

And btw how did my bike get covered in mud when the trails were so dry?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I was on a Cannondale Fsi (lefty). Just watched a video of the start that my wife took, I’m normally near the front into the first corner, I was 30th last night :-s

I think we were very lucky with the rain but the trails were saturated and slippy as hell!

chakaping
    Free Member

Were you in the racer category?

I think you guys splashed all the water of the trail before the rest of us came through.

I thought it was really grippy!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Yep I was in the racer cat. Was like having a mud shower for the first lap

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Were you the ritchey rider who came steaming past?

that was probably Terrahawk!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I was convinced that I only had to do 5 laps. I fought like hell to keep someone behind me only to cross the line and find out I had another lap! Didn’t manage to keep the guy behind me for long after that but didn’t loose another position after him.

Chorlton next. Last year was a mudfest, hopefully it wont be this year. Looks like they’ve changed the course a little too.

If you enjoy these races check out the nutcracker series.

dazh

Had a bit of a nightmare. Was in a decent position after lap 1 and then blew up somewhat, lost tons of places on lap 2, then spent the rest of the time surviving. Felt a bit better towards the end but then got lapped by the leader just before the end so that was that. All good fun though, and a great way to find out just how unfit you are 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

that was probably Terrahawk!

wasn’t me – I was on my old SS last night. Had a shocking start (ended up at the back of the grid due to being a dozy git) and spent the race spinning at 1000 rpm 😉

good fun though. Ace course.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna say I don’t think so unless he’s grown a flowing head of hair and beard and entered the enthusiast class as a ringer.

The photos are up, can’t decide whether I look awesome or horrible…
    http://chrismeadsphotography.zenfolio.com/p545261083/h48199c01#h48199c01

sefton
    Free Member

terrible race for me – dropped chain on steep climb – spent the rest of the time chasing back on (hard course for over taking) – head wind on long road back. got knocked off by back-marker with 2 laps to go. new pads meant I couldn’t get rear wheel back in…so went home and licked my wounds. fast fast race

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Me in my new matching, colour coordinated gear. Fashion makes you fast….?!

http://chrismeadsphotography.zenfolio.com/p545261083/h48199c01#h48190fd9

Average speed was 12.5mph, i’ve done slower road rides…

chakaping
    Free Member

Results on BC now…
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/127916/Midweek-MTB-Madness-Round-1#results

Breaking into the top 10 in enthusiast is good enough for me.

Average speed was 12.5mph, i’ve done slower road rides…

It was fast, but maybe partly because the trails were so well designed and there was hardly any braking.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I somehow managed to claw my way from 30th to 11th in the racer cat! Happy with that, will be aiming for solid top 10 from now on.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m hoping that lap times will end up on roots and rain. There is a great lap / position chart on there.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone race at Chorlton last night? Faaaast pace

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I was helping out doing the timing last night.

Hope you had a good time.

Great weather and turn out, was a good event.

Bolt

Ye, enjoyed it, bit dusty though and a dropped chain cost me about 4 places 🙁

Bolt

P’s thanks to the Marshall etc

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Results on Facebook. Managed 8 / 49 in the racer cat. Chuffed with that!

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I popped over to watch, looked great. Creative use of the space by Kenworthy too (near end of lap), made me want to go explore there more.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sutton Manor next week. Hope its as good as last year, that was a great course

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sutton Manor tonight. Anyone else signed up for a world of pain?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’m in for enthusiast again.

Had to skip the last one as I was on holiday unfortunately.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well that was fun… in a manner of speaking.

Not so much neck-and-neck racing as at round one, only managed to reel a couple of riders in – and just managed to scrape in the top 10 again.

Seemed like a really fast course, first time I’ve wished I’d had some XC rubber instead of my chunky AM tyres. Also having idle thoughts about lowering my fork from 140mm to 120mm. Am I catching the bug?

Thanks to the organisers, marshalls and spectators.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Haha sounds like me. This year my wheels grew from 26in to 29in, my rear shock vanished and front travel shrunk from 120mm to 100mm!

I had a great start as usual and went backwards from there! Managed to hang on to 11th in the racer cat but had some damn good racing throughout.

Was good fun last night. Those turns were super grippy!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Midweek MTB Madness’ is closed to new replies.