• This topic has 107 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • midlife crises car- Cant buy a Porsche suggestions please !
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Midlife crises material !
    I have been umming and rring about buying a classic Porsche either a 924 or a 944, today I test drove a 2.7 944 was truly awesome but the problem is I can’t fit the booster seats in the back ! So its a no go for a Porsche !

I hear you say midlife crises well the children shouldn’t be in the car…they should I want to share my midlife crises with them !

Onto cars then

4 seats

Budget £1500 to £2000

BMW 3 series ?

Must be classic

Don’t want an xr3i or the likes !

I await suggestions…

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you still need booster seats for your kids then you’re no-where near ready for a mid-life crisis yet. Spend your money on a people carrier instead…

Could you get an MG BGT in budget?

midlifecrashes

More space you say…

Edit: my boss used to have kiddy seats in the back of his 944, an S2 if I remember right, can you find different boosters?

matt_outandabout

Saab 900 Turbo?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you still need booster seats for your kids then you’re no-where near ready for a mid-life crisis yet. Spend your money on a people carrier instead…

got a people carrier…

I’m 40 thats midlife material !

the boosters are available for a 944 they cost £170 each…I need two of them

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m 40 thats midlife material!

Hmm – I’m only 4 years older than you and my kids are driving now! I’m planning to do the mid-life crisis car thing later this year, but it will probably be a Porsche!

seba560
    Free Member
    unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hmm – I’m only 4 years older than you and my kids are driving now!

my 20s and 30s where a bit hazy…I wish they weren’t…

Good luck with the Porsche… 😕

Edukator
    Free Member

Budget £1500 to £2000

2CV?

spectabilis
    Free Member

marvincooper

Alfa 156 V6?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

2cv has been looked at…i joke not

midlifecrashes

the boosters are available for a 944 they cost £170 each…I need two of them

Guessing some of the cheaper bits you’ll need to buy for an 80s Porsche.

marvincooper

Corrado?

yunki
    Free Member

If you really need a homoerotic penis extension just go the whole hog and embrace yourself..

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

yunki 😆

it wouldn’t fit in my garage !

hoodie
    Free Member

get a land rover.

geoffj

Hoodie +1

But I’m saving up for a 911 Carrera 4 for my next midlife crisis purchase 8)

garage-dweller

At that price I cannot help think that trouble awaits at every (frequent) garage stop.

If I were in your shoes it would be a 306gti6/rallye, clio or mk2 Golf GTI from the hatches or from the coupes a Honda Prelude 2.2i c. Mid 1990s (the curvy one) OR I would spend 3x as much on something a bit more interesting. I wouldnt chance the reliability of a 2k S4 for example just from an age vs wear and tear perspective but maybe would a 5k one.

br
    Free Member

Jag, just accept that you are 40 now.

But a m/c is the usual answer.

richardk
    Free Member

Alfa GTV for that money. No back seats though, so you’ll have to take the kids one at a time in the front…

radoggair
    Free Member

impreza turbo, clio sport, Toyota Mr2, BMW M3 E39??, corrado or Golf VR6, Honda CRX, 309 GTI, BMW 328i, Audi S2/S3/S4, CIVIC Type R…………

RoterStern
    Free Member

You could always get a Porsche Cayenne. Plenty of room for kids seats in one of those!

edlong
    Free Member

Any Alfa Romeo that takes your fancy and has four seats. Expect bits to fall off etc.

Everyone should have an Alfa at least once.

epicsteve
    Free Member

You could always get a Porsche Cayenne

Perhaps not for £2K though!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

what’s the point in posting if you don’t read the OP?

RustySpanner

unfitgeezer – Member

2cv has been looked at…i joke not

I’ve done fast cars and slow cars:
    Slow cars are much, much more fun. Honest.

However:
    No such thing as a cheap, decent 2CV/Renault 4/Mini anymore – it costs just as much to restore one as it does to restore a 944.

I’d love to own a 944.
    Put the kids in the boot.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Sorry missed the budget bit. 😳

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Get a 944. You want one. Nothing else will do.

Shoehorn the children in. 🙂

matt_outandabout
    mogrim

Ex-military Land Rover. At least that’s what I’d like.

somafunk

If your budget is genuinely only £1500 to £2000 then forget about your mid-life crisis car till you have a few more thousand to spend, you say you want a classic car?, so that means one of at least 20yrs+ in age and with such a tiny budget you’ll get nothing worthwhile – believe me i’ve ran nothing but so called classic cars for years and if it wasn’t for the fact i’m a mechanic to trade with extensive welding experience and a fully equipped garage with 4-post lift/spray booth available whenever i like then i’d be tens of thousands out of pocket.

As an example to dissuade you from a folly that will ruin your life i bought one of the very first MK2 8v Golf Gti’s to arrive in this country in 1984 back in 2010 for £1500, i had spent 6 months searching for a good original early MK2 and out of 20 odd cars i looked at this one was sensibly priced and one of the more solid examples, i ran it for a year then put it off the road and stripped it back to a bare shell and set to work replacing the floor, inner arches, outer arches, chassis/suspension mounts and other extensive welding was done at the time, everything was replaced with OE VW parts apart from the brakes, suspension, anti roll bars, bushes which were all uprated, Ball joints, cv joints, track rod ends, steering rack and every bolts & washer was replaced for new. The bill for all the parts alone came to well over £4000 and as a treat to myself and the car i managed to source and import a 2.0 16v fast road engine from ABT tuning in Germany at a cost i’d rather not mention, if you had to factor in the time that the car was off the road (1 year) whilst the work was being done and my skill/labour times then it would have cost a small fortune to bring up to such a standard and you simply could not afford to pay a garage to do this work for you.

If you buy a classic for £1500/£2000 it will be a dog, if you buy a dog and you have a fully equipped garage and you are mechanically minded with the tools to back it up it will only cost you a small fortune to repair to standard where you can trust it enough to drive your family round in it, Don’t do it unless you have many thousands spare to keep it roadworthy.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

saab was lovely !

somafunk

good advice !

nosedive
    Free Member

Ha ha. Classic saab turbos i love. I miss my 9000 .expect some significant garage bills

aracer
    Free Member

“the boosters are available for a 944 they cost £170 each…I need two of them”
    Guessing some of the cheaper bits you’ll need to buy for an 80s Porsche.

Indeed. If the cost of those bothers you, then that’s the reason not to get a 944. On that budget, the only sensible option is something ordinary but fun if you must buy a car for your mlc.

somafunk

I know you said a Porsche was out as you cannot fit rear seats but just as well, you’ll be very hard pressed to find a good example for less than £6k that doesn’t need a few thousand spent on it.

You may find a decent run-out model MK2 VW Scirocco 1800cc 8valve GTI/GT11 or Scala for around your budget, fun cars to drive and i’ve owned a few, the one pictured below had a 2.1 16v engine on twin 48 webers, only got 15-20mpg at best but it was a hoot to drive and the downdraft/suction from the carbs sucked small children from their pushchairs as you drove along the road.

MrNutt
    Free Member

somafunk you should have had my 8v mk2 off me, it was rot free and in the end my old man practically gave it away (£500) as I didn’t have time to find it a new home and no one on here wanted it!!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

i fail to believe there are any non molested/thrashed sciroccos around now.

how about an audi 80 4wd?

madhouse

If you buy an old car for £2k be prepared to spend the same again fixing it – at least. I know this a my own slice of 70’s nostalgia has cost me more than twice it’s initial cost and it cost a fair bit more than you plan to spend.

Still wouldn’t change it though. Just make sure you go in to it with your eyes open.

I you’re going to spend £2k on an old 4 seater, you could do worse than an old 3 series or Merc.

dc11
    Free Member

It’s got to be an e30 325i coupe, surely?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘midlife crises car- Cant buy a Porsche suggestions please !’ is closed to new replies.