Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Midges, what really works?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Then, once in the tent, I had a huge red ring around the bottom of my back where my top had ridden up whilst pitching.

Rookie mistake, always spray around around your waist line! Agree about them still swarming you though, they do, but least they don’t bite.

jon1973
    Free Member

Tried to pitch the tent in quite possibly the worst midge swarm I have ever seen. I had scores of midges hanging from my eyelids

That doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.

matt_outandabout

Smidge has transformed summer up here.

Avon just drowns the beggars one at a time it seems.
    Anything with deet/monster chemicals in burns my poor gentle skin and only lasts a couple of hours.

Smidge just works, and for a long time.

allfankledup

Sit on the beach with an offshore wind.

Or buy a boat and admire the Scottish countryside whilst afloat

Love from Ayrshire

CountZero

Smidge just works, and for a long time.

How much do you need to use?
    Just a sm…
    IGMC 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Considering camping around Argyll/Loch Fyne and the Western Highlands sometime June/July – how bad is it likely to be? Worth putting off the trip or just go for it? Have survived South Florida but it took a loooong time for the buzzing blighters to go off me.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nothing really works, but the tantalising possibility that something might torments us as we scratch furiously.

🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Malvern, in all honesty, not coming to Scotland because of midges is like not going to New York because you dont like hotdogs.

Get some smidge and you’ll be fine. Honestly.

Some of us manage camping in the NW every weekend (heck, some of us even work outside!) without much more than a few sweary words now and then.

Midges don’t like direct sunlight, wind or smidge. You’ll almost always have at least one of those at your disposal.

Northwind

Folks say Skin So Soft doesn’t work, I did some Science and put some on one arm not the other while camping in midge hell at inverarnan, left me in no doubt at all that it works, they still landed on both arms but they bit the **** out of the un-lubed arm… Also, you can combine it- SSS then a spray of some evil chemical over the top.

scotroutes

It does work – if applied liberally and often. As you’ve spotted, it’s not actually a repellant, it’s a barrier.

ransos
    Free Member

The downside of SSS is you end up with a film of dead midges up your arms and legs.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Face net. Tuck it in.

They won’t leave you alone so protect the fragile bits that get bitten anyway: ears, eyelids, nose.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Although I would no more camp in damp, overgrown vegetation next to still water in July than I would put my head in the oven.

13thfloormonk

For the campsite, we had good results with mosquito coils. The midgies may just not have been present that night, although the pitter-patter of hungry midgies against tent fabric the next morning suggests otherwise…

sweepy
    Free Member

Whatever you think works take a net for when it doesn’t.

Mikkel
    Free Member

my sweat, scientifically tested and found to repel them.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Midges, what really works?’ is closed to new replies.