Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Middlesbrough and Teesside
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I may have the oppertunity to spend the next 3 months living in the peoples republic of north Yorkshire, any hints and tips on what to do and say other than wear a stab proof vest, eat gregs to blend in and don’t stare look at the locals?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’ll be an eye-opener. Steel City is a good gym if you need one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Where’s good to live? I’d be working on one of the petrochems sites just south of the river (Milton?), it was that or Tunisia, and someone else took Tunisia citing that they thought it would be safer!

crispo
    Free Member

One word: Parmo

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d have gone for Tunisia.

Yarm, Guisborough, Northalerton. I wouldn’t get any closer than that.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Guisborough, then you can ride from your door!! Hutton Village, even better!! 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

Ach it’s not that bad – they’ve made a massive effort to bring sum cultcha to the area recently. Also, the steel works is back up and running (albeit in reduced capacity) so you’re less likely to be mugged by a huge, unemployed metal-worker.

Good riding very nearby too! I’m just up the road (between Durham and Sunderland) so give me a shout if you want a tour of the local singletrack.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ach it’s not that bad

No, it really is. The surrounding area is fine, but middlesbrough is a war zone. Just breathing is a health hazard.

mk1fan
    Free Member

They’re not as ignorant or prejudical as Cumbrians so there’s a plus point.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They aren’t called Smog Monsters for nothing.

verses

Lived there for 3 years in the mid-late 90s so it’s possibly changed a bit since then.
    At the time the worst area was Grange Town over to the east, and I was always advised to avoid going north of the train station too.

I lived pretty centrally and while living there I personally had no bother what-so-ever although I know a few people who did.

Having said that, there was the time that me and a mate were on the way back from a club at 2am and were confronted by a bloke brandishing an axe in a park. He asked to scrounge a fag, then politely refused my mate’s last one before asking if we’d seen the bloke who’d punched his g/f in the stomach causing her to miscarry…

Creg

Is it Wilton you are working at?

Redcar is nearby, but its a dive. Saltburn isn’t as bad, but still bad. Guisborough is OK-ish. Central Middlesbrough offers very cheap accomodation, some of the lowest rent rates in the country but it’s the only positive about the place. Avoid areas like South Bank, Eston, Gresham, Winnybanks, Grove Hill, Easterside and Saltersgill if you want a quiet life.

As others have said loads of decent riding to be had (Guisborough, Dalby, NYM). Excellent surfing and kitesurfing in the area (if that is your thing or you want to give it a try) and some good walking as well.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I worked at Wilton (WMRC). One of the plants blew up (well, vented many hundreds of tons of flammable liquid). That was impressive in a end-of-the-world kind of way. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, so in general, stay out of the cities and I’ll survive!

Anyone recomend some bike friendly accomadation? Don’t fancy spending 3 months in a travelodge!

squin
    Free Member

I lived there back in the early 90’s and in 3 years nothing bad happened…….apart from being threatened with a knife twice, and shot at by some scroat with an air rifle!

Most depressing place I have EVER been.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I lived there back in the early 90’s and in 3 years nothing bad happened…….apart from being threatened with a knife twice, and shot at by some scroat with an air rifle!

Most depressing place I have EVER been.

Saw a drive by shooting with a shotgun. Only shot out somebody’s front windows though. The police repsonse was funny. A little panda car drove past then raced off again without stopping.

Stabbings, bottling, glassings, endless fights, quite a good gang battle in a nightclub (metal barstool is better than a broken glass by the way), the blood in the stairway was impressive. The bouncers had been lobbing fire extinguisher at people (Centrefolds if you remember it). A full on riot (or week of), cars being petrol bombed, cars being turned upside down (with people in them once). The younguns building a bonfire on top of a gas main was impressive. Then lobbing bricks at the fire brigade. An alsation trained to fetch bricks being lobbed through car windows was a comic highlight.

A mate was attacked. He got away but the lad he was with ended up in a coma. These were meathead boro bouncers set upon by a gang of kids so being a hardman didn’t help!

Lee Duffy was killed 100yds from my house.

I used to train in the same gym as Big Brian (Cockerill). Nice guy. Very big… blue all over. I saw him on Macintyre’s Underworld a couple of years ago.

The guy on the door of the gym was shot in the forehead with an airgun. Quite funny. Well, the bandage was.

I had a car and two motorbikes knicked (my next door neighbour’s brother nicked one of the bikes – she told me in a “he’s a bit of a character” kind of way).

There was rarely a dull day 😆

neil853
    Free Member

Boro not that bad, but then i’m from up the road. Typical student nightlife whicj IHO is good.

Some really good riding nearby and there a good esablished club there now called Guisborough MTB which could show you some routes. Also worth checking out Westbrook cycles in Stokesly (excellent shop that still still gets some of my trade even though i like in Lancs now!).

Places to live though i’d look at Guisborough, Great Ayton, Stokesley, Marton, Nunthorpe or even Ingleby Baaaaaaaaaaaaawick (thats how its pronounced 😆

If you’re there for that long surely worth looking at a short term let?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Hey, leave Ingleby alone!!! Great place!! 😉

Neil is spot on, basically the North Rocks!

I’ve been to far worse places, London / Nottingham / Manchester & thats just naming a few!

5thElefant – You mean just like most places in the UK then plus Duffy was a drug dealing bully but messed with the wrong person. Them people deserved everything they get in my book!

5thElefant
    Free Member

5thElefant – You mean just like most places in the UK then

No, it really isn’t. I’m sure there are other places just as bad, but it’s not most by a long, long way.

plus Duffy was a drug dealing bully but messed with the wrong person. Them people deserved everything they get in my book!

That’s not what happened. But yes, someone was going to get him eventually.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

whatever!!

See below, thats normal, boro is a hole, fact, but the places stated above are fine, no issues.

I’m also ok to show you some trails, if so, give me a shout!

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Check out mtbguisborough.ning.com for riding.

I moved here from outside the area a few years back – grown to love it but avoid the boro at all costs.

I’m in Saltburn which is spot on: no trouble, by the sea, half decent pubs / restaurants and a 45min ride up to the moors. Also only 10 mins by car to Wilton if that’s where you’re going to be. Mail in profile if you want to be shown around the trails.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea the short term let Vs hotel needs discussion/argument with my boss, they prefer Hotels as they dont have to give any notice and can move people about easier, but people sometimes end up living from a suitcase for 8+ months and more importantly I’d be without a bike!

stevehine

It’s not that bad up here – I moved to the (relatively) rural bit after 8 years in Manchester; and whilst there’s good and bad aspects to both areas; I wouldn’t dream of going back to urban life…

anyhoo – If you are working short term at Wilton site (and presumably mid week; therefore not interested in night life) I’d find a hotel over Guisborough way; that way you get riding from your door and Wilton is only 5 minutes away over the other side of Eston Nab.

I’m sure there are a few of us who could show you round the riding that’s to be had in the area. Send me an e-mail if you need any other info or if there’s anything you want me to find out …

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

hi Steve, hows things? Mail me!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Middlesbrough and Teesside’ is closed to new replies.