Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Middleburn X-type crank experiences.
  • PJ266
    Free Member

Anyone using the external BB Middleburn cranks on here?

How have you found them? Any nightmares?

Cheers.

boxfish
    Free Member

Yes, I had a set when they first came out which, despite being fitted as per the instructions, had to be sawn off the axle to get them off. 😯

Went back to HTII after that.

parkesie
    Free Member

If your a heel scuffer get silver.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJ266
    Free Member

Silver is the choice so no worries there.

Boxfish’ issues don’t sound so great though.

tonyd

I have some, I think they were probably one of the first they produced as I had to wait some time for them (through LBS not far from the factory). I really like them and have had no issues whatsoever, other than thinking I’d have to cut them off when changing frames but it turned out I was trying to undo them on the wrong side 🙂 Very embarrassing trip to the LBS that one!

ernie

Owned two pairs since they were first released. Never a problem, had some questions about alternative chain ring options and a quick call to the factory got me an immediate response. Plus the chain rings last longer than the Duracell bunny on steroids

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have always wanted some middleburns but gave up on the dream when ht2 came out (I hate internal BBs). How strong are they and what do they weigh?

parkesie
    Free Member

X type uses ht2 bearings. Similar weight to xt. Mine dont fit my cannondale 29er is the only problem ive had 🙁 chain stay clearance issue.

Aidan
    Free Member

I have a wide set of X-Types with a Hope BB on my fat bike.

Much nicer to fit than the Surly fat cranks (fewer random bolts + washers). They weigh less, and look about a million times better.

I used them in the Iditarod and had no issues for 1000 miles. After the 1000 miles, I had to take them off again to fly back from the finish line and I did that in the airport with no trouble whatsoever.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

iditarod

… Singlespeed fat bike.

My hero!

**swoons**

FWIW, my xtype middleburns are also creamy smooth and lovely – with no issues.

PJ266
    Free Member

I think I’m sold on them, just got to decide where to purchase from.

Anyone used activesport.co.uk?

PJ266
    Free Member

After a quick search it seems Mark Anthony/activesport don’t have the best rep…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I got mine off an eBay seller. £150 brand spanking new too.

shermer75
    Free Member

Activesport get complained about on here A LOT ;-). The general jist is fine if your item is in stock, nightmare if not, and no way to tell the difference! 🙂

mick_r

Just bought a 4 arm Middleburn spider from Activesport with no problems – delivery was about 3-4 days but that is what they quoted so no complaints. Sheer amount of stuff listed almost looks like Middleburn have made them their main stockist – maybe worth a ‘phone call first?

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

RS8’s for sale on Pinkbike

scaredypants

PJ266 – Member
    I think I’m sold on them, just got to decide where to purchase from.
    Anyone used activesport.co.uk?

Me.
    I bought some x-type cranks. Was a bit apprehensive but they arrived well within a week

paul_m

I got mine from activesport – I needed them in a rush, so phoned them up. They built them within the hour and shipped them the same day – obviously it was all built from what they had in stock.

Have since ordered some different spiders from them and that arrived within a few days as well.

I love the fact that when I went 1 x 10 I just ordered a new spider, I have now gone 1 x 11 and again I could just order a new spider if I wanted to use SRAM chainrings.

frood
    Free Member

yup, got them on my Fireline, were previously on my trek superfly al. Love them, stiff, adaptable previously had them as a 2x setup, now on a single ring setup, lovely to install, the pretension lockring makes things nice and simple.

And … lifetime warranty… had a friend whose square taper ones broke after over 10 years on various bikes including DH and polo rigs… they asked for a photo and dispatched a new set the next day. Awesome service, great cranks!

Also got mine from activesport, no troubles with the service there

PJ266
    Free Member

Ok, well at least theres some encouraging stories!

If I can’t find any second hand in the next couple of months at least I know I can purchase with slightly less trepidation from them.

Cheers for the heads up on the ones on Pinkbike.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn X-type crank experiences.’ is closed to new replies.