Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Middleburn Uno… Sq Taper or Isis???
  • JB
    Free Member

Now I know the longevity of Sq Taper BBs is in theory much longer… but isnt there a compromise here in that over time the Crank/Spindle can wear resulting in a crank arm continuously coming loose.. a problem I've never experienced with my old Isis cranks.

Seeing as you can now get a Crank Bros Cobalt BB for £25 from CRC… I'm sort of thinking its not a bad plan..

What do you think chaps??

JB

JRTG
    Free Member

Square is defo better as my isis bb's die in months, even the crank bros one I had only lasted 8 months (has a 5 year warranty).

However superstar components now do a isis bb with the bearings running straight on the axle (like a square taper or a skf one). lasting well so far but is only 3 months and about 900 miles old…..

oldgit
    Free Member

I had my only ever issues with square taper when I used it with an Uno. The later replacement was ISIS and that was fautless.
    I've been using a Superstar ISIS for a year now, and raced a season with it fitted to my crosser.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I am a fan of sq. (& MB, uno, dual, etc). Set-up properly and with periodic inspection it is rock solid

JoeNation
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Shimano UN54 square BBs.

andrewh
    Free Member

I had ISIS Middleburn RS8, BBs were shocking, and CRC customer service cr@p. Now have square taper RS8s, UN74, lovely.
    My other bikes have all been square, other my current race bike which has press-fit bearing thingys. If they did an adapter for that it would be square too (Tune AC38 for that one!)

Denis99
    Free Member

Good to hear this, I've just bought a Middleburn RS7 square taper – yet to be fitted. Could you confirm my installation please.

Will be fitted to a 68 x 113 White Industry b/b .

Smidgen of copper slip on the square tapers.

Middleburn crank arm bolts with some Loctite 222 and torque to Middleburns recommended setting. Leave to cure overnight, and re check torque setting.

Periodically (once a month?) re check torque and adjust as necessary.

clubber
    Free Member

I've never had a square taper crank come loose yet and I've ridden them for a long time now.

postierich
    Free Member

JB my crank coming loose on Thursday night was a once in a blue moon moment! dodgy bolt

Rich

JB
    Free Member

Hey Rich, glad its ok… looks like Sq Taper then!!! 😛

rockitman

I'm about to order mine and thus have the same decision to make…

As I'm a big guy and thus I exert a lot of pressure. Will I be OK with Sq taper?

epicsteve
    Free Member

ISIS, but only if you're stupid.

clubber
    Free Member

As I'm a big guy and thus I exert a lot of pressure. Will I be OK with Sq taper?

No problems with mine and I'm a big guy 🙂

martyntr
    Free Member

Square – If it's not broken don't fix it.

VanHalen

the only bb's i've snapped have been square taper.

depends on your application i suppose. i wouldnt want square taper for DH shore jumpy fun riding.

Ringo
    Free Member

I have Isis with an skf bb trouble free for over a year now and I ride through all the shit over winter

rockitman

It's gonna be mainly for enduros. 24hour solo's – Kielder 100 etc,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn Uno… Sq Taper or Isis???’ is closed to new replies.