Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Middleburn cranks, help me please!
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

Looking for some new cranks for my own bike and fancy some RS7’s, but also thinking of a 2×10 system. Can this be done with the middleburns? I seem to remember there being a duo set up. Would be looking for something like a 29/36 ike the Sram stuff.

speaker2animals

Have a look at the Middleburn site? Though it never seems to be up to date. Last time I looked there was nothing on about the new crank for external BBs. There is a Duo set up but I don’t think the ratios are extensive.

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/chainrings_duo.php

nickc

You can fit the duo spider to any set of middleburn cranks, but IIRC there’s only a couple of choices of chainring sizes. might be better to run a normal spider and dump the granny?

Roblilly
    Free Member

I run a middleburn RS7 duo in 29/42 on my Orange with a 12-34 at the back. Works fine for me at trail centres etc the bike tends to wheely out up steep stuff before I run out of grunt….

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The Duo set up offers 44/29 and various other combinations. I remember a magazine test a few years ago saying it felt a little flexy so better suited for spinners rather than stampers.

Matt from Middleburn popped into my shop a couple of weeks ago with a sample of one of his external BB cranksets. It’s quite similar to the RS7 and uses the same detachable spider so you can run it Duo, 4 bolt or 5 bolt (MTB or Compact) depending on your preferences.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Had a quick on the their site and it looked a bit out of date.

Looks like i may just dump one of the rings on a triple.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Middleburn do 27 or 29 as the inner ring with a choice of 38/40/40/42 as a choice for the outer!

andrewh
    Free Member

With regards to what Nick said, I’ve got an RS8 with conventional triple spider on my SS, just running a 38 on the middle ring position and it’s working perfectly well.

mtbfix

The duo set-up has only 3 arms so maybe a tad flexible but certainly very clean looking. I use a std 104/64mm crank with the outer ring removed. This way every chainring combination under the sun is available to you.

ziggy
    Free Member

New external style cranks are only triple at the moment, a duo spider from standard rs7’s won’t fit.

mcboo
    Free Member

I use 29-40 with 34t cassette…….you dont need anything else.

speaker2animals

Ziggy – does this mean that the Uno ring/spider won’t work on the external BB cranks either or have Middleburn created a new one to fit the new spider interface?

I like Middleburn but do think it’s time that they actually got someone working on their website. Not sure if it’s been worked on in the last 5 years. Still has the “Road Cranks – coming soon” notice on and nothing about the new crank/bb.

Pauly

I run a 27/39 on my Middleburns.

ando227
    Free Member

Very very happy with my RS7 Duo setup, and i am certainly a stomper!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I have a brand new RS8 square taper duo set-up which I have never used. Such a shame…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn cranks, help me please!’ is closed to new replies.