Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Middleburn Chainrings any good?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Looking for some XT replacement rings (M760) and CRC have a set of three for £50 (+10% off this weekend). Are they any good? Or shall I stick with the trusted XT rings?

meeeee
    Free Member

my middleburn outer (hardcoat slickshift one) is fine, shifting seemed a bit 'rougher' when i first fitted it and had the bike on the stand but couldnt tell any difference from an XT one after a few miles into the first ride.

Doesnt have as many ramps etc as a shimano one, and i dont know if this would make more difference to shifting smoothness on a middle ring.

I reckon i'd buy middleburn ones again.

alexpalacefan

I went from Middleburn, which I thought were sh*te to tell the truth, poor shifting and terrible chainsuck from new, to SLX, which has been fantastic.

Shimano may not do everytthing well, but this has got to be one thing they just do right. So, XT is nice, but I've been very happy with SLX,

A

Skyliner
    Free Member

Thanks all, I'm looking to replace all three and need to make a decision before the 10% sale ends. Never thought about SLX/LX. I dont want to spend silly XT money again tho hence the too good to be true middleburn price.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a set of Blackspire that wore out. Changed to Middleburn slickshift hardcoat and also changed the cassette, chain, rear mech, cables and shifters. The Middleburn rings were sucking in the workstand! Middleburn blamed the sram chain so I switched to shimano and it still wouldn't work. Binned the rings and fitted raceface and all was fine with either chain.

I'll not be using them again.

Skyliner
    Free Member

I think it'll be cheaper for me to buy a whole SLX crankset. Thanks for the Middleburn wise words!! 😀 I nearly did it!!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use a full Middleburn set and have never had any chainsuck and they shift beautifully. I use a sram chain I think.

J

mt
    Free Member

Middleburn are good rings, been using them for years on MTB's Cross and tandem. Never had a problem. They light and strong and now due to exchange rates of the imports very well priced. Full chain sets are brilliant.

joolsburger
    Free Member

yeah crappy old middleburn eh, better off with SLX.

Jesus.

Merlinman

Middleburn are fine – I use Jon & Chris at RJC – very quick free delivery and discounts based on order size.

Top guys!

Crag
    Free Member

I've used them in the past – initially very good. However, don't last that long and end up with the worst chainsuck you could imagine.

Ended up using Deore middle and granny ever since. Cheap as chips and last 3 times as long.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

they last well but the shifting isn't up to Shimano standards.

The Duo rings are the worst IME.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn Chainrings any good?’ is closed to new replies.