Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Middleburn
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Just bought SJS out of middleburn cable oilers. Anything else I should try to get hold of before stock is depleted?

Fancied one of their touring chainsets but can’t find one anywhere. Did they even come to market?

somafunk

Yeah, i bought one from Matt for my Tripster and it’s a very nice bit of kit indeed. 28/38 chainrings with a praxis 40t rear cassette gives a 20″ low gear.

frood
    Free Member

When I called sjs this morning they didn’t know middleburn had gone :/

Speshpaul

Soma are you using STi’s and a 10 speed rear mech ?

somafunk

Nah, I “uglied” my tripster with a set of carbon jones bars so i ended up fitting XTR 10speed mechs/shifters, with Jones bars it is more practical for off-road use

deft
    Free Member

Well they do now – just doubled the price of all the cranks they had left!

trickydisco
    Free Member

you’re not kidding. Middleburn uno ring was £46 a few days ago now they’re 93.99!

clodhopper
    Free Member

Jesus, they have too! I was browsing some the other day, and they have definitely just gone up massively!

Opportunistic bastards! Can see it from a business point of view, but pretty bloody mean and greedy!

Or; have MB really gone bust, or is it a cynical move to shift loads of stock that wasn’t selling? 🙄

fourbanger
    Free Member

SJS just gone down massively in my estimation.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Very uncool price hikes by SJS..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not ever buying from SJS again…

unless the prices drop back down…

2 32 t/t unos were available on ebay but I just bought them…

cannondaleking
    Free Member

SJS have just drop right down in my estimations I was concidering a new uno ring last week but know forget it will fit the spider back on and go for other rings again.

clodhopper
    Free Member

So email them! Let them know that their actions aren’t appreciated by potential customers.

Don’t know if it will do much good, but if they end up not shifting stuff at the high prices, they might relent.

TheGingerOne

What would happen warranty wise now if you did buy something Middleburn and it was faulty? As they can’t recover costs from Middleburn, maybe they have to factor that in, but then as a consumer I would expect the price to drop due to the above – Difficult position perhaps for shops with stock?

trickydisco
    Free Member

just ordered an uno ring through rjc extreme for £44

lovewookie

SJS are taking the p royally. £100 for middleburn spiders?

RJC and clee are still showing some online, whether that reflects stock however…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Decision made by their MD who is at Eurobike at the moment apparently. Waiting to here back.

trickydisco
    Free Member

turns out i haven’t as they’ve just informed me they don;t have that in stock. God i can’t stand bike sites that take your money and then tell you they haven’t got the item in stock!

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

turns out i haven’t as they’ve just informed me they don;t have that in stock. God i can’t stand bike sites that take your money and then tell you they haven’t got the item in stock![/quote]

Heh, same here. Ordered an X-Type Uno after reading this post earlier, and had the same email this evening.

Don’t have any in stock or looking to sell on to SJS? 🙄

Do any other manufacturers make single chainrings that will fit on an X-Type crank?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Think i might go for the onekey oval chainring

Although i’m confused why it says “suitable for shimano centrelock system”

?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So this is Frood’s fault not the shops 😆

lunge

Very uncool price hikes by SJS

Really? Product is in demand, with a very limited supply, why would they not do that?

They’re a bike shop, any chance to make money they should take.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Because it’s cynical opportunism, cashing in on the demise of a great little engineering firm. SJS have already bought the products from Middleburn, none of the money they get now will benefit that company.

Yes, it’s business, but business relies on customers, and if customers choose not to use your business because they aren’t happy with your business practices, then you’re loosing potential trade. If your reputation suffers as a result of your desire to make a quick buck, then it can have a negative effect. What will SJS make from pushing it’s Middleburn prices up, a few grand? And what do they potentially stand to lose as a result of people choosing to shop elsewhere because they feel SJS are a bunch of shysters?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Really? Product is in demand, with a very limited supply, why would they not do that?
    They’re a bike shop, any chance to make money they should take.

I can understand raising the prices a little….but doubling them? From £46 to £93.99?

That’s taking the p1ss!

lunge

Yes, it’s business, but business relies on customers, and if customers choose not to use your business because they aren’t happy with your business practices, then you’re loosing potential trade.

Absolutely, and they’ve (presumably) made a calculation that putting the prices up the right thing to do commercially.

SJS as not CRC or Wiggle, most people I know use them to get hold of bits that other shops don’t have. I suspect, in a years time Middleburn will fall into that category.

But hey, I don’t expect others to agree but I can’t argue with what they’ve done at all.

swoosh
    Free Member

I have a square taper RS7 175mm crankset with 32mm uno ring on if anyone wants it. I even have a sq taper BB too.

Judging by the SJS prices I probably need to ask about £500 for this set 😉

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Absolutely, and they’ve (presumably) made a calculation that putting the prices up the right thing to do commercially.”

Wel, they’ve just lost £200+ from myself alone, this week. And any future custom. And it seems I’m just one of several on this forum alone. Maybe they have made the right decision. I doubt this situation will have a massive impact on their business. But reputations are hard won, and easily lost.

ajantom

SJS cycles in being money grabbing and bloody minded shocker 😉 not a surprise based on personal experience from the past!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because it’s cynical opportunism, cashing in on the demise of a great little engineering firm. SJS have already bought the products from Middleburn, none of the money they get now will benefit that company.

It’s supply and demand. Simple as that. There’s now a limited supply and as this thread proves, demand has risen (temporarily) as everyone is stocking up. You’d have to be mental to sell it at a discount.
    You just wait until the oil fields start running out….. 🙂

clodhopper
    Free Member

“It’s greed supply and demand. Simple as that.”

FTFY.

It’s done me a favour actually. I won’t now be buying a product with a useless warranty and no after sales back-up. Which SJS are selling for a massively increased price. 🙄

honourablegeorge

Well, the warranty would now be with SJS and not Middleburn. Maybe theyre pricing for that risk

avdave2

Wel, they’ve just lost £200+ from myself alone, this week. And any future custom. And it seems I’m just one of several on this forum alone

Until of course they are the only people who stock that particular bit you need 🙂

It might be cynical opportunism or it might be as others have said that they will take the full costs of any warranty issues and so have taken immediate action to mitigate that. And if they don’t sell then they’ll have to reduce the costs.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Didn’t buy a RS8 for my second bike last month as I was waiting for a small bonus to be paid this month and so not putting it on a credit card. Missed out now :(. Silly me.

tomhoward

Well, the warranty would now be with SJS

It always was, it’s just they now have no fall back, hence…

Maybe theyre pricing for that risk

Though I don’t think Middleburn were known for a lot of warranty claims

shermer75
    Free Member

Sad to hear that Middleburn have gone, I always really like their stuff!

RustyNissanPrairie

I stocked up on cable oilers earlier this week from SJS after reading of Middleburns demise – they’ve doubled in price now too!

drofluf
    Free Member

Sad to see them go, really pleased with the Uno cranks. Which leaves me with a problem of what to when my chainring wears out. Do I:

– Hope that I can replace from Goldtech, Wolf etc.
    – Switch to a Shimano
    – Buy a spider so that I can use regular chainrings

What do people think? Will Goldtech etc. continue to produce compatible parts? Don’t really like the spider option as it rather detracts from the good looks of the cranks

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sad to see them go, really pleased with the Uno cranks. Which leaves me with a problem of what to when my chainring wears out. Do I:

– Hope that I can replace from Goldtech, Wolf etc.
    – Switch to a Shimano
    – Buy a spider so that I can use regular chainrings

What do people think? Will Goldtech etc. continue to produce compatible parts? Don’t really like the spider option as it rather detracts from the good looks of the cranks

+1

I love my middleburn uno cranks. I’ve just bought a hardcoat ring and wondering the same.

soulwood
    Free Member

Goldtec are also no more. The bike shop attached to the manufacturing side has moved location and is now called Spokes, in Silverdale, Newcastle under Lyme.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn’ is closed to new replies.