Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Middlebrun or SLX middle chainring?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I need a new middle ring for my LX crank, and want to go 2 x 9 for a change. As I want a 36T the only ones I've come across so for are SLX and Middleburn. Will the SLX fit an LX crank and are they better than a Middleburn?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Got a 36t truvativ on mine – bought a crankset off merlin and sold the arms – 24/36/polycarbonate bash for £20

z1ppy

What about?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24653

It seems to be down to personal taste, no one rides in the same conditions so no-one can say for sure that one is better than the other, especially as you haven't suggest with MB you'd buy… std or S/S or H/C or S/S & H/C.
    The SLX range is supposed to be good but then so is the MB S/S & H/C, but are they worth the extra over a simple steel deore?

I've just gone with the MiddleBurn as I like them and reckon they last a decent enough amount of time & the deciding factor is that I'm willing to spend the money on myself.

sharkbait
    Free Member

z1ppy: That Deore ring is more expensive than the SLX, thought they were cheaper!
    Would probably go with a Middleburn S/S & H/C but no-one seems to have them in stock, hence the SLX question.

z1ppy

Eeek didn't check stock/prices, but the deore are steel, so should last longer?
    Though as there deore the shifting may be a bit poorer than the SLX.
    Needs must at the end of the day, though Iam still pushing my chainset to the limit before replacing it all
    (have bought a bunch of powerlinks to get me home @ worst)

clubber
    Free Member

I'm on 2×9 too and have a 36T SLX 'outer' – I got it cheap on here. I think that otherwise I'd have got Middleburn just because they tend to last longer though maybe not shift quite as well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

gone for the 36t SLX.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Middlebrun or SLX middle chainring?’ is closed to new replies.