Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Middle lane hoggers.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

On the M4 this morning, on my motorbike, in a rare quieter section. Hardly any traffic but low and behold, some muppet hogging the middle lane. Really gets my goat. Lane discipline isn't difficult to understand. He was well over 400 yeards away from the next lorry in lane 1. Anyway, silly I know but to make my point, I went into lane one, passed him and came back out showing how easy it was to use lane one. I then gave him the slow head shake although I'm never sure if people even relaise what's going on. Then I decided to leave him behind as it wasn't worth the bother. What's the betting he then mistook my acceleration for speeding!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

8)

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I know someone that got banned for starting a thread like this once… 🙄

nickegg
    Free Member

How original…

falkirk-mark

should be on the chat forum

chakaping
    Free Member

should be on the chat forum

Yes, not because of the topic but becuase it's the one in the middle.

Nick

I've found I'm much happy now I've decided to not let little things bother me, I'm sure that sometimes middle lane hoggers are a menace, but generally only because people start driving like utter femalefrontbottoms whenever they come across them instead of concentrating on what they are doing.

DezB
    Free Member

Overtook one this morning. Zafira with **** George crosses fluttering away.
    I cut right across his front bumper into the (completely empty) left lane. He didn't get the hint. Retard.

Flashing headlights at them to move over is a better option to taking them on the inside or cutting across their bumper.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Obi_Twa – Member
    I know someone that got banned for starting a thread like this once…

there was way more than one thread by your erm friend

njee20
    Free Member

One day of these 'double' thread things will be real, and it'll be very funny indeed.

tonyd
    stumpy01

Nooooooooooooooooo! Don't start this one up again!

The conclusion last time was that if you anyway interfered with the progress of middle lane hoggers, tried to point out the error of their ways or heaven forbid, commit the unholy sin of undertaking them you would be burned in the fires of hell for evermore.

I think the thinking was that you should sit behind them (observing the 2-second rule) until they realise the error of their ways and move over. You are allowed from your 2-second gap to make an 'unaggressive' flash of your lights to alert them to your presence, although no definition was given as to what constituted an 'unaggressive' flash.

For a couple of weeks after the last thread about this, I tried the whole 'sit back & flash your lights' method and it didn't work once.
    I also sat behind people to see how long they would stay in their own little world before realising others wanted to pass them (in a legal manner) and the longest I measured was 10 miles; in general it was a couple of miles although there were several people who hung on for 5-6 miles.

This morning I had blokie in outside lane in front of me doing about 65mph between two roundabouts about 2 miles apart. Wouldn't move over. After second roundabout, he then sat at 65mph before going up to 70, then 80mph (and maybe even a bit more). I could tell he didn't want to go faster than the 65 he was doing as he was very hesitant, but he just didn't want me to overtake him. Eventually I got to my turning & pulled into the inside lane, whereupon he immediately slowed down to the 65mph he had been doing earlier.
    I won't mention what car he was driving……

RealMan
    Free Member

If I'm going 70mph I can be in whatever lane I choose, as its the speed limit. No one should be doing over 70mph, so why would anyone be overtaking me? If you're trying to overtake me when I'm doing 70mph, its you who are in the wrong.

Nah I'm kidding I don't even drive, people who sit in the middle lane are idiots. 😀

Don't know about the rest of the country, but a lot of the motorway signs now display the message "Don't hog the middle lane" or something similar quite often.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So two wrongs do make a right 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I'm going 70mph I can be in whatever lane I choose….

I was just about to launch into you there….. Then I read the whole post 😉 😀

Phototim
    Free Member

I was once pulling on to an empty stretch of motorway with a car in front of me. To my utter amazement, the guy pull onto the motorway and straight into the middle lane, even though there was no other traffic around! It was like an automatic knee jerk reaction, get to the middle lane quick! Because I was pushing the 115 wild untameable stallions in my focus to the limit I was accerating faster than him and had to pull from the slip road right the way across all 3 lanes and then back again. What a joke.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some people call it the "lorry lane". I wonder if that might be part of the problem.

D0NK

Some people call it the "lorry lane"

some people are idiots – and yes I think some people do believe that phrase to be true.

stumpy01

I was once pulling on to an empty stretch of motorway with a car in front of me. To my utter amazement, the guy pull onto the motorway and straight into the middle lane, even though there was no other traffic around! It was like an automatic knee jerk reaction, get to the middle lane quick! Because I was pushing the 115 wild untameable stallions in my focus to the limit I was accerating faster than him and had to pull from the slip road right the way across all 3 lanes and then back again. What a joke

Yeah, I see this all the time. Straight into lane 2 and then hold a steady 64mph.

Onzadog – yeah, I think that's part of the problem sometimes. People don't want to be in the 'slow' lane.

Trimix
    Free Member

I commute to work on my motorcycle along the dual carridgeway so there is no middle lane – apart from the one just for me 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

M1 round these parts has just (finally) opened as a 4 lane section
    Went up from J25 to 28 on Saturday. despite it being almost completely empty most people where sat in lane 3 of 4
    One person came on in front of me at 26 and went straight across to lane 4 at almost 90 degrees. I tootled along with cruise on at 70 in lane 2 (I had moved out pre-empting the junction) and went underneath him before getting back to lane 1. Maybe wrong I know but why should I move out 2 or 3 lanes to have to site behind him?
    He then sat there in lane 4 with a queue of Audis, Mercs and Beemers getting frustrated behind him!

He left at J27, 3 miles further up the road, in the same fashion – cutting across all 4 empty lanes at the last second!
    F*ckin Idiot

Thing is when you drive proper and pull back in, when you then pull out to overtake the next car or lorry the guy behind thats sat there at similar speed to you will quite often make weaving gestures with his arms as though its you thats at fault!

Dickyboy

just like shooting fish in a barrel 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

🙂

scuttler

That's the only problem with the M1 widening between 25 and 28. Instead of effectively using 66% of available lane space these f$£!ing morons now use 75%.

There's no hope of them reading the matrix signs. Have you seen the glazed looks / thousand yard stares as you pass?

cookeaa

Excellent “Trollage” OP!

I've found I'm much happy now I've decided to not let little things bother me, I'm sure that sometimes middle lane hoggers are a menace, but generally only because people start driving like utter femalefrontbottoms whenever they come across them instead of concentrating on what they are doing.

+1

If other peoples Bad (but not deadly) driving bothers you that much you have far too few real problems in your life, I used to get very worked up about the odd fleeting mistakes made by others (because, of course, my own road craft is faultless), but once you make the decision to just let these things slide your life becomes a lot less fraught…

Bimbling dickhead in the middle lane? There’s still another overtaking lane if you need to get past him/her, then just move on, why start harassing someone who’s obviously not on the ball to begin with, you’re only putting yourself and them at further risk…

DezB
    Free Member

Flashing headlights at them to move over is a better option to taking them on the inside or cutting across their bumper.

You reckon they're using their mirrors?? 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

M1 round these parts has just (finally) opened as a 4 lane section
    Went up from J25 to 28 on Saturday. despite it being almost completely empty most people where sat in lane 3 of 4

I've seen this too. Amazing isn't it.

I'm sure it's because they don't want to be in the "slow lanes".

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes we have a 4 lane section where two motorways merge and the outside two lanes are full of people doing 40-50 mph nose to tail. You can do 70 mph on the empty inside lane as it is totally empty.

IainAhh
    Free Member

I used to drive up and down the country a lot.

And took great delight (and very immature behaviour) on the M6 going north on the fast part past the lakes of driving right up the arse of middle lane hoggers flashing like mad before sweeping past them at 20mph + what they were doing. Only to note that they still didn't pull in.

Probably very childish and poor driving on my part but put a smile on my face on a very long journey.

iain1775
    Free Member

And took great delight (and very immature behaviour) on the M6 going north on the fast part past the lakes of driving right up the arse of middle lane hoggers flashing like mad before sweeping past them at 20mph + what they were doing. Only to note that they still didn't pull in.

Probably very childish and poor driving on my part but put a smile on my face on a very long journey.

I saw someone do that on the same section of the M6 once (just before Penrith)
    When the car took off after them at speed I thought it was just an angry driver and thought I would keep well back from them both but a mile down the road I saw them both on the hard shoulder with the cars rear window lit up like a christmas tree – turned out the car they did it to was an unmarked police car
    Now that put a smile on my face on a very long journey 😆

IainAhh
    Free Member

good one !

still should have been in the left lane though .. ho ho

Junkyard
    Free Member

entrapment by the lods IMHO

GrahamS

I was thinking about the previous rambling thread on this just the other day and I came to the conclusion that there are probably more outside lane hoggers, that get on the motorway, move to the outside, engage the cruise control at 90mph+, and then get on with preparing the morning's meeting or idly fantasising about Angela from Accounts.

iain1775
    Free Member

speaking of entrapement – another ocasion on M1 the outside lane was rammed as usual and middle lane empty. I pulled back into middle lane as I was coming off at next junction in half mile as I was about to pull over to inside lane to exit an unmarked police car swerved out of outside lane infront of me with police stop sign illuminated
    I followed them onto slip road and he asked me what I was playing at. He didnt believe me when I said I was preparing to exit the motorway, reckoned I was going to cut back over to outside lane and was attempting an undertake him to save time
    His face when I pointed to our office right next to the motorway and showed him my company ID badge and said – Im off to work just there was priceless "Well dont try it again" before speeding off, straight out without looking at the roundabout!!
    Try what again? Going to work?!

DezB
    Free Member

Mmmmm Angela from Accounts………… 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is good advice should have asked for a note to give to your boss

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Middle lane hoggers.’ is closed to new replies.