Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Middle Class guardian reading, howies buying, organic carrot eating..DO Lectures
  • Joe

http://www.thedolectures.co.uk/speakers/

WHAT?!? COME AGAIN.

I got an email from Howies today advertising an event/promoting an event where 20 speakers are talking. It looked really good and they were advertising a free ticket in one of their t-shirts. 'Value £1000'. I thought this was a typo.

£1000!?!?!?!? What? huh!? Come again.

People are willing to spend a GRAND on a festival with a load of unknown speakers? Ok they are interesting people…Alastair Humphreys for instance, terribly nice bloke, interesting and well worth litening to…but hes hardly a global celebrity.

This is another example of howies and their friends being COMPLETELY out of touch with this planet. How on earth are mere mortals ever likely to be able to even think about affording an event like this. Nonsense.

Take me off your mailing list Howies…you really are a bunch of tossers.

Joe

oops…wrong forum

noteeth
    Free Member

£1000?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Incredible.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Another way of looking at the ticket price is that by paying for one you have helped us give the talks away for free.

i'm gonna need a whole load of wee and at least 8 sets of bombers.

who's in

simon_g

Depends what you're into I guess. I (or rather my company) are spending over £1600 + flights + hotel for me to go to TechEd to listen to people talk about Microsoft stuff for a week.

But yes, a grand to go to wales to hear that lot speak sounds nuts.

noteeth
    Free Member

at least 8 sets of bombers

Methinks that only Marzocchi's entire factory output will suffice.

It can't be real, can it? Surely it's a plot device for an episode of Peep Show?

Gilles

what's wrong with eating carrot? that will be the first lecture

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

read the speaker introductions. I suggest you lock up all weapons withing reach before hand.

Tim Birkhead

Author of ‘The Wisdom of Birds‘

Tim believes we can learn a lot from birds. Fortunately for us he will be migrating West in early September.

BigDummy
    Free Member

People who want to go and have £1,000 will spend £1,000. People who want to hear the lectures but do not have £1,000 will get them for free. So it a mixture of paying for something you want and donating to a vaguely worthwhile cause. As the people likely to be interested in attending a conference organised by Howies may be altruists, or at least dedicated greenwashers, I suspect enough of them will not mind ponying up. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Solution = don't go.

MrAgreeable

If you compare it to a business conference it's not that expensive. However if you take the view that it is aimed at members of the general public who want to change the world then it is hilariously overpriced.

I've been to similar events over the past year that cost tuppence ha'penny in comparison. e.g. a talk on energy efficient housing – free. A presentation on building homes from naturally available materials like earth and straw – fiver. A talk by a guy who cycled round the world (not Alastair Humphries, a mate of his) – tenner. I think Howies are basically subsidising their B&B business.

Having said that you don't have to go, and you can watch the lectures online for free.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

So it a mixture of paying for something you want and donating to a vaguely worthwhile cause

ah the middle class form of charitable donation. Altruism that gives back 😉

nickc

Your Do Lectures ticket will include:
    All Lectures
    All workshops
    All accommodation (Fforest Farm West Wales – http://www.coldatnight.co.uk).
    All food and drink.
    All music.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Middle Class guardian reading, howies buying, organic carrot eating..DO Lectures’ is closed to new replies.