Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Middle class alcohol abuse
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Genuine concern or a summer news story, I have a very good friend who has an alcohol problem, he fits the description to a tee. Have mentioned it to others and they agree he drinks to much but don’t see it as a problem.

I dont drink but a lot of my friends don’t consider it a good weekend unless they have been bladdered. All over 45.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wondered the same. Also wondered what the point/newsworthiness of it was.

More info here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/23/harmful-drinking-among-middle-class-over-50s-is-a-hidden-phenomenon

binners

As long as it’s wine of an acceptable standard then it isn’t alcoholism.

Chin chin daaaaahling

edward2000
    Free Member

My colleague, a similar age to me (30) once introduced himself as a drinker – ‘all i do at the weekends is drink’

i dont know if he was trying to impress but… each to their own!

He ‘bullies’ me for ‘rolling down hills’

gobuchul
    Free Member

They found that those who were wealthier, better educated and whose children had left home were more likely to drink to harmful levels – more than 21 units (nine pints of beer) a week for men and more than 14 units (one and a half bottles of wine) for women.

A typical Daily Wail scare story.

The drinking limits were just picked out of the air by some medical committee and there is no real evidence that 9 pints of beer a week is harmful.

Personally, I think nearly all of my friends and colleagues drink far in excess of that.

martinhutch

Binners relaxing of a weekend:

footflaps

As long as it’s wine of an acceptable standard then it isn’t alcoholism.

Yep, anything over £30 a bottle doesn’t count.

jimster01

Must be a “no-news” day,IIRC this story is rolled out every couple of months.

I must admit I am partial to a glass or two of wine whilst preparing tea.

binners

Steph and Dom are actually what I aspire too 😀

They found that those who were wealthier, better educated and whose children had left home were more likely to drink to harmful levels – more than 21 units (nine pints of beer) a week for men and more than 14 units (one and a half bottles of wine) for women.

You do realise that those ‘Harmful Levels’ figures were just plucked out of the air, in a Johnny ball ‘Think of a Number’ style, and are based on absolutely nothing?

Yet the government like to quote them as if they were passed down from God on tablets of marble.

noltae
    Free Member

The Guardian article suggests alcoholism in the 50 plus middle class demographic is a hidden problem – seems pretty in your face if you ask me ..

irc

Iparraguirre found that reporting better health and higher educational attainment were positively associated with an increased risk of harmful drinking. “Because this group is typically healthier than other parts of the older population, they might not realise that what they are doing is putting their health in danger,” he said.

So those who drink more are healthier? Or maybe the limits are bullshit. Moderate drinking somewhat beyond the “limits” isn’t really risky compared to other factors like stress, smoking, flab, and lack of exercise.

A teetotal couch potato on 20 fags a day needs to worry. A couple of malts after dinner not so much.

martinhutch

Moderate drinking somewhat beyond the “limits” isn’t really risky compared to other factors like stress, smoking, flab, and lack of exercise.

You complain about the lack of evidence for official limits and then make an evidence-free statement yourself.

The recent relative cheapness and social acceptance of regular alcohol consumption in our society is already thought to have contributed to a spike in liver cirrhosis at the very sharp end of alcohol users. We don’t yet know the full impact, particularly among women, of a more moderate rise in consumption.

Naturally, people tend to place more weight on health advice that mirrors their own lifestyle.

irc

Sorry. Thought the benefits of not smoking and taking at least moderate exercise were fairly well proven. I stand corrected.

globalti
    Free Member

I would agree that for people who need help relaxing, a couple of beers or glasses of wine a day probably do more good than harm. When I’m on business trips to Africa the daily stress of a city like Lagos is easily moderated with a couple of beers, especially as the Nigerians do brew some excellent lagers, certainly more characterful than the Europiss that gets served up in Britain.

When I get back from a two-week trip though I find I have to resist the urge for that after-work beer. The flab that has built up during two weeks of beer and hotel food and zero exercise soon disappears when I get back to my usual pattern of occasional, irregular drinks and plenty of cycling.

simon_g

My parents used to fit into that to some extent – more free cash and a less hectic home life as kids grow up and leave. Can see how easy it is to slide into drinking rather a lot.

Used to have a bottle of wine as a treat on Friday and/or Saturday. That starts to creep up to most nights, then every night. Then as you’ve had a couple of glasses while cooking dinner, you run out so open another bottle. Maybe a G&T or two before dinner, maybe a (definitely not pub measure) whiskey or brandy after. Quite easy to creep up to 60-70 units a week if you’re routinely drinking every night.

They’ve cut down quite a lot now, keep it to weekend and maybe one midweek day.

MoreCashThanDash

I go out and get drunk – only 3-4 pints of 4-6% beer – once a month. I feel a bit ropey the next morning.

Once a week I’ll have a couple of beers. I feel thirsty the next morning.

A lot of friends and colleagues think I’m a wimp?

martinhutch

Sorry. Thought the benefits of not smoking and taking at least moderate exercise were fairly well proven. I stand corrected.

So are the disadvantages of drinking more than moderate levels of alcohol. Your statement that the risks of more than moderate drinking aren’t very high compared with the effects of ‘stress’, ‘flab’, ‘lack of exercise’ probably needs some more evidence, doesn’t it?

The statement that the 1987 guidelines weren’t evidence-based was fair enough at the time, but people still trot it out now even though more recent studies consistently point towards a linear relationship between mortality risk and alcohol consumption (above moderate levels).

Mister-P
    Free Member

That can’t be Binners, where are the coke and hookers?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s a “hidden problem”, in that it falls far short of most people’s definition of a problem.

🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member

I go out and get drunk – only 3-4 pints of 4-6% beer – once a month. I feel a bit ropey the next morning.

Once a week I’ll have a couple of beers. I feel thirsty the next morning.

I go out and get drunk maybe twice a year, I don’t really like to, there’s a million things I’d rather do than spend a day feeling sick and I get terrible hangovers, partly I think because, like you I’m pretty drunk on 3 drinks, but I seem to be able to carry on for half a dozen more, I shudder thinking about it…

Yeah I lot of my work mates think I’m a wimp too, but I don’t care. If it bothered me I suppose I could call them wimps for not going on 2 days booze, coke and pills benders and still turning up for work on Monday – I did a lot of those in the 2000s.

Sober and riding/playing with my kids/walking with my wife – enjoying my life is a million times better than harming yourself for the chance of spending a few hours forgetting how unhappy you are.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

globalti, just get on the khat next time you are there. No more flab.

MrSmith
    Free Member

thats several hundred years of socially acceptable alcohol abuse and the attitudes that come with it.
    this country has a huge problem with alcohol to the extent that moderate drinking is seen as the that of an outlier and not to be encouraged. “eatings cheating”, shots/drinking games. loading up before ‘hitting the booze’ etc etc.
    much like the attitude to cycling in this country it will take many decades for this insular and backward looking behaviour to change.

BigDummy
    Free Member

it will take many decades for this insular and backward looking behaviour to change.

I reckon legal weed may be the cheat-code. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Thats several hundred years of socially acceptable alcohol abuse and the attitudes that come with it.
    this country has a huge problem with alcohol to the extent that moderate drinking is seen as the that of an outlier and not to be encouraged. “eatings cheating”, shots/drinking games. loading up before ‘hitting the booze’ etc etc.
    much like the attitude to cycling in this country it will take many decades for this insular and backward looking behaviour to change.

Spot on. How often do you hear people boasting about how much they drank, how much they mixed their drinks and how smashed they were? This British irresponsibility towards alcohol is costing the country millions and I think it gets worse the further north you go; in fact I’d be willing to bet that in Scotland 8 out of 10 people are out of their heads most evenings.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are joking?

binners

and I think it gets worse the further north you go; in fact I’d be willing to bet that in Scotland 8 out of 10 people are out of their heads most evenings.

Probably…..

😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Anyone fancy a pint?

binners

I was just thinking that the pubs are open shortly. I started a few hours ago though…

badnewz
    Free Member

As a Camra man, I receive the regular Camra newsletter, which is often fronted with a news article listing the health benefits of beer.
    The rest of the newsletter is obituaries, mind.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Spot on. How often do you hear people boasting about how much they drank, how much they mixed their drinks and how smashed they were? This British irresponsibility towards alcohol is costing the country millions and I think it gets worse the further north you go; in fact I’d be willing to bet that in Scotland 8 out of 10 people are out of their heads most evenings.

I would wager that it’s actually saving the state money. Smokers, drinkers, overeaters, and those of a similarly debauched lifestyle tend to peg out early, saving billions in pensions, health care, and social welfare.
    In the short term they may cost the taxpayer but that’s offset to some extent by the extra taxes they pay. In the long term it’s the prebyterian fitness junkies who are going to cost us!

lunge

I can see this, it’s very easy to do, glass or 2 of wine ever night, maybe a Scotch or 2 as well. Friday comes, bottle of wine, maybe a G&T, same Saturday, plus a couple of beers, then another bottle over Sunday lunch. Not the excess most people think of but a sizeable amount nonetheless.

I had a feeling I was slipping into this habit a few years ago when I was having a couple of bottles of beer very night and cut back, I’ll have a beer or 2 most weekends but drinking every night is a dangerous game IMO.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I am partial to a glass or two of wine whilst preparing breakfast.

FTFY

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Alcohol is a losers game in my opinion. if it was discovered today it would be a class A drug.

My best mates grandpa (who for the record was a self made multi millionaire) sat us down before Uni and told that ‘alcohol will destroy your life in incredibly subtle ways. You don’t need to be an alcoholic to let it chip away at you’. We both thought ‘whatever, we’re 18 and know it all’ despite not actually having done anything in life!! Fast forward 20 years and the chap was right, i have seen people lose jobs, relationships, friendships, lose their bite, lose their enthusiasm and 99% of the time alcohol has been the underlying cause.

I have a beer every now and again, but haven’t got stuck in for about 8 years and i feel like a different person for not touching it. I’d rather hangover free and out in the hills fresh and early…..

To some of my mates, i seem like i’ve just landed in a UFO!! 🙂

Each to their own and all that!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I would agree that for people who need help relaxing, a couple of beers or glasses of wine a day probably do more good than harm. When I’m on business trips to Africa the daily stress of a city like Lagos is easily moderated with a couple of beers, especially as the Nigerians do brew some excellent lagers, certainly more characterful than the Europiss that gets served up in Britain.

It was too many Bottles of Star (Nigerian Breweries) that convinced me sobriety was the only way. Lagos with a hangover is Hells waiting room 🙁

binners

I’ve always maintained that far from being demonised by the health nazi’s, us unhealthy bastards should be thanked for our disproportinate tax contributions, and our selflessly suicidal habits, that will lead to us costing the state a mere short hospital stay while the inevitable takes its toll.

But we’ll have the last laugh when you’re all sat in Sunset Meadows Home for the terminally bewildered in a big nappy, stinking of piss, and boring everyone rigid about coming here when it was all fields. Muhahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! 😀

martinhutch

unset Meadows Home for the terminally bewildered in a big nappy, stinking of piss,

Sounds like my local Wetherspoons.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Key messages
    Healthcare and pension costs are lower for smokers than non-smokers, the overall difference being more than 100?000 euros per individual.

From a Finnish survey on smoking costs to the state.
    Smoking, not drinking, but still the Devil’s own work…

binners

Sounds like my local Wetherspoons.

Yes, but theyr’re bewildered and happy…

MrSmith
    Free Member

no mention of the ‘human’ cost such as the effects on others be it family, work colleagues or the people you kill when you drive after ‘just a couple at lunchtime’

binners

no mention of the ‘human’ cost such as the effects on others be it family, work colleagues or the people you kill when you drive after ‘just a couple at lunchtime’

Yeah, cos everyone who drinks more than the recommended daily limit immediately heads out in their car to mow down pedestrians.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwEpq3skueI[/video]

Dear God, sometimes the lazy, sanctimonious, self-righteous, puritanical, judgemental, superior, middle class, Daily Mail-esque bleating on here really defies beief!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Middle class alcohol abuse’ is closed to new replies.