Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Middle chainring / Orange 5 compatibility
  • specializedneeds

Thinking of loosing the outer chainring to try a 2×9 setup. Can you run a 36T or 34T middle ring on a standard triple chainset on the five? The 32T I have currently seems awfully close to the swing arm pivot already and there are obvious signs of chain damage – could be from the previous owner running a different size middle ring?

No email address on the Orange website and I’d prefer not to call from Oz unless I have to.
    Thanks

jam-bo

36t needs the chainline moving out, I’ve got the gouges to prove it. Swap the spacers around on the Bottom bracket.

lcj

36t in the middle ring worked fine for me on standard spacing with a 2010 frame. It caught on the swingarm occasionally when in a workstand but once you factor in sag theres no problem in my experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hugh_b
    Free Member

I run a 2010 five frame, size medium with a 36th middle ring and xt cranks with a gamut fitted and the clearance is fine, close but never had any problems.

Hugh

jam-bo

This is on a 2006 frame. I guess they have modified it to give clearance.

specializedneeds

Yes, mine is 2005 so very similar, if not identical in this area. A single ring could be fine, my concern is changing to/from the granny. Only have one BB spacer on the drive side (73mm BB) so not following you there? Maybe I could get away with adding a second one on the drive side?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Middle chainring / Orange 5 compatibility’ is closed to new replies.