Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Middle chain rings
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Surprised to find my middle ring has worn out so soon. Complete new drive on there last year. Chain is still fine, not showing any wear of note. Normally, I'll get a couple of chains, maybe more per casette and usually one and a half to two cassettes per middle ring. This time, the middle ring seems to have melted away in no time. For those who might be interested, it's part of a set of RaceFace shift set rings.

Now I'm looking for an alternative. However, as I found last night, the fact that I still use 5 bolt CD cranks seems to limit my choices somewhat. I find myself wishing Onza were still around to make the Buzzsaw rings.

Anyway, I tried a set of middleburns before but they sucked (literally) from new. Blackspire have been reasonable in the past but they only make black. Would try a steel deore but they're only 4 bolt.

Currently looking at a TA ring. Anything else worth considering?

RealMan
    Free Member

I guess you're running a triple? With a triple, you spend like 90% in the middle ring, so it wears quick. If you go for a double, you will be spending about 50% in each ring, so they will wear evenly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, tripple. Riding in the peaks, I really don't want to surrender that 34/22 bottom gear!

RealMan
    Free Member

You could go 24-38 on the front, and keep the 11-34 cassette?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I think I have a brand new 32t shimano deore steel ring (still in packet) for 5 bolt 94mm bcd. Can have a look tonight if you are interested? I bought it as a spare but never used it as I went to a 22/36 set up instead.

I think it's steel anyway, it looks kinda pressed if you know what I mean.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That would be useful if it is steel, cheers restless.

mangatank
    Free Member

Depends on the ratio selected. I tackled savage stuff on a daily basis several years ago on a Middleburn Duo. I didn't miss the three rings as the range covered everything I needed. The only downside was the chainline for the frame I was using at the time.

coopersport1
    Free Member

RaceFace says it all! I had a RF BB lasted 150miles and the middlering was made of cheese and only made it about 500miles. I however have been on Middleburn ever since and love them no probs to report.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, was it just a spate of middleburn rings that chain sucked from new? It was the slickshift hardcoat ones as well. Seems to remember a few people suffered around the same time.

By the way, I'm perfectly happy with a tripple and plan to continue with it.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I've heard of the chainsuck issues and I run standard inner and big ring for colour match reasons! and a hardcoat slickshift middle ring. Only time I had probs was when the chainring bolts worked loose! 😳
    Other than that my middlering is coming up for 2500 miles and only now starting to think it might need replacing in the next 1000 or so miles! They're not the lightest but I rate them

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone used the Tune titanium rings?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Will have a look tonight, have moved house twice and emigrated once but I am pretty sure I know where it is!

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Found it, it's a Shimano pressed steel, 32t, 5 bolt, 94mm bcd, Deore lx, still in packet, silver colour

If you want it then just make a suitable donation to a cancer charity and I'll post it on

let me know

smcfarlane at gmail dot com

Onzadog
    Free Member

YGM,

cheers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

RestlessNative,

Big thank you mate. Sounds like the chainring has just turned up at the wife's place of work.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

ah good, I hope you will be very happy together 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can't promise it will be happier but I know it will be longer!

DickBarton

I've found the Middleburn hardcote rings are very very good…shifting isn't quite as smooth but they last forever compared to the competition. I've no issue with the shifting on them but it isn't as smooth as the likes of Middleburn Slickshift or the Shimano equivalent.

If you were trying the new chain ring with an old chain then chainsuck could well be an issue as the new ring isn't worn and the chain won't sit right and give you problems.

njee20
    Free Member

If you go for a double, you will be spending about 50% in each ring, so they will wear evenly.

That's just not even remotely true! I reckon I spend about 90% of the time in my outer ring, to the extent that it's rather dead after about 6 months use, whilst the inner has no signs of wear at all!

Back OT the Deore was a good choice, well done! Never got the hype around Middleburn rings myself, don't seem to last that well or shift that well!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

"If you go for a double, you will be spending about 50% in each ring, so they will wear evenly."

Ummmm no, my granny see's about 5% of wear at the most, maybe less depending where I am. I hate shifting at the front

I use a Blackspire super pro 36 and stainless 22 on my middleburn cranks, really rate blackspire rings, last well and take a beating so the bash has been removed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on whether or not you have a dedicated double set-up like a Middleburn XC Duo, or a triple with the big ring removed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Middle chain rings’ is closed to new replies.