Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Middle aged men – what do you wear?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Im only half joking as Im writing this but now that Im a sad old git Ive suddenly realised that I dress like one too, which is fine but I have a few social functions coming up were Levis coupled with a selection of Decathlon tops just wont cut it – and Im serious

The jeans and T shirt look is fine so far, Im in pretty good shape being a cyclist, and I can also scrub up and get into the only suit I own which looks OK too, its just the bits in between where I struggle – too posh for jeans but not stuffy enough for a suit

Whenever I try stuff on in M&S or Next I just look like Alan Partridge
    Places like Hugo Boss look interesting but Id rather spend that sort of cash on bike stuff

So STW old farts – where do you do your clothes shopping?
    Im fairly sure for most like me it will be Decathlon and CRC/Endura 🙂

Cheers

badnewz
    Free Member

I used Massimo Dutti quite a bit, good styling without the Armani prices.

Harry_the_Spider

Today I will be mostly wearing…
    Merrell trainers (North Face shop)
    Yellow Levis (cheap from Sports Direct)
    Black T shirt with the silhouette of a Storm Trooper’s helmet printed on it(T’internet)
    Black lightweight fleece (M&S)

Shirts, trousers, suit, undies, sock all from M&S, shoes from Clarks. Always. Mostly because I can’t be arsed looking anywhere else.

I am 46.
    And extremely cool 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

And extremely cool

And incapable of reading…. 😉

its just the bits in between where I struggle – too posh for jeans but not stuffy enough for a suit

scotroutes

Dark coloured “combat” trousers mostly fill that gap for me. Not too many pockets though and steer away from those with baggy, laced legs.

aP
    Free Member

Universal Works for casual and reasonably smart t-shirts, trousers, suits, waistcoats
    Agnés b for t-shirts, shirts, suits, jackets, trousers and jeans
    Cos for shirts
    Nicole Farhi for tailored trousers
    I went through a period of the Kooples, but have come to the opinion that it’s too expensive for what it is

Harry_the_Spider

And incapable of reading….

There is no bit between jeans and posh. Just better jeans worn with ankle boots. From Clarks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[NOT MIDDLE AGED YET]

but you know where it’s at just give in and throw that M&S jumper over your shoulders

flap_jack
    Free Member

Whenever I try stuff on in M&S or Next I just look like Alan Partridge

One of the reasons that Partridge was such a brilliant comic creation. You can’t escape it. Embrace it.

I’m starting to wonder if tattoos are the only way to subvert it, but I suspect that’s not what you’re after…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just better jeans worn with ankle boots.

BillMC

Having spent a working life in suits I am now generally found in

Carhartt carpenter’s jeans
    French or German chore coat
    Shirts from Tyrwhitt, Duchamp, Paul Costelloe, Hawes and Curtice
    Timberland walking boots or shoes from Northamptonshire

Fifty nine and fully functional

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey this thread is funny.

M&S…really? Style suicide.

Easy to get some nice shirts and trousers from TK, gap, H&M.

allfankledup

Crocs

But not outside the house 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Uniqlo seem to have kit for every occasion.
    And their Selvedge jeans are great, granted, that won’t interest you, but worth having a look..

convert

There is no bit between jeans and posh. Just better jeans worn with ankle boots. From Clarks.

To be fair I sort of see your point. There is the whole world of chinoesque but it’s somewhere I try to avoid. I do find myself doing the v posh jeans (Ted Baker or similar that are cut a bit more like a trouser than a jean) and plain untucked shirt (actual shirt not polo or T )and a jacket. The shirt and jacket bit making up for the less sartorial below the waistline bit. But then I look in the mirror, see a scaled up balding version of the little one from Top Gear and want to punch myself in the face.

ourmaninthenorth

These days jeans are the thread joining between casual and smart(er).

Some decent jeans*, leather shoes, shirt (tucked in Convert!) will go pretty far. Add a jacket, and you’re good for a range of scenarios.

*the difference between this and top gear is in the quality and cut of the jeans. In fact, with all of the above the cut is the most important differential between looking good for one’s age and Norwich’s finest unemployable radio DJ….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 5″ and 80kg so very few brands make any clothes that actually fit me – none of those brands Andrew lists….. Proper fit makes more difference than anything in my opinion. Try and find some brands that fit your build.

Nothing wrong with M&S if you buy simple good quality classics rather than trying to buy fashion. Their suits and jackets can be good and some of the knitwear. Uniqlo knitwear is a steal as well

Jeans and trousers again worry less about the brand and more about the cut and fit. Saggy arsed jeans will look a mess even if the say Armani on the label. Eg Levi’s look shit on me – skinny stuff won’t clear my cyclists thighs, 501s don’t fit waist/arse but G-Star work (but have to search of stuff that isn’t over designed)

These chinos look good http://spoke-london.com/collections/original-spokes

Shirts – again fit is 90% of it (and untucked is always going to look Top Gear). M&S made to measure is excellent and you can strip down the design and lose all the plackets to get a smart modern slim fit shirt.
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/s/men/made-to-measure-shirts

convert

tucked in Convert!

No – can’t do that! Tucked in shirt and no tie and I think the look says ‘accountant removing tie trying to fit in’. And that’s worse than looking like a hamster. Finding a shirt that looks good untucked is hard though – it must be slim fitting and the tails of the shirt rounded and be only a 2 or 3 inches longer than the top of the jean. Your average shirt designed to wear with a tie worn without and untucked but with a jacket won’t cut it. In my opinion of course 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m 52 and rarely accused of being a fashion victim 😳 The wife does her best to try and smarten me up a bit some thoughts brands. I’d say I have a bit of a country look

Nice jeans (eg Boss in Black) plus polo shirts or other smart casual shirts is a cut above blue jeans and decathlon. I like Gant and Banana Republic too.
    I have a couple of casual jackets from Boden
    For summer/autumn a few pairs of chinos in different colours and weights
    Some decent shoes smarten up everything inc jeans, eg short jodpur / riding boots or even smarter “work shoes” you would wear with your suit. I like Russell and Bromley

kcal

Work wise I work at home so its outdoor style trousers usually. Meetings it’ll be a pair of lightweight chinos or similar, smart shoes. Even a pair of decent 501s (black) is probably just about OK depending on client.

Sports jacket maybe, or anonymous jacket of some kind. My boss gets away with outrageous Barbours, housecoats and the like but I couldn’t carry that off.

Shirts – M&S or couple of better ones, YSL or Paul Smith (occasionally). Ties sometimes but not comedy ones.

tang
    Free Member

Uniqlo, not expensive and not bad design.

colournoise

There is no gap between casual and suit. If I can’t ‘get in’ wearing shorts or combats with a t-shirt or the full suit & boot I don’t want to be there.

That said, I do own one pair of narrow legged not-quite-chino type trousers (black of course) to wear with my patent DMs as I can’t quite pull off the shorts and boots look any more.

flap_jack
    Free Member

You wouldn’t look like Alan Partridge in this lot.

MartynS

I like fat face stuff.
    If it’s not a jeans and t shirt do, then it’s smart jeans and a polo top. I have quite a few fat face polo tops….
    They are expensive but last aaaagggggeeeessssss…. So it appeals to a style free tightwad like myself.

41 (just) and even cooler.than Harry T spider….

RustyNissanPrairie

Diesel for jeans (Costco), Ted Baker for anything else. Well made stuff that lasts well.
    I’m a lanky 6’6″ and their #5 shirts fit great, same with their pants. Try a Ted Baker waistcoat with a nice shirt and some decent jeans. Leather Vans or again Ted Baker shoes.
    Glasses by Starck or Alain Mikli

Aged 43 and still getting the (V.K.’s)

qwerty
    Free Member
    badllama
    Free Member

Im 43 and my usual wares are jeans and either northface or superdry t-shirt with scruffy karrimor trainers or timberland boots.
    Now and again if out in the evening with the mrs ill wear a short sleaved shirt but thats it Very rarly go any whhere that requires to be dressed beyond this.
    When its cold ill add a fatface huddie it has to be bloody cold before i wear any sort of coat.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Universal Works for casual and reasonably smart t-shirts, trousers, suits, waistcoats
    Agnés b for t-shirts, shirts, suits, jackets, trousers and jeans
    Cos for shirts
    Nicole Farhi for tailored trousers
    I went through a period of the Kooples, but have come to the opinion that it’s too expensive for what it is

I read your post and for a second I thought I had written that but not heard of Cos shirts so I wasn’t me. Big fan of universal works especially the suits as they are unstructured so smart but not super-smart so can wear with anything, and if theirs and Farhi cuts fit you then have a look at whistles menswear, I have a slim waist and reasonably wide shoulders so a lot of stuff cut for the 21st century obese shape doesn’t fit but those brands do.

I find mixing up expensive and cheap works for me, everyday shirts from muji and uniqlo (and their jumpers) with high quality shoes (trickers) and proper denim (raw selvage) and coats jackets (private white, Wolsey etc) If I want to treat myself then APC, Albam, Folk, Farhi Etc.
    If you don’t have the budget then then big stores own brands still offer good value and it’s not difficult to stop looking like your mum dresses you or a middle aged man wearing teenagers clothes (why do they do that?)
    I like the greyfoxblog mainly to find different brands

thefettler
    Free Member

Ha ! at 48, I practice outcome independence ie (I don’t give a ****)
    Mix between tech outdoor apparel M/C gear and high vis :mrgreen:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

On body:

Shorts and cotton tees or button-shirts in summer. Will roll sleeves of shirt up if too hot.

Long trousers/jeans/etc and tees with jackets in winter

Jumpers if freezing cold

Swimming shorts in the pool

On feet:

slip-ons indoors or camping holidays

Walking boots or cross trainers if navigating terrain or tarmac

On Head:

I wear hats with brims or peaks in bright sun or woolly ones in freezing winds etc

Workwear:

Painting – old clothes
    Photography – outdoor clothes as above
    Manual labour – old clothes

grey

I’m 43 and don’t own a pair of jeans, is there something wrong with me 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

convert – Member
    No – can’t do that! Tucked in shirt and no tie and I think the look says ‘accountant removing tie trying to fit in’. And that’s worse than looking like a hamster

I hate tucked in shirts and hate ties. Even at work. I generally refuse to wear an office uniform when there isn’t a uniform but all the blokes dress the same.

I’m also with Richard Branson on his opinion on ties. Though I don’t go around with scissors cutting other people’s ties off, but do feel like it sometimes 😀

Tucked in shirts and shorts are even worse.

Doesn’t help when you have a bit of a belly though. Tucked in shirt makes you the office fat bloke.

Thankfully I’m at an age and working as a contractor and the software industry I’m in, where I can even get away with the casual look for getting work. I don’t call it an interview as often it’s informal chat with someone I probably know. Could even be at a coffee shop. And that’s another hate of mine… interviews at coffee shops where the candidate wears a suit and tie!

cheekyget
    Free Member

What age is considered middle aged these days ??….I’m 43 and I don’t feel like I’ve reached half way yet??

jambalaya
    Free Member

40 is definitely middle aged, mid 30’s still young-ish in my opinion. I wouldn’t say 60 is old but it’s getting close.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

(I forgot) evening wear:

A few drops of brown sauce/gravy/chilli/curry/grease that somehow missed being caught by mouth, beard and tits on its way south, only to land on shirt somewhere above where (if remember correctly) my navel resides.

convert

I’m 43 and I don’t feel like I’ve reached half way yet??

Well you are statistically unlikely to make it past 86 so you probably are!

However we (I’m the same age) have only had 25 years of adulthood so you might have a few years to go to get to the middle years of adult life.

colp

Diesel for jeans (Costco)

The problem is that they only ever have size 22 leg, 56 waist.

crankboy
    Free Member

Age 49 wears jeans Howie’s or whatever does not look like it was designed for teenagers from tkmax , t shirt , casual shirt over top . fleece . craghoppers kiwis . trainers .north face rain jacket.
    Smart is as above but clean .
    Very smart is my dads old suit sort of field green with shirt and tie and brown trainers .
    I am Dadcore.
    On point of bitter principal I refuse to shop in m and s for clothes and won’t even enter Next.

Coyote
    Free Member

Summer – Fat Face shorts and a variety of t-shirts, shirts etc. Vans almost exclusively as footwear unless really sunny then flip-flops etc.

Winter – Jeans (River Island, Next, Mek etc.) Variety of shirts, jumpers, hoodies etc. Vans almost exclusively as footwear unless really wet then boots.

#edit – 40 middle aged? Bollocks. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

#edit2 – I have instructed several people that if I am seen in M&S clothes shopping for myself then I am to be shot. No questions, just shoot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Middle aged men – what do you wear?’ is closed to new replies.