Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mid Wales riding.
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Got a couple of days in mid Wales. Probably somewhere around Builth Wells but not fixed. Where’s good for a not too epic ride? Happy to navigate or trail centre it. Might be heading up towards Nant yr Arian or Machynlleth on one day so happy to ride those areas although I have ridden around those bits before. What else is there to consider?

wallop

Cwm Rhaeadr is my favourite trail in England and Wales.

It’s short, but it’s totally full of win.

Rorschach
    Free Member

welshfarmer

Get a map and the world is your oyster round there. Could try heading up to the Elan Valley and taking in some of the excellent loops up there. Or head out to Radnor Forest or Hundred house and just hit the natural stuff on the hills round there. Far too many options to choose from.

welshfarmer

LOL posted exactly the same time 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

Cwm Rhaeadr is or will shortly be closed for forestry works.

drovercycles
    Free Member

^^ yep just get that map and you’re good to go – loads to explore.

nickjb
    Free Member

Was hoping for something a little more specific than look at a map, but thanks. Nipper, any idea on dates for that? Can’t find an active website.

wallop

Shut from 1st July but I can’t find out how long for. I hope it’s not permanent!

poey50
    Free Member

Brechfa Forest routes are not to be missed. Gorlech is special but so amazingly is the green / blue.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The sign says ‘a couple of months or so’ which is NRW/FC speak for ‘how long is a piece of string’.

Ambrose

The Tywi track, from the Devil’s Staircase to Strata Florida is probably my most favorite ride ever. I rode it yet again today, it never fails to impress.

faustus

Look up some of the trails around LLanwrtyd Wells, or head up to Rhayader, great riding there too. If you’re in Builth then you’d be driving a fair way (past lots of good riding) to get to a trail centre such as Nant or Brechfa, good though they are. There’s so much great natural riding to be had a lot closer…

chrispo
    Free Member

All good suggestions, but some, like Brechfa, are a long, long way away. I’d agree though that Cwm Rhaeadr is ace and the Tywi track in either direction (preferably both) is just the best fun.

For compact, fun riding nearby, though, with relatively easily navigable routes available online, I’d look at the Elan Valley.

Even better, get a guide to show you round. Always money well spent. Says the guide. Hint.

😉

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Ambrose good call I’ve only done it the other way i.e. Strata Florida to the Devil’s Staircase as part of a circular route starting from Rhayader.

Clive Powell has route cards in hsi shop in Rhayader so you should drop in there.

We were there last weekend and the ground is really good at the moment. We did Dyfi valley on the Fri afternoon, big loop from Rhayader on Sat, the Gap Road on Sun and Cwm Rhaeadr on Mon and it was all running really well especially Cwm Rhaeadr. HTH

cinnamon_girl

Monk’s Trod?

Speshpaul

Monks Trod er trod as in walking. did it last summer and its in a poor state. Whole sections just heather now no path.

Builth, search on garmin etc for the MTB Marathon route. Or call in at Cycletec.
    Elan?rhayader, lots of good routes on line.
    Brechfa is closer to Builth then Nant or Mach.
    Dyfi’s must do.

Ambrose

The Monk’s Trod is a foul abomination of a ‘route’. It has some sections that can be ridden but for the most part seems to be heather and/ or bog.

And yet I keep returning, only to be reminded just how beautiful it is there.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve walked some of Monk’s Trod, in pouring rain. It’s remote, it feels so far away from civilisation and, yes, beautiful. Am rather fond of mid-Wales, some happy memories. 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

The loop around Mynydd Mallaen is a real gem. Start/ finish at Cwm Rhaeadr car park.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/egPe93]james may 2013 021[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/egNuHU]james may 2013 029[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

Ambrose

Mynydd Mallaen is a bit churned at the moment in places, it looks like a motorbike event has passed through.

Don’t let that put you off though, it’s a wonderful place to be. Top Tip- do not go there in or after wet weather. Do not go there in poor visibility. Take a big load of good humour with you. And a camera.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Yep, take a map and compass.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mid Wales riding.’ is closed to new replies.