Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Mid to long travel 29 er list please.
  • Milkie
    Free Member

140mm is long travel 😯

I was going to suggest The Wreckoning, but that must Extra Long Travel with 160mm. 😉 😆

honourablegeorge

renton – Member
    I also have a 142 x12 rear wheel that narrows the choice down.

Very few 142 wheels that can’t be converted to QR, I’d have thought – waht kind of hub/wheel is it?

renton
    Free Member

It’s a specialized own hubbed wheel which I don’t think it changeable.

honourablegeorge

Specialized hubs tend to have DT Swiss internals, so a set of the right DT end caps will probably do the trick.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As per honourablegeorge, who I might add has still not posted anything significant about his fastforward; 142 and 135 are basically the same axle length and are usually easily converted between each other.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As per honourablegeorge, who I might add has still not posted anything significant about his fastforward; 142 and 135 are basically the same axle length and are usually easily converted between each other.

To add to that – 135mm is the space between dropouts on both set-ups. The difference is 142mm axles sit 3.5mm into the physical dropout of the bike. This means hubs – such as Hope Pro 2s – can easily be swapped between the two systems with a simple axle-end change as they use the same hub body and basic axle set-up.

This doesn’t work with Boost as the physical gap between the dropouts is wider than 135mm and the space taken up by the hub shell is larger (hence greater triangulation / dish of spokes and a stronger 29er wheel).

simon_g

Trek Stache, but before the current 29+ ones. Designed around 120mm forks, 51mm offset, 142×12 rear end, stealth dropper routing, etc.

I have one for sale but you’ll have to buy the rest of the bike too.

thepodge
    Free Member

120 is mid to long? I thought 120 was pretty much the minimum you could get these days.

renton
    Free Member

I have a 2014 specialized hilo hubbed wheeel from a stumpy evo.

Im pretty sure it cant be converted plus I like the idea of being able to swap it between frames without too much faff.

renton
    Free Member

Nukeproof Scout 290 frame is looking like the leader currently.

Clink

I had this – the Specialized own brand hubs can not be converted.

singlespeedstu

Sorry to crash the thread.
    Just emailed you George.
    Carry on. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    I’d be giving my money to Last right now if they had any large Fastforwards left.
    + another

PMJ.
    They are available for order again.
    Clear coat, large coming my way in November. 😀
    Free headset if you order before the end of July too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Stu, I seem to have a bit of a mental block with their website. Do you have a link?

mboy
    Free Member

I have a 2014 specialized hilo hubbed wheeel from a stumpy evo.

I wouldn’t let the incompatibility of a pretty crap quality hub, that’s not likely to last very long and then is going to be a PITA (from experience) to get spares for, cloud your judgement over what frame to get…

I’d be factoring in the cost of a quality rear hub that won’t limit your frame choice myself, such as Hope/DT Swiss etc.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Zealous Division ticks all the boxes. If I went hard tail that’s where I’d be,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let the incompatibility of a pretty crap quality hub, that’s not likely to last very long and then is going to be a PITA (from experience) to get spares for, cloud your judgement over what frame to get…

I’d be factoring in the cost of a quality rear hub that won’t limit your frame choice myself, such as Hope/DT Swiss etc.

This, very much this.

renton
    Free Member

Zealous division is out as cant run a front mech.

I appreciate what you say about the rear wheel and deep down I agree, however I already have a frame that has a 142 rear end so it would make sense to have a hardtail with a 142 rear end if I want to be able to use the same wheelset.

2 frames… 1 build.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Given that you say you want to commute and MTB as well, one wheelset makes zero sense. You’d be better with one frame and 2 wheelsets, one for commuting, one for MTBing.

thepodge
    Free Member

That blue is nice, not quite nice enough for me to give up what I already have but still very nice.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Renton – I’ve just checked the Specialized bike archive section of the website because I had a hunch that the 2014 Stumpy Evo Hi-Lo hubbed wheels you mention were 142mm+ spacing not regular 142x12mm and my hunch seems correct. In other words your 29’er wheels won’t fit any other non Specialized frames so be aware of that if this is a key element of your plans.

renton
    Free Member

This is what it says my rear hub is on the spesh website………

Specialized Hi Lo disc, 4x-sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 142mm spacing, 32h

a11y

Genesis High Latitude – (very) long, slack, 120mm, 142 rear, and the specced bike as standard is pretty good.

Really enjoying mine on the tame use it’s had so far.

a11y

And about the 142/142+ Spesh hubs, I swapped out the rear Spesh hub from my 2014 Enduro 29er as it wouldn’t fit another of my bikes. The + bit means it pushes the cassette further out and it fouled the dropout on a different bike. So yes, that might limit use.

My hub is listed as “Specialized Hi Lo disc, 4x-sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 142+ spacing, 32h”

renton
    Free Member

Im hoping that I may get lucky then as mine is only listed as 142 !

a11y

Aye, although I’d be surprised if Specialized had more than one variation of Hi Lo disc hub in one year. Fingers crossed though!

chiefgrooveguru

I have two bikes with two matching wheelsets and commute and MTB on both. The most pleasant one for the return (tarmac) leg of the commute is whichever happens to have the summer tyre wheelset (knobbly front, semi-slick rear). When the hardtail has the winter wheelset (cut spike front, knobbly rear) it feels a right drag going home compared to the full-sus (which has 30mm more front and 140mm rear squish plus 4lbs more weight) on the summer tyres.

renton
    Free Member

I wish i had the money to buy another bike but I dont really and a Stumpy Evo is a bit to much of a bike to commute on :mrgreen:

I can scrape enough together for a frame

nickc

That Last looks amazing! best looking 29er I’ve seen for a while

br
    Free Member

I wish i had the money to buy another bike but I dont really and a Stumpy Evo is a bit to much of a bike to commute on

I can scrape enough together for a frame

You can buy a commuter bike for a couple of hundred, do that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2nd hand commuter. I reckon if I sold my ridley cx bike right now, I’d be lucky to get 100-150 for it. But I know it’ll last me years yet.

Keep yer eyes peeled for a cheapo, IIRC you only commute about 2k anyway?.

renton
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not to far but I wouldn’t want to do it everyday on a full susser.

superstu
    Free Member

Do you need a 140mm 29 hardtail for a commute? Much more suitable and cheaper options available.

scotroutes

It’s a couple of 1.5 miles. He could buy a pair of trainers for a lot less. 😆

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member
    Sorry to crash the thread.
    Just emailed you George.
    Carry on.

Hi – repied.

singlespeedstu

Nothing this end.

honourablegeorge

Hmm…. email on my phone seems to hae stopped working

honourablegeorge

Sent again….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Mid to long travel 29 er list please.’ is closed to new replies.