Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mid sole cleat position
  • bionicwoman
    Free Member

Have tried to some research as I know I can create this on any shoes but does anyone know of any brands that do this ready on the shoes? I have a replaced knee and ride regularly but have less of a physical bend on my knee since it was done 4 years ago and pedal with mid sole with no cleat…I have heard some triathletes use midsole shoes….any advice will be gratefully received cheers

FuzzyWuzzy

Biomac do them, I imagine they’re pricey though http://www.biomac.biz/die-y-serie/customizing/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-biomac-bio-mxc2-shoes-09-34720
    Not sure if the full custom offering from Bont also allows a mid-sole cleat option, again though they are eye-wateringly expensive

bionicwoman
    Free Member

cheers fuzzy I saw that option but nearly choked at the price will defo look at bont though cheers

stuey
    Free Member

I’m trying it for dodgey Achilles – much cheapness by re-drilling and moving the ‘little cleat plate back’
    I think it’s helping but my toes now overlap 😆

Going to give flats ago too.

lightman
    Free Member

This is a previous thread about them with pictures.

It is easy enough to make your own without spending silly amounts of money using either mtb shoes or cheap modified football boots!
    I already had the carbon kit (£40) and the football shoes cost under £25 delivered from ebay, so I had a super light pair off cycling shoes for not much money.

I went from these ~

to these ~

I still use the mtb ones daily.

bionicwoman
    Free Member

They look amazing will look into that thank you!

coh1
    Free Member

Hi lightman, was is a carbon kit and where can I get one. Would be obliged for an email to info@coh.ie

coh1
    Free Member

Lightman, Should have said, what is a carbon kit and where can I get one?

Superficial
    Free Member

What is the supposed advantage of this?

(Knee issues aside).

fourbanger
    Free Member

Has this been reported as trolling?

DanW
    Free Member

Has this been reported as trolling?

Perhaps a bit harsh but it does sound a very odd question.

A mid foot position will actually use the knee more as you reduce the work the muscles around the ankle do. If you have had a knee replacement then a mid foot cleat position won’t make the slightest bit of difference and might actually make any pain worse. For those with ankle issues like stuey then it might help alleviate some issues. Saddle position will make the biggest change to the amount of knee flexion throughout each pedal stroke.

From Joe Friels blog:

Another advantage is that the biggest muscles of your body – the quads and glutes – are used more since the calf – a relatively small muscle – is now less active and no longer serves as a “transmission” for the biggest muscles. This latter point is especially beneficial for triathletes who rely on those calf muscles as their primary mover when they start the run. Fresh calf muscles mean a better run.

PS: A singlespeed also insn’t going to make a knee replacement very happy either (based on the Gorrick thread)

Macavity
    Free Member

If you have tried pedaling midfoot with flat pedals and a decent pair of shoes then you will know if midfoot is for you, or not.

There is this retrofit option that can be used on some shoes.
    http://road.cc/content/news/76979-turn-your-favourite-shoes-clipless-pedal-cycling-shoes

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mid sole cleat position’ is closed to new replies.