• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mid priced, puncture resistant, Roadie Tyre & Wheel Combo
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

Im getting tired of having punctures on my road bike. I guess a large part of the reason why I’m getting punctures is because I’m using cheap tyres (Vittoria Rubino).

I want to get some kevlar reinforced tyres and wondering whats out there.

As the kevlar tyres will be a bit heavier I’m also thinking of replacing the cheap OEM wheels on my Giant Defy 3 to something lighter. So I am thinking about swapping them out for either Shimano RS10’s or the Planet X “B” jobbies.

I have a budget of around £200 for the combo. Anyone got any opinions, advice or suggestions?

thx

turboferret

I have some Schwalbe Marathon Plus which have been great.

Bit of a weight penalty for the extra puncture resistant layer, but certainly worth it.

Cheers, Rich

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Nor sure about the wheels, although I’d be tempted to push the budget and get a pair of Ultegra wheels for around £250.00. Worth every penny.

I can heartily recommend the Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres though. I changed to these from Ultremo R1s and can’t tell the difference. Coming up to 1000 miles on them and no punctures yet.

aP
    Free Member

Just try using conti GP 4 season tyres and don’t bother getting new wheels. Check the rim tape to make sure there’s no splitting or sharp bits and the inside of the rim for burrs.

MSP

Depends what the cause of the punctures is, pinch flats? thorns? glass?

Schwalbe marathon plus won’t fit on a race bike.

I run conti gatorskin 28’s through winter, its no fun repairing punctures when its cold and wet, and these seem to do the trick, they are pretty tough for resisting sharp objects, and the extra volume helps when hitting unexpected pot holes. Not much clearance though, some bikes may not take them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mid priced, puncture resistant, Roadie Tyre & Wheel Combo’ is closed to new replies.