Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Mid-life Crisis – VW Camper
  • Twodogs

Like that one, kojak…not dropped! Why do people drop the suspension? It looks so much better not dropped.

Anyway, I had one 30 years ago, ex dutch army, LHD…great fun when we were in our twenties and didn’t cost that much to keep on the road. But it was 18 years old…can’t imagine what a 50 year old one would cost. We sold it when the rust became uneconomic to repair.

Now we have a t5 Cali…a whole different world

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right on time
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/classic-car-owner-dreaming-of-soulless-reliable-modern-car-20160727111455

THE owner of a character-filled 1960s car is desperate for one that is comfortable and does not constantly break down, he has revealed.

Graphic designer Stephen Malley’s 1964 Triumph Herald has a timeless elegance but in technological terms makes a Ford Ka look like a spaceship.

Malley said: “The Triumph always gets admiring looks from people, but they’re not living through the daily bloody nightmare of using it as a means of transport.

“The most obvious problem is how incredibly uncomfortable the seats are. A friend gave me a lift in her Vauxhall Astra recently and it was like floating along on a massive silk pillow carried by angels.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Two further comments.

1) Safety – The front crumble zone is your ankles. There is nothing really to stop that. If you have lowered it is your knees. There are no airbags and no recoil seat belts as standard. My fireman friend would not get in mine based on ‘I’ve seen what hass happened when we’ve had to cut people out of these’.

2) Be wary of the Mexican / Brazilian bays, especially the later water cooled ones -a lot of the panels are made to imperial sizes rather than metric or vice versa I cant remember – which ever way around it is they are a subtly different size so replacing panels can be a nightmare of making things fit.

ahwiles
    Free Member

just get a transit.

1) it’s what Guy martin drives

2) they’re really good

3) they’re a bargain compared to VW’s.

agent007
    Free Member

just get a transit.

1) it’s what Guy martin drives
    2) they’re really good
    3) they’re a bargain compared to VW’s.

Yes very good vans, nice to drive too but that’s what they are – just vans, very basic. T5’s are more expensive but you get a much nicer environment to sit in, plus they hold their value a lot better, and there’s way much more you can do with them (more easily) as the whole camper scene is built around VW.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I must admit, I do have a soft spot for old Transits.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lus they hold their value a lot better, and there’s way much more you can do with them (more easily) as the whole camper scene is built around VW.

They hold onto the premium you pay for them, it’s not the same thing.
    The entire “camper scene” is built around conversions if done properly take a look at MX race vans etc. bugger all transporters in there. There are good conversion available and kit to do them, just needs imagination not being a sheep

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

You can get more choice for the be t4 and 5/6 than any other van. Your options for other manufacturers are limited.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not being picky but looks like heaps of choice
    http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/campervaninteriorlayoutdesignguideandplanner.html
    prices for anything really

MrNutt
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near North Devon this weekend pop along to Tapeley Park as its the “Stately Dubs” Weekender, plenty to look over and exchange tips on which motorway has the best hard shoulder 😀

I’ve just bought a coahbuilt 1990 transit as I quite fancied the idea of a shower, toilet, two double beds and a full kitchen as well as being able to stand up straight and get in and out without scalping myself! 😀

Still I’ll probably be sat on the side of the motorway with everyone else, just not in as much style!

oh the address is:

Tapeley Park
    Instow
    North Devon
    EX39 4NT

(don’t use satnav as it’ll take you the wrong way, follow the brown tourist route signs from around bideford)

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Like that one, kojak…not dropped!

When I fisrt got it everyone was ‘slamming’ them, I had a Foksey adjustable beam on the front and went 2 notches on the rear, about 10 years ago I had the rear put up one notch and adjusted the front to be a bit higher, so not low but it looks level and much more comfortable to drive.

Tweaked engine with twin 36s that puts out about 130bhp, 2 lt gearbox from cogbox, cruises a bit better! But I still stick to 60mph ish, same mpg as when it was a bog standard 1600cc.

Toyota MR2 Mk1 seats in the front – they have a flat base so fit nicely, again much more comfortable.

We went round Devon and Cornwall last year, no problems. About 4 years ago took it all the way to the south and France and back on a 3 week trip, again no problems. I know it’s nice to get places fast but we spent 3 days going through the middle of France on beautiful empty minor roads stopping at some lovely villages, really nice way to see the country, you miss all that speeding through on toll roads.

Been thinking of selling it for years but everytime we use it we just enjoy it again. We did intend to hire a T5 to see what it’s like but never got around to it, probably want one if we did 😀

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Our t4 has been very good. Simple to own and mostly safe to drive, not that quick but easier to live with. It’s having a roof this year if he behaves. I like the T2 and Split screens, but I’m happier to watch others own them.
    The T5 is something we would lust over but can’t justify the overpriced cost of them used. Dislike the older transits – rented a few. Nissan and other van types are either smaller, or much more van like to drive. Sticking with the happy place that is a fully payed for VWT4.

brassneck

If you’re anywhere near North Devon this weekend pop along to Tapeley Park as its the “Stately Dubs” Weekender, plenty to look over and exchange tips on which motorway has the best hard shoulder

I’ll wave on my way to the Outlaws in Braunton. Should be a nice long wave as we’ll all be sat in a tailback from hell, regardless of mechanical functionality.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Mid-life Crisis – VW Camper’ is closed to new replies.