Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Mid Life Crisis – recommend me a dirt jump bike
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

As the title really, had a couple of sessions recently in at the local indoor ramp/jump park (Rampworld, Cardiff) and i’m hooked, reminds me of first riding a bike as a kid, now I find myself looking online and trawling articles for various bikes, so i believe that it is the time when I need to hit the go button on one..

So any advice, what to look for and what to avoid, also advice on sizing welcome, few things that I am sorted on are 26inch wheels, Singlespeed, 20mm bolt through forks

Oh and tell me if I will die, Cheers

SirHC

Budget?

DT78
    Free Member

I broke both my scaphoids, my collar bone and some ribs.

I sold the dirt bike.

Have fun 🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

oh yeah, ideally under £800 but as this is an area I’ve no idea on I’m open to suggestions

Could be time for a new C2W bike…

kayla1
    Free Member

Small or XS BFe frame? They’re strong, relatively cheap and possibly more easily sold on should the urge pass! I’ve got mine set up SS using a Stinger chain device as a tensioner.

DT78- both scaphoids? Ouch 🙁

TheBrick
    Free Member

Buy something second hand. Try it for a while then go for it when you know what you want.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Buy something second hand. Try it for a while then go for it when you know what you want.

I’d do this, and £800 is a lot of money for a DJ bike.
    If you’re just using it at the skatepark then consider getting a BMX for the full mid-life crisis experience.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Tried BMX just didnt feel right to me,

evilbay here i come, any other places to go look for second hand stuff?

kayla1
    Free Member

Bumtree and Pinkbike are ok as well.

kimbers

boom!
    for 200 quid im tempted!

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1851204/

Stevet1
    Free Member

Tried BMX just didnt feel right to me,

It doesn’t, at first, Then it does and it’s ace.
    If you’re only riding skateparks then a BMX is much more suited to the tight transitions, airing quarters, manualling stuff etc.
    No reason why a 26″ can’t be fun, it will be, and probably more versatile if you use it elsewhere as well but don’t discount a BMX either on a couple of goes on one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dartmoor make some nice jump / play bikes

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Been getting into this jump bike and skate park malarkey for the last year or so. With the resurgence of BMX tracks and new pump tracks around the area (south yorkshire) it’s bloody good for practising the skills! Also been heading up to Rockcity in Hull which is AMAZING but I have a lot to learn.

I had a DMR reptoid that I have since passed on to a friend and now I have an NS Suburban that I utterly love. I would look at something from NS or perhaps even a YT for the money you are looking at possibly spending. If you’re not sure then second hand is definitely the way to go.

YT

NS

I currently have a large hole in my shin from trying to jump a box and accidentally trying a no-footer… nearly got my feet back on but not quite. Can’t wait to get out on it again!

37 years old and going on 13.

oldeh
    Free Member

canyon stitched. I bought one and my first dj bike and its great. think it has quite a long tt but that is good for me as im 6′

sharkattack

I just moved to Sheffield and for the first time I have access to loads of tracks and jumps and it’s been very hard work on my large Bfe. When I’m trying to get my pump on the saddle is right in my gut.

I had my heart set on a Transition PBJ but they’re only selling it as a frameset in the UK.

The Canyon Stitched looks evil but I’ve got no way to get discount on one of those…

I’m just over 6 foot and the PBJ is a bit longer than the Stitched.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I started riding Park in my Forties, tried a BMX but couldn’t get on with it, bought a cheap Voodoo jump bike which I used for a year. I now have an NS Momentum which is great.
    Definitely made me better at jumping and manuals.

core

Not quite mid life (I hope – 28), and just bought a 4x frame.

I live basically mid way between FoD and NyA which are both having pump/skills tracks and jumps built at the moment. 417 project is only a bit over an hour away too.

I got a dialled holeshot (not sure if it’s the long or short one) frame, some spare nukeproof bars off a mate and have built it up 1×9 from the spares bin (which includes 120mm reba’s), sharing wheels with my full sus.

I’m crap at jumps/drops and carrying speed on berms, so I want it to improve my skills and have some fun on. Bonus is my other half (5ft 2″) can also ride it as a proper bike with the seatpost extended.

I got a bit giddy after xmas really and it’s quite extravagant considering how much it’ll get used, but sat in the house when it was cold and wet imagining being up at NyA on a balmy summer evening messing about on it had me pressing the buy it now button……

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Definately a lot more here for me to think about,

Anybody around Cardiff and wants to laugh at the fat* over forty guy making a fool of himself come join me..

(*for a limited time thanks to STW Chub Club)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got one I’ve just stripped of forks, wheels, handlebars, and brakes was my godsons first MTB but he’s now too big for it, so the above have been transferred to a bigger frame. The frame with all the other parts are available, if you’re interested?. it wasn’t singlespeed, but had like a low ratio cassette (which is still with it), but I put a normal cassette on for my godson. £100 for it all plus postage or something like that, I’m in Bingley / Skipton. I can tell you exactly what’s included if you’re interested.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Well i spent last night on various used/for sale forums and im impressed with what is available around 5/6 years old for sub £150 for full builds, so im thinking that’ll be the way I go to start with, cheers all for the advice..

Now watch this space for the “I am broken/have broken/in hospital thread”

letmetalktomark

May I recommend that Sir procures a full face helmet as part of the experiment.

Having landed on my face recently (wearing a full face helmet) on a BMX track i won’t be going back on one again without one!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

oh good thought, is there a difference between full face stuff, would a downhill one be suffiecient or too heavy?

im using my triple 8 skate helmet at present

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

when my lad started racing bmx i went and bought myself a yeti dj, utterly over-specced, classic case of all the gear no idea, for what i needed but a really nice bike and lovely to roll around on at the local jump track.

i’ve been meaning to sell it for years but everytime i checked prices on ebay it hardly seemed worth it in case i needed it again, indeed its stripped down now so the parts could build up my lads new bike.

so if you want 26, i’d look for a used dj as they don’t go for much. otherwise i always liked the look of the 24″ floval flyers and/or i would definitely check dialed bikes as i’ve just bought and built up an alpine for my son and it really is a lovely well thought out well made frame.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

rebuilt it gav, you know you want to

mindmap3
    Free Member

Gav would you be interested in selling that Yeti frame?

I’ve been after one for a while but they don’t seem to come up that often. I’ve collected the bits I need to build a little Dj bike, I just need a frame.

buckster
    Free Member

NS Bikes are nice, I got my son one and it goes v well indeed.

kayak23

A mate is selling his 24″ Cruiser bmx… Well, I’m selling it for him.
    £60, based in warwickshire.

ad here.

Built to survive the acropolis…

Stevet1
    Free Member

Good luck with your sale kayak but just to inform the OP – cruiser BMX’s do not handle very well at skateparks, they’re built for stability at speed and over big jumps, they don’t manual, hop or air as nicely as either a BMX or (most) jump bikes.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer Kayak, but im not really looking for a BMX (just yet) I’ve ridden one and i find that at presemnt im a little more comfortable on a 26inch wheel jump bike, at least until i get my confidence up a touch at least

i_like_food

When is the acropolis coming? Did someone tell the Greeks?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My midlife crises: bought a convertible and had a fling with a hot 20 year old.

Just wish she would stop calling me Daddy.

New bike later.

bigjim

I picked up a yeti dj frame for about £75 and sourced other parts from the spares bin/old 26″ bikes. It’s my favouritest bike ever and was my daily commuter for a year too. Won’t sell it!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just back from a two hour session at Rampworld again, and totally “stoked”

So I think it’s safe to say I’m hooked, caught some air and rode stuff that on Saturday I just looked at and walked away from,

Tomorrows job is to sort out a bike, second hand is the way to go

i_like_food – Member
    When is the acropolis coming? Did someone tell the Greeks?

Eh?

zero-cool
    Free Member

DMR.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I have nothing to add to the thread apart from a tenuous excuse to link:It’s going to be a FNM day…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b88US-6ts[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

Excellent! I am just getting back into bmx myself. Wishing I had never stopped. Found a good group of older riders is what helped me and lack of this is what caused me to stop.

Google a video called mid life radness for some inspiration!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just messing about on bikes…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RiEWTo]IMG_2260[/url] by dtilby, on Flickr

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Mid Life Crisis – recommend me a dirt jump bike’ is closed to new replies.