• This topic has 92 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Mid-life crisis? Anyone had one?
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Think im having one at 24 nearly 25!
    Want to up sticks and go teach people to mountain bike!
    Just dont think i could afford to live off the income.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

It’s all in the name.

Cycling keeps me sane(ish) and stops me drinking too much.

I’d like to get hold of some testosterone to combat the male menopause – no really look it up. Funny thing tho – I’ve been told by a few medical friends there’s no chance of me getting it – but if I was female and went to the docs complaining of reduced libido, I would be offered testosterone patches.

Google search testosterone patch and you’ll see what I mean – and I thought it was a male hormone….

mikee
    Free Member

yup, one a year for the last 10 or so ,long may it continue

hora
    Free Member

Midlifecyclist, I’m confused. I want to **** any and everything but stay with one. Always have. I put this down to being a filthy fecker and not a mid-life crisis. Testosterone isnt the answer, surely its providing a convenient smokescreen/elastoplast-cure-all?

Moda
    Free Member

Now 41 – Gave up the drugs, losing quite large sums of money gambling, stopped binge drinking. Now no drugs, no gambling now drinking alcohol on a more structured regular basis ie every night( apart from when im night riding) and cocking up every relationship with the fairer sex… Cycling keeps me sane but can not seem to curb my drinking…. hic… My old friends i have known for 20 years plus still mostly persist in that high from the narcs… Why most of them happily married with kids ???

Hora – your comments give me food for thought, perhaps we are looking for something or someone that does not really exist….

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Im nearly 43, Ive just bought 2 ducks (live to live in the garden), for why I dont know why and will be trying to cycle round the Annapurna circuit in 3 days in May. Used to be happy with beach holidays!

G
    Free Member

Blimey ! Where to start?

I reckon MLC comes about for one of two major reasons

1) You wake up one morning and realise that you’ve got less time left than you’ve had already,
    2) somehow or other you discover that you are yesterdays news at work, and probably will not be getting much further than where you are now.

That then leads to a period of navel gazing shortly followed by attmepts to recover/revitalise lost youth, missed chances etc etc. This phase often will follow some considerable time after the adult purchase of a scaletrix, the first sign of impending doom,(thats without any pretext of it being for your kids incidentally, simply a blatant boys toys moment).

In there there will be all sorts of efforts to recover youth which will include attempts at ridiculous testosterone rich sports, boffing the office bike and generally acting like an arse. If you are lucky you will come out the other side of it and come to an understanding of the siginificant things in life, and your successes with those as opposed to your perceived failures in many other areas. If you’re not you’ll end up i na disaterous relationship with the bike bitterly regretting what you’ve done to your one big success until that moment.

Best advice : Get on with it, get it out of your system, but always be totally honest with the office bike, and tell her that you won’t be leaving the Mrs. Never ever admit anything, even if you’re caught in up to hilt, this allows the real woman in your life the dignity of choosing whether to kick you out or not. And finally remember everything over 40 looks a bastard in lycra… learn to live with it!

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

32 and utterly f*cking pissed off at the mo – could be worse though, so i need to snap out of it!

A girl id got really close with and was all going frighteningly well (thinking about rings! For those that know me – thats serious stuff!! :-))…..then she had some real bad news and has completely shut down and i cant reach her at all. It hurts like f*ck.

If it wasnt for biking and being able to thrash all my frustration with my riding i dont know what i’d do…..i guess its a crutch as much as anything else!

God bless mountain biking – my saviour!! 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Had a “crisis” from 30->32: “who am I”, “where are we going”, y’know. I started to sense my mortality I reckon.

Still don’t have answers but I’m too busy to address them [how do people have time to marry, have kids, buy houses, business etc?]

Life’s what’s happening while you make other plans I guess.

woodsman
    Free Member

I think I’m just getting to grips with mid-life, and accepting it, the only regret is not meeting the right person to have children with. Pete aka Woodsman aged 43 and 3/4 years.

hora
    Free Member

Pete, your only 43 FFS.

woodsman
    Free Member

There’s still time then!!;)

Cheers hora – agree with most of your coments above btw

willard

Does trying to join the TA at 35 count as a midlife crisis?

Then you have all the assorted things that go with it, like doing long distance running for the first time in my life, which means that I ache all the **** time.

And to think… I could be at home in my comfy chair with a cocoa right now instead.

hora
    Free Member

Seriously though. a 43yr old can meet a girl of ANY age- 35 upto 45 and still have children. As above my 30yr old sis in law is seeing her older boss. Girls dont mind someone older than them as long as they arent crusty, smelly, badly dressed and shambling along. If you focus on your age then you’ll osmose’ into the type that girls dont want.
    SFB is as old as the hills, probably older but I thought he was alot younger than he is.

woodsman
    Free Member

I think I can get away with a good few years younger, but I know what you mean – and I’m not just talking about SFB! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Does trying to join the TA at 35 count as a midlife crisis
    If its something that you’ve always wanted to do at the back of your mind/fancied but always put off? Then no.
    If its a sudden-occurred though? Yes.

failedengineer

Ive done it / still doing it. left wife of 26 years to live with lady 10 years younger than me, in a place I don’t particularly like. tried to go back home twice, didn’t work out, back with new lady, now unemployed. No way back now – I’ll just have to live with the consequences. I reckon it’s all down to selfishness (mine) and boredom. Ho hum. Anyone know of any good jobs in North Cumbria?

hora
    Free Member

Forestry Commission?

binners

Hora. You’re permanently in crisis. You’re just too thick to realise it 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Had a mini crisis around 28, got back with – the now – MrsSwadey, have two great young kids and have learnt to accept that what I have to lose is far more valuable than what “might” be out there to gain.

The solution to me was about learning to take responsibility for yourself and those you love, finding an outlet to channel any work/life frustration – in my case by riding – setting yourself small challenges – again, cycling and suddenly the world is not such a bad place.

Of course, I still ogle £3k bikes and the female equivalent, but I’m able to accept that I haven’t got the ability to make the most of either even if I got the chance!

DezB
    Free Member

I dunno.. been through some weird stuff in the past 5(ish) years, whether its mid-life crisis.. more likely than those 30somethings (or 20somethings!) that think thats what they’ve been through – that’d be something different pal.
    No urge to buy a sports car anyway.
    No regrets so far (but then I didn’t get caught 😉 )
    Need MTBing to keep my mind balanced – without it there would be a massive crisis, that is for certain.

mooman
    Free Member

I

n

m 38yr so thats my take on it anyways ….

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Was a fat, beer swilling, fag smoking 38yr old but was good to my wife and kids and they loved me. After a bit of self assessment decided to give up the fags, cut down the booze and, after years of couch surfing, become a bit more active. Joined a gym, bought a ‘mountain bike'(£150 gate) sorted out diet. Lost 56lbs……………….and suddenly became attractive to women!(a novelty, to say the least). At this time we had an influx of younger staff (early/mid 20’s)at work with whom I kinda fell in with – clubbing etc. The missus put up with all this with unbelievable good grace and we still got on fine. Then it happened…………..the younger woman. Won’t go into detail but went almost down the same path as Crikey, didn’t leave home/family but the fall-out was pretty bad. Was depressed for about 2yrs after ending the affair and had lots to make up to my wife and kids. Everything is good now, though. The kids are doing well and are happy, my wife still loves me and I her, the younger woman is now married and expecting a child and we are also on reasonably good terms.It could have been a **** of a lot worse and might have been if it were not for my wifes determination that our marriage was worth saving, God bless her.

jedi

midlife crisis??? i havent grown beyond 15yrs old yet 🙂

<fact>

willard

Ah yes… Giving up smoking. Really do need to do that and soon. Maybe I can have that as my midlife crisis.

Can anyone spare any will power?

binners

Judging from the replies to this thread, I should have re-phrased it ‘has anyone NOT had a midlife crisis?’

There seems to be a familiar pattern

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, must be the recesion that starts to make everyone think about there lives.
    I’m looking at the future with possible earnings massivley less than I’ve earnt before but…. half of me is thinking that I will be far happier..half of me is dreading having a lot less money.. will I miss it ?

donald
    Free Member

No I haven’t had any sort of crisis. But at the age of 38 I did decide to do something I would always be able to look back on with a sense of accomplishment so I climbed a very big mountain.

It was quite a big deal to me at the time. I probably won’t do anything like it again and I’m very glad I did it.

Sandwich

Crisis brought on by my mum dying early from a brain tumour after 15 years remission. Went from Carpe next Diem to grab it while it’s there. Climbing, mountainbiking and all sorts of outdoorsy stuff. I think I’m out of it now though Mrs S says I have progressed to my second (third) childhood. All I need now is another bike… 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Feeling another woman (or man) can work wonders and reinvigorate a middling relationship. Although I wouldnt condone man on man as your wife may pick up on the signs (such as tight armless tshirts, spandex pants and someone called ‘Gary’ calling you alot)……oh hang on..isnt that mountain biking?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve had about 4 mid life crisis’s so far.

The first one involved dirt jumping, I think that one ended with many broken ribs.
    Then I had another one that involved skateboarding, that one ended with a broken leg.
    Then I had a great idea about buying a sports car. That one ended with a broken bank balance.

The current one I’m having isn’t nearly as much fun as the others and just seems to result in a broken samuri as I spiral further and further into a black depression. Ho hum.

Actually I want a motorbike next.

Woody
    Free Member

Lots of mid life changes are dubbed a ‘crisis’ by people who are just envious of the motorbike, girlfriend, sports car, etc.etc.

And what is classed as middle age now……40, 50, 60 ?

As someone who is recently single again, I am thoroughly enjoying riding my mtb’s when I want, I can tinker with the MGB ’til my heart’s content, listen to the music/tv/films I want to listen to, or just sit and scratch my @rse, pure and simple !

Selfish ?…..possibly

Happier ?…..absolutely 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Simonm – depends if you need the money – I earn massively less than I used to, in a much less “exciting” job, but by a bit of clever (pre-housing boom/bust) relocation we have enough to live on, I get a lot of time with my wife and kids, and I’m less messed up than I was.

simonm
    Free Member

thats what I’m thinking swadey..

andyfla
    Free Member

SWadey

finding an outlet to channel any work/life frustration – in my case by riding

And you seem so relaxed on a bike, I didn’t realise your inner turmoil …..

I decided to do the entire Tour de France next year one day before the Pro’s and I coincidently will be 40 only 2 weeks after , does that count ?

yoshimi

Hora – you ever seen the film ‘High Fidelity’ (yes I’m aware of the book but prefer the film) – quite apt to how you describe things – I feel very much the same.

(def in my top 5 films odf all time)

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just turned 49, done my CBT and Theory test, bike test 7th April. parents would’nt let me ride a motorcycle as a kid, so have been very frustrated over the past years. My wife is brilliant about this, even though we don’t have loads of dosh, she is fully supporting me, I’m very luck – 25years of marriage without too many hitches and she rides at least 100 miles a week 😀

One happy mid life crisis here!

hora
    Free Member

High Fidelity – on the list now. Ta 🙂

I did read a few great books by an author thats supposed to be similar. Based in London, guy breaks up with gf, goes out with a chinese lass etc. Arfgh what is he called?!!!

hora
    Free Member

GOT IT- Tony Parsons ‘Man and Boy’. Quality.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

will be trying to cycle round the Annapurna circuit in 3 days in May

Tell me more…I visit Pokhara often and haven’t as yet taken the bike there, though I’m considering it next time round. Is it with an organised company? It takes 3 weeks to walk round and I’ve done sections of it. Can’t believe you can get round in 3 days!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Mid-life crisis? Anyone had one?’ is closed to new replies.