Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • "Mid day" when is it?
  • scruff9252

I have always though of mid day as noon or 12:00. However got a sales call today at an inauspicious time. I asked them to call back at mid day but salesperson needed me to stipulate the exact time as “mid day is a different time for different people”. Apparently.

So what time do you think mid day is? Can it be variable?

the-muffin-man

For me mid-day is 12 noon.

‘Lunchtime’ is the variable.

Bregante

From the OED

Midday:

NOUN

The middle of the day; noon:

Also
    NOUN

noon, twelve noon, twelve midday, twelve o’clock, high noon, noontide, noontime, noonday, twelve hundred, twelve hundred hours

Cougar

I’d say “midday” is around 12 noon. I wouldn’t expect a midday phone call bang on 12, could be a bit earlier or later. Broadly synonymous with “lunchtime” I suppose.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ah yes, but midday in France is only 11.00 in UK

scruff9252

Ok, good to know I’m not losing the plot. There was no chat about lunchtimes and it was a UK based Co so no time zone issues.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

around half a day after midnight :p

GrahamS

Midday is 12 noon.

But personally if you asked me to “call back at midday” then I’d assume you meant “around the middle of the day” and not precisely 12.

So I can kind of see his point.

CountZero

If I asked someone to call back its always ‘around’ a time, so I’d say around midday, or around noon, because I’d assume that the caller may have other calls that could take more or less time than an average, and I may not be in a position to take a call at an exact time.
    Asking for a fixed time as ‘midday is different for different people’ seems very pedantic.

tomhoward

The person asking is a moron. Midday is 12:00. ‘Around midday’ is 11:55 to 12:05.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

But is it AM or PM?

GrahamS

But is it AM or PM?

Exactly midday is neither AM or PM. It is just M.

But given that midday – 1 yoctosecond is AM and midday + 1 yoctosecond is PM it’s really hard to spot that on your average watch 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I believe the reply is
    If you are to stupid to work it out dont call me back

jota180
    Free Member

But is it AM or PM?

Generally………..

Midnight is quoted as PM and noon as AM

tomhoward

Generally………..

Sure?

Cougar

It’s the other way around, isn’t it? Noon is, desperately confusingly, 12pm.

Cougar

Thinking about it, it’s not am/pm which it’s the issue. Rather, the 12 on a clock face really should be a zero.

GrahamS

It’s the other way around, isn’t it? Noon is, desperately confusingly, 12pm.

I’d say so yes.

As I hinted at above, exactly 12:00 Meridian is a theoretical infinitely small point in time.

By definition any point you can imagine immediately before it would have to be 11:59:59.999999999999999999…… and therefore AM.

Any point immediately after would be 12:00:00.00000000000000………..1 so PM

PePPeR

I won’t get into the mid day issue, but would like to mention that there is no midnight in the forces, it’s either 23:59hrs or 00:01hrs, I guess to stop confusion for just this reason as to which day is meant!

BigJohn

I think you mean misquoted.

And why is it called a 24 hour clock when it only goes to 23:59?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s when the sun is at it’s highest point. So it depends where you live.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘"Mid day" when is it?’ is closed to new replies.