• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mid 90's Kona – ok with 80 or 85mm travel forks?
  • benz
    Free Member

If yes, what would you recommend?

Anyone got any decent ones with 1.1/8″ steerer about 220mm long?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i have a mid nineties kona with 100mm fox floats, and that’s fine. does that help?

Wrongun
    Free Member

I have a 1993 Marin frame fitted with 100mm Marzocchi forks and it is fine. If anything the handling is improved as it is less twitchy.

warpcow
    Free Member

I had a ’96 Kona Lava Dome with 100mm Marz. forks back in the day. It was fine, but I swapped for 80mm forks later and felt that that was better.

lovewookie

IIRC the mid 90’s explosif came with 100mm bombers?

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i’ve got a ’96 hei hei with f80s and its doing fine

smoggy
    Free Member

’99 Kona Nunu with rock shox jett 100mm forks (till i changed it to rigid)……….was fine.

lovewookie

sorry, it was the ’97 king kahuna that came with bombers.

dogpower
    Free Member

you wouldn’t happen to be selling the project 2’s at all would you?

clubber
    Free Member

My ’95 Kilauea is acceptable at 100mm though maybe a touch slower than ideal but you get used to it. It does depend on the fork though – I use Pace specifically because they’re short for the length of travel.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I found my ’98 explosif too barge-like with 100mm forks. I only run 80mm or rigid now. The whole point of it to me is that it feels snappy and quick.

walleater

I had a ’99 Pahhaoahaoehhaohehaoheoahe which was designed around 65mm forks, and I had 85 and 105 (and a rigid) over time, and 85mm felt the best for single track riding.

OCB
    Free Member

My 92 Fire Mountain had 100mm Manitou’s for a bit and it felt great.
    It’s now got rigid PII’s on, but the 29er versions at ~465mm, and it feels like a barge. 😛

(It’s like riding my old GS1000 again).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mid 90's Kona – ok with 80 or 85mm travel forks?’ is closed to new replies.