Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Microsoft Word/Publisher experts
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can anyone help a Microsoft numpty?

I want to create a standard page in a report with fixed placements for 4 or 6 graphs per page. I used to do this with work templates but do not have access to them now!!

The report will have one page on LHS with 6 graphs – all the same size, format etc – facing a page on RHS with text/analysis. This will be repeated many times.

I would like to have space for “Titles” at the top and possibly “Source” at the bottom but that is not critical. The key is to create a set template that I can re-use over and over. There are several hundred graphs that need to be included, hence i dont want to be doing each one individually.

I cant find a set template in Word (just installed 2013).

If Publisher does this for you – I dont know – happy to buy it an save time.

Thanks in advance and excuse the non-bike related question but there are a lot of IT genuii on here!!

geoffj

I think I’d create a transparent table and use that to hold the graphics – I’ll have a look.

Edit – yes, you can specify fixed row heights and preferred column widths.
    You can add a text segment at the top and bottom and use relevant styles to deal with the formatting.

Save the page as a snippet which you can paste in when you need it or you can save it as template if you don’t need to add any other text to the document.

Edit 2 – the source of the graphics might affect how automated you can make it though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That was one thought I had!

I had someone send me a template, but it doesn’t slip into other word docs.

I would like to learn how to do it rather than just grab another template, but I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to MS Office past 2003 versions.

geoffj

I’m not sure of the details, but it looks as though you can have different templates for different sections (using section breaks) of a document.

I’m guessing you’ll be mail merging the graphics in?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have 000s of graphs in a seperate database. They are formatted indentically. They will be copied and linked into word and PPT. Yes, I will use section breaks when formatting the end report.

(I dont understand mail merge)

Its seems so simple and basic, I cant understand why it seems so difficult – admitting I am a numpty here!!

I am trying the table idea with not much success so far!!!

Does Publisher do this automatically?

jfletch
    Free Member

I can’t help but I do feel sorry for the poor sod who has to read a word document with 000’s of graphs in it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s me!! (the poor sod)

The published docs will be 20 pages or so!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Word/Publisher experts’ is closed to new replies.