Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Microsoft SQL Server to Postgres
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

Has anyone ever exported data from a Microsoft SQL db into a postgres db.
    Some of the tables contain spatial data.

So far I’ve tried these commercial products:
    DbConvert (trial) – crashes straight away
    DbSync (trial) sort of works but crashes with out of memory error on one table
    SpectralCore FullConvert (trial) – crashed

I have no idea what to do with pgloader (or how to even install it on windows)

jeffl

You can get SQL server to write out a load of insert statements for all the data in specific tables. If your data structures closely matches in postgree then you could probably run it in with a few tweaks. Other option is an SSIS package, assuming postgree has an ODBC driver that SQL management studio can access.

mrmo
    Free Member

last place i worked used Postgres as a datasource for the TSQL data warehouse and using open query allowed the transfer of data out. I don’t know how the linked server was set up. Wasn’t my job and never went wrong so never had to learn. So definitely possible that way. i guess the other way is also possible

The messy way would be export to CSV table by table and reconstruct, but i assume you don’t want to do that?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yes, have done both from Oracle and sql server into postgres.

Not always straightforward.

These days I’d go straight to fme to do this but prob not something you have available

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Dbvisualizer will write out dml statements for a database, but it’s not a free tool. There is an evaluation period though. You could then manipulate the sql statements as necessary for import to postgress.

gregsd
    Free Member

Presume you’ve got the PostGIS extender for Postgres to handle spatial data?

As above, FME will help and you can get a handy 30 day trial version.

DavidB
    Free Member

Have a look at Talend

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft SQL Server to Postgres’ is closed to new replies.