Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Microsoft security alert ?!!
  • DrJ

I just got a mail telling me that someone had accessed my Hotmail account and I need to click here to reset my account. Haha! I thought – I’m not born yesterday! – that’s a stupid scam to trick the naive into compromising their security.

However, when I logged out of Hotmail and logged in again, I got a similar message insisting I change my password, and confirming it with a SMS to my phone. So it seems legit 🙁

But – what is hard to undertstand is how someone could have hacked my account, given that I have 2-factor authentication activated that requires a code from an app on my mobile. Unless Putin mobilised the entire computing power of the FSB I don’t see how it could be hacked. But maybe I am just a naive sucker?

xora

Do you have an old skype account? Thats what they hacked on mine.

ampthill

Not actually hacked then,perhaps just an attempt

Facebook notified me of an attempt on my account today and asked for a password reset

nickhit3
    Free Member

I just got a mail telling me that someone had accessed my Hotmail account and I need to click here to reset my account. Haha! I thought – I’m not born yesterday! – that’s a stupid scam to trick the naive into compromising their security.

However, when I logged out of Hotmail and logged in again, I got a similar message insisting I change my password, and confirming it with a SMS to my phone. So it seems legit

But – what is hard to undertstand is how someone could have hacked my account, given that I have 2-factor authentication activated that requires a code from an app on my mobile. Unless Putin mobilised the entire computing power of the FSB I don’t see how it could be hacked. But maybe I am just a naive sucker?

FWIW, i had the same msg via text and email yesterday morning. Changed the password as per the instructions, and similarly via the text verification two factor. I happened to believe this particular notification, as I’ve found MS pretty reliable on the mail security front-and this is the first notification of a security problem I’ve had in many years. Might be a mass security breach/data compromise affecting a lot of users. Of course it could be coincidence but it’s funny that I see this msg from the OP after my own experience yesterday. It may well be reported in coming days that there was/is a problem. Would be curious to read if any other STW outlook or hotmail users had seen anything themselves

ebennett

Haven’t had the same issue but I can’t access the website for Hotmail using Chrome – says it’s sending back unusual and incorrect credentials. Suggests there might be a wider issue with Hotmail if a lot of us are having problems.

FWIW my work outlook.com site is working fine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ebennett – Member 
    Haven’t had the same issue but I can’t access the website for Hotmail using Chrome – says it’s sending back unusual and incorrect credentials. Suggests there might be a wider issue with Hotmail if a lot of us are having problems.

Works fine in Chrome and Edge for me.

Suggests more likely you have an issue on that PC with certificates, there’s something that’s messing with Chrome (check extensions), or if you have an ad-blocker it might be interfering with it.

DrJ – Member 
    However, when I logged out of Hotmail and logged in again, I got a similar message insisting I change my password, and confirming it with a SMS to my phone. So it seems legit

Can still be a scam. Is this message an email?

nickhit3
    Free Member

We both-as far as I know- received simultaneous sms and email notifications about “someone might be using your account” the sender is indeed MS- and the twofactor aspect to both our msgs would suggest this isn’t a scam. If the OP had logged out and then seen a password update msg when he tried logging in again, this would be typical of the MS account protection. Don’t think that is particularly suspicious.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft security alert ?!!’ is closed to new replies.