Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Microsoft Security
  • northshoreniall

Evening all, anybody else having bother with it updating? Has failed to update couple of times now. It did stop a couple of trojans a few days ago – linked?
    Cheers,
    Niall

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mine just updated fine, virus and spyware both versions 1.147.1870.0.

duntstick
    Free Member

It’s worth rebooting into ‘safe mode with networking’ (pc restart, then press F8 as it boots up)

download MBAM,

MBAM (free)

Run it , then re-start PC when it finishes.

BTW -1870 here

Stoner
    Free Member

oddly, I just went to check and it said it was up to date on 1816. Have just forced update and now too am at 1870.

Cougar

linked

Possible, some malware will actively attack AV. Run MBAM as suggested above and / or an online scan at ESET.

northshoreniall

Cheers – I’m on 165 in Security Essentials. Will a Luddite like me manage to do safe reboot etc without resorting to crying?

northshoreniall

Great – now refusing to update at all.

duntstick
    Free Member

Which is why you need to be in safe mode, dead easy. Make sure you do ‘safe mode with networking’ (comes up in the options) you can still use the internet and come back for help should you need it.

northshoreniall

Thank you duntstick – will give that a whirl.

northshoreniall

Well so far tried restart and froze ‘updating window files’. Turned off, tried restart in safe mode – froze for 5 min. Now it’s checking discs :((

duntstick
    Free Member

Oh poo, is it Windows 7, do you have a disk?

northshoreniall

Is 7, no disk – no optical drive. Passed chkdsk, just failed to configure windows features so reverting changes apparently. Luckily most important stuff backed up on Dropbox/ sticks.

duntstick
    Free Member

Is it booting ok now?

northshoreniall

It’s after restarting twice, both times updating windows for 5 minutes. Has actually updated MSE! Is it worth doing a safe boot and try MBAM anyway? I’m confused.

duntstick
    Free Member

Definitely

northshoreniall

Cheers, will try again.

northshoreniall

Quick scan done – nothing found thankfully. Will do full one tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Security’ is closed to new replies.