• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Microsoft Onedrive advice anyone?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m running a small business off a mac, and use a laptop too.

I’m thinking of storing everything on MS Onedrive, does anyone do this and any tips??

Whenever I’m on one device the latest version always seems to be on the other, so figured storing it on a cloud would be better and i wouldn’t have to computers to now reconcile and clean up!

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d suggest google drive and various apps – I find they sync together brilliantly and the word/powerpoint/excel apps they provide are good if not quite up to the standard of the MS offerings.

Mackem

No experience of oneDrive but Google Drive does the same, I like it.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use OneDrive now, after changing over to a Surface – it’s very slick, and also has apps for iPhone etc.

brant
    Free Member

I’m using onedrive, after moving over from Dropbox. Syncs great across lots of devices. Huge storage. And it’s included in my monthly Office subscription fee. 1Tb. Huge. Great.

nickjb
    Free Member

What you describe is exactly how I use dropbox. 2 computers always kept in sync with a cloud backup. Works absolutely seamlessly. I’m sure you can other systems that do the same.

allan23
    Free Member

One Drive’s pretty good. Not had any problems with sync between a phone, laptop and desktop. I use it with Office 365 so get the online office apps and a locally installed copy. After using Google Apps for a couple of years I was surprised how much better the M$ offering was.

If you’re using it for business then best get into a backup routine pretty quick off the mark. Online storage is great but if you delete or update the wrong file, it happens online too unless you can go back to a backup.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, Google drive puts deleted files in a ‘bin’ so you can retrieve them if necessary. You can also undo changes. I expect one drive would have something similar

P-Jay
    Free Member

OneDrive for Business is okay, but not ‘quiet there’ yet for us – it requires the data to be synced on physical storage. Azure is there Cloud Server offering, but it’s expensive.

MS have said they’re going to change it during the W10 roll-out, but all your devices will need to be W10 to use it.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

thanks Guys, I’ve got the 365 subscription so it just seems to work.

With regards to back up do i just copy and past everything in the dropbox folder in my finder window to an external device?

nickjb
    Free Member

With regards to back up do i just copy and past everything in the dropbox folder in my finder window to an external device?

that’s what I do. It’s more of an archive than a back up and I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use it. Still reassuring to have another copy.

jam-bo

i found upload/download speeds with onedrive painful, even with a very fast connection.

I’ve dropped it and gone back to dropbox.

skids
    Free Member

I’ve been using one drive instead of google drive now since they have integrated it into Windows, it’s good

cp

i’ve gone back to drop box as file sharing with onedrive was way too unreliable. I’d pass on shared links which would work for 50% of recipients and the others were prompted for a log on. weird.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Onedrive advice anyone?’ is closed to new replies.