Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Microsoft EMET and Chrome
  • cranberry
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of MS EMET and specifically its use with Chrome ?

We’ve had it installed at work and now can’t use Chrome – we support clients using various browsers and do actually need Chrome to do our jobs but are getting told “Computer ( department ) says no.” from the fine chaps in Security.

Chrome opens, but all you see is an “aww snap” message in each tab. I can’t imagine that even MS would put out an application that doesn’t work with the world’s most used browser, but IT are adamant that they can’t be made to work together.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

They need to update the EMET policy to disable EAF and ROP for the Chrome Executable. EMET is powerful and needs handling with care. If they’ve just blasted it out with the default policy settings and no testing stuff will be crashing all over the place 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Thanks Micky – I shall ask them if they have done that next time they come back to me.

nixie

Sounds like they need reminding that IT is there to support the needs of the business not to run around like a mini Hitler.

Cougar

They need to update the EMET policy to disable EAF and ROP

I’ve worked in technology for 25 years, I’m an acronym nerd and I don’t understand any of this. Can you expand please?

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said, just need to to adjust the EMET policy to exclude Chrome. Also bear in mind EMET is not going to be developed further by Microsoft so bit strange they’re only just pushing it out now.
    That being said it’s not unusual for a company to only support one browser officially (mine only supports IE and the various company Intranet apps are only tested using IE, I prefer Chrome though and it actually works better on most of the apps but I know it’s pointless logging a support issue for it).

cranberry
    Free Member

It would be rather like my place to deploy no longer supported security software that didn’t work properly.

They managed to turn agile development into a bureaucratic mess and IT rather frowns upon users upsetting them by using their network.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

EAF = Export Address Table Filtering
    Stops an Exploit scanning memory to find where a system function is loaded if the exploit can’t find/access the function it can’t call it.

ROP = Return Oriented Programing
    Complicated stuff Read this is you want to lose half an hour of your life.
    https://www.endgame.com/blog/rop-dying-and-your-exploit-mitigations-are-life-support

mickyfinn
    Free Member

PS its still supported until July 2018 and is a valid and useful product if you’re running 7 or 8.

cranberry
    Free Member

Thanks again Micky

Cougar

Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft EMET and Chrome’ is closed to new replies.