Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Microsoft Certification worthwhile
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I know it won’t get me a job, but how relevant is it to getting an interview?

what i have learnt has been on the job. I have no paper to prove it.

Been doing a little research and after a couple of interviews threw up a few weak points, i have been thinking if i go through the books and do a bit of self study to address those, but would doing microsoft exams add anything extra?

If it matters the areas in question are T-SQL and BI.

33tango

It certainly won’t do any harm to have a few certfications under your belt.

Daffy

They do help get your foot in the door, but mean naff all in real terms. The number of staff I’ve interviewed/hired who’ve had Microsoft certifications and almost NO investigative/problem solving skill would make you cry.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks Daffy, as said under no illusion that they will get me a job, but anything gets an interview has to be worth something?

titusrider
    Free Member

Worth having just to tick the box really and increases your value if ur employer/potential employer is a gold partner.

If you want a detailed view I’m MCSE:BI and did it recently with 5 exams (oh and we are looking to hire MS bi experts in the southeast) feel free to drop me a mail.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Studying for them is helpful, it exposes you to new functionality not used in many environments and can give you something useful to talk about at interview. The only ones that were really worth something are the rare MCM and MCA qualifications, which are unfortunately no longer available to take.

duckers
    Free Member

Doing the latest ones often covers the newest product features, and for self taught devs (ie no degree in relevant subject) they confirm you at least “may” have the skills your cv says you have, and if you have been in the same job a long time they will give you a broader insight. Join microsoft virtual academy and watch the 70-461, 70-462 and 70-463 jump start series to get an idea of exam content (about 7 hours of videos each).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Certification worthwhile’ is closed to new replies.