Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • microshift shifters
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

anyone used them?

Noticed shifters (f+r) and both mechs for £115 on ebay

Have heard mixed reviews from ‘dont’ bother to ‘these are great and work well

anyone tried them?

Reason i ask is i’ve now taken ultegra shifters and mechs off my road bike so i can race cross. I miss my road bike so was thinking i’d rather trash these shifters on my cross bike than my bloody expensive ultegra shifters

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74216

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/microshift-my-experience-244338.html

wwaswas

was a thread on here yesterday – thinkt he consensus was ‘they’re fine’

trickydisco
    Free Member

*goes away and uses the search function*

wwaswas

*pleased he managed to point someone at the search function without actually saying ‘use the search function’*

🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

then again they’re not specifically discussing the centos shifters 😀

wwaswas

you’re not wrong.

I’d go for the £200 carbon option if it wasn’t called ‘Arsis’.

nedrapier

I can specifically say that I’ve got their thumbshifters and they work very nicely indeed.

Hope this helps. Although I can’t imagine that it would.

scaredypants

maybe you could keep your ultegra shifters and just buy mechs – shifters won’t get ruined by cx, will they ?

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve used them for two weeks on a hire bike in Mallorca. I’d stick with the major brands. The lever throw needed for the front mech is massive (wouldn’t fancy it on a cross bike), and it is hard to upshift on the rear in the drops. Shifting is ok on the rear, not so good on the front (esp comapred to new shimano).

trickydisco
    Free Member

maybe you could keep your ultegra shifters and just buy mechs – shifters won’t get ruined by cx, will they

but like i say, i need to sets of shifters/mechs. 1 set (preferably more rubbish) for cross racing and another for the road bike for training/club runs

scaredypants

oh, OK – I thought you just wanted sacrificial cheap stuff for cx season to protect the ultegra for the roadie later

(It’d annoy me to have 2 different ways of operating shifters, I think)

Yak

I’ve got microshift cheap-something and can upshift fine on the rear from the drops- but it’s not as nice/easy as regular shimano etc. Think sora, but with the upshift lever outside and lower.

I reckon, better than sora, but worse than tiagra upwards.

trickydisco
    Free Member

oh, OK – I thought you just wanted sacrificial cheap stuff for cx season to protect the ultegra for the roadie later

ah sorry.. yea I want the roadie and cx bike both sorted. But to do this i need a cheap set for the cx as i’ve currently got my ultegra on the cx bike.

So was looking for something cheap but even 105./tiagra is coming up expensive

scaredypants

I know what you mean about expensive. I was lucky and got a pr of tiagra sti on here for 70 quid the other day (in what seems to be great nick). I had been looking at microshift but didn’t fancy the different shifting

Yak

apologies – not like sora as you don’t shift with the brake lever, but its all about whether you get on with the upshift.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well i tried these in anger in a cross yesterday and i got to say i’m well impressed. Worked faultless and I actually liked the way they worked, Very solid and shifting was perfect.

£115 for the whole set – 2 shifters, front and rear mech.

twinklydave

Been running the Arsis shifters & White mechs on my 2nd road bike for just over a year now. Brilliant performance. Some would say the shifts are ‘clunkier’ than Shimano STI’s give, but it’s a nice, positive clikc into each gear and so far I’ve not missed a single gear change while riding or racing crits/on the road.

The lever for upshifts is a little more awkward to reach when right down on the drops compared Shimano levers, but I’ve managed fine so far. In fact it’s almost worth it to have a brake lever that doesn’t move around when you’ve got your fingers wrapped around it!

They’re also lighter than the Shimano equivalent. Oh and the jockey wheels in the rear mech have lasted far better than the standard Shimano cheese ones too

Well recommended.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘microshift shifters’ is closed to new replies.